Active Topics

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Bare with me these days if I'm too silent outside, have no doubt that I keep doing my best inside.
Thanks, and good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
@qgil: Did nokia employees know about the deal before, or expected it?
Considering more than 1000+ employees in Finland walked out in disgust after hearing the news, I'm pretty sure the answer is "no". Same happened even with employees who were at the actual event!

Just have a look at Quim's twitter feed and you'll see; they were all expecting something big and positive, and instead they were basically stabbed in the face.

Management by press conference is terrible. I hope everyone working on MeeGo in Nokia will find new jobs in HP and Intel, or even better, flip the bird at the corporate world and start something new and awesome.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to toyg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
heres a blog post from a Nokia employee and his take on what happened yesterday.
Its a good read and he seems optimistic about MeeGo's future.
http://blog.heapmemory.net/?p=31

Could Elop of been down Playing MeeGo's role within Nokia Microsoft talks just to get this deal with Microsoft to replace symbian?

Last edited by NvyUs; 2011-02-12 at 17:04.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
This is the time to establish your tech company in espoo, lots of angry talent around.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
The thing is, Quim, although your own passions are pure, you've always been the apologist for the corporate behemoth, never prepared to risk your neck and your job to do what Maemo/Meego needed for success within the stifling bureaucratic "play-it-safe" environment that Nokia seems to represent.
Do you honestly believe that's a more productive strategy than working in the system to make what changes you can? (Which, I imagine, aren't insignificant.)

It's awfully easy to sit and judge from the sidelines (trust me, I do it a lot), but it's a different thing when you have all the information and when its your livelihood in question.

Unfortunately we don't have all the information, but I can't help but believe I'd like to have been a fly on the wall during some of Quim's hallway chats. Frankly, I'd rather know someone is doing what they can where they are than see them go out in a blaze of glory. Telling people off is rarely an effective strategy to win them over to your point of view.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2011-02-13 at 03:49. Reason: N900 posting fail

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
Could Elop of been down Playing MeeGo's role within Nokia Microsoft talks just to get this deal with Microsoft to replace symbian?
You give him a lot of credit. He's the one who sold Macromedia to Adobe; I rest my case.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toyg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by toyg View Post
management by press conference is terrible.
That's the only way it could be done. In companies with public shareholders the management can't disclose stock sensitive information to employees first.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Originally Posted by toyg View Post
You give him a lot of credit. He's the one who sold Macromedia to Adobe; I rest my case.
a CEO can't just sell a company like you think, its not Even CEO's decision

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Banstead UK
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
I stay strong and will buy the meego device... and if it is just to show elop that he is wrong!
Who is with me?
All I can say forget the Nokia board and their CEO peeing their pants just to keep warm. The sensible thing to have done was to announce Meego but go full steam ahead with maemo 6 with QT fully on board along with heavy UI animation translations. IMO by now we would have a maemo 6 (N9 E7 style device). Maemo is stable and has lots of apps. I have to agree Nokia's execution has been poor. I'm just feeling sad . I will never by a Windows phone so there. MS is not getting any of my £500.

The Following User Says Thank You to archaz For This Useful Post:
On a serious note.

I don't know what to make of all this really. i have always had nokia phones and an open source phone/tablet like my N900 is by far the best of the bunch and even better than other brands that i have tested.

I will be quite happy to keep my N900 for another year because TMO will be around for quite a while so apps will still be worked on, unless everyone jumps ship all at once which i doubt because open source phones may become a thing of the past so the N900 may still be a decent device for some newcomers and present ones to continue to work on.

So i may bide my time and monitor how things develop in the future.

handhelds running mame really well, GP2x (mk2), GP2x wiz, JXD s7300

Samsung galaxy note 2 owner and of course mame on that too

ex - Xbox 360 user - here is the reason -

I am back Xboxing again - and here is what i did to correct it -

***UPDATE*** now 47 months on and x-clamp fix has just failed....not a bad run

Last edited by Bazza; 2011-02-12 at 18:21.

Tags
eflop, elop at a pole, tags gone awol