Active Topics

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
"transition years" my arse.

2011: 'strategic partnership'
2012: Nokia becomes part of Microsoft

I'm getting a sim card for my old 3310

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AndyNokia232 For This Useful Post:
Meanwhile, gross margins will decline as a result of the royalty payments to Microsoft
WTF?!! Royalty payments? Oh dear, oh dear

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
So, if I go and buy my girlfriend an E7 (when it comes to the States in 2019) it'll still be ok right? I mean it's not as if she even knows anything about anything when it comes to technology, she'll just be happy it's shiny, sexy, new and most importantly VERY expensive. It'll do everything she asks for in a phone device, and even if the Ovi store completely goes, and Ovi suite completely goes, she still will love the E7. So F it, I'm going to do it. Even if it's just to say in my heart of hearts, "I liked Nokia, and this agreement is utter BS."

Or am I crazy?

Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
There will be no more changing strategy or direction, just cash-backed dogged determination. ...Nokia is 'all in' with M$ now and likely not wearing protection.
I agree with this part. It's make it or break it. If they don't succeed, it's going to be too late.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gadgety For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by naabi View Post
The amount of opinions, information and disinformation is astonishing. E.g. Eldar Murtazin writes to his twitter account that Nokia will publish a Maemo 6 device instead of Meego. Who knows. He also wrote yesterday that Nokia will deliver an Android device next year. Sometimes he knows quite well, but quite often he's FOS.
maybe eldar is finally out from the loop and knows as much as we all do, trying to get more clicks....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
maybe eldar is finally out from the loop and knows as much as we all do, trying to get more clicks....
Eldar was always out from the loop, he was dabbling in wild speculations for years. But with his aggressive 'I know what I know, dare you to prove me wrong' approach, he used the same strategy astrologers and other charlatans use - throw out anything that you can think of, in 99% of the cases you'll be wrong, but the rest 1% of you being 'right' is all that people will remember...

He was a 'name' only in the eyes of the uninformed -_-

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
I don't know if Slashdot's take on nokia's capitulation has been mentioned yet, but as you can expect, the ~100% support nokia had among geeks until the other day of elop's making ("which will live in infamy") appears to have been fully reversed.

(I read with threshold 2 to keep profanities at minimum)

So, the old cashcow symbian is fscked and *all* gains gained among the trend-setters in the last several years have been pissed away overnight.

Smart move by the eloper guy to keep his ms stock while not investing any in the one company he set out to kneecap!

Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
I didn't pay much attention to the speculation of Elop/MS for his own profit. But, it does look that way. After all, there is NO reason why this strategy had to be unveilved, and i'm not talking WP7 - they could have gone WP7 as an extra line, as the spot of Maemo/MeeGo, until MeeGo comes along and then simply have 2 high-end OSs. That would not only win them more marketshare and sell more devices, it would put them ahead of the competition by being the big name they are and having two OSs, one open and one closed. It also wouldn't involve this 'transition' period where no one will buy Symbian. In fact, rather than have any loss at all, they would have everything they currently have AND a high-end line to boot. Win-win, surely?

The fact Elop said 'no, let's stop everything and just do WP7' is suspicious. And i'm aware he said they'll still make/sell Symbian, but i'm also aware, as everyone else here is, that no one will buy them now the development platform and the OS have been axed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to richwhite For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
At least we get funny pics thanks to this.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
hey guys I think Elop just joked about going wp7. Nokia will release two nice meego handsets at MWC and one tablet!! woho

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-02-12 at 23:12.

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org