Active Topics

Originally Posted by naabi View Post
After this news started spreading Nokia gave out information that Elop sold most of his MS shares before joining Nokia, but couldn't get rid of it all, since the strategic work started involving MS. He naturally hasn't been able to buy any Nokia shares for the same reason.

I guess currently his possible Nokia bonuses have much higher value than he could get from MS share prices.
so what does this mean? he's gone from being e.g the 4th largest individual shareholder to the 7th? or that website that people rely on for financial information is a few months out of date? remind me not to use it.. something is rotten in the state of denmark. finland i mean.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by naabi View Post
Nokia had a nice vision, but maybe their strategy was not realistic. Qt is really nice idea, but building a cross-platform development framework sloooows you down. Meego is a really nice idea, but building an OS that fits everywhere really sloooows you down. In my opinion they tried to to do everything at once, and it seemed to be the wrong way. This is definitely hindsight, I thought they were going to succeed.
Vision and ability to finish that vision is what was in question. It hadn't netted a finished product yet.

Posts: 219 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by svdwal View Post
Nokia's problem is execution in software. Nokia's software skills are rubbish, and MeeGo has become part of the problem, instead of the solution.
And this is based on what? It's a know fact that Symbian is a really hard platform to develop for. It was build when hardware resources were something totally different compared to today. It's extremely optimized for memory and power consumption, no dice when you have basic C skills. Developing Qt on this platform must have been hell of a job and it affects the schedule of Qt progress for other platforms also if you want to maintain it cross-platform compatible. Jesus they have a D-Bus abstraction for inter-process communications on Symbian also.

The Following User Says Thank You to naabi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by 2disbetter View Post
Honestly, I can't believe how narrow minded some of the folks are on this board. I can understand resentment from anyone in Finland. I really can, and for obvious reasons. However, asks yourselves this: Would it have been better to let Nokia stay on it's old current path and fade away, or is it better to have a big shake up now, and return the company to it's former glory?
The thing is, I don't think there was anything inherently wrong with Nokia's strategy before this decision, maybe it could use a little tweaking, but the real problems lay in the execution of the strategy and the management inside Nokia. Elop should have had an internal shake-up to make Nokia focus on producing the products they needed. That Nokia never managed to get the Meego/Harmatten phone released last year is more likely due to bad management than bad strategic planning. If I really thought this new strategy would return Nokia to its former glory I would accept that, but I don't think it will, Microsoft's track record in the mobile space has been appalling.

There has always been a lot of hate towards MS on these boards
The hate towards MS is not undeserved, if you don't realise this then you need to read up on Microsoft's history. They have a history of screwing over their competitors and business partners alike, they have been convicted of anti-competitive monopolistic behaviour multiple times, they have proven that they will use illegal methods as well as legal ones to try and get what they want.

but realistically to compete with iOS and Android, you need money, lots of it.
Nokia have lots of money, that hasn't been the problem for them.

So its not about personal agendas, its about making a company produce a winning product again. In retrospect had Nokia embraced the N900 more we might not have been here today.
Yep, but unfortunately I think this new strategy will only serve to further marginalise Nokia. Maybe I will be proved wrong though.

I'm sadden by the marginalization of Meego. I was really looking forward to it, and the N9. The changes in Nokia are vast and wide spread, yet I really didn't see any other way out.
Ok, the future for Meego didn't look great, but I'm not sure the future of WP7 looks great. At least with Meego they had some control over the platform, they won't get that with WP7. And a potential way out of the lack of Meego apps situation could have been achieved with Alien Dalvik.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Nokia can do to WP7. I look forward to buying their next phone as well. Until then I'm rocking the N900 for as long as it works.

2d
Well, I really do hope you are satisfied with what they produce. I'd like to say that for myself, but I know I'll never be satisfied with using MS software.

The best I can hope for is that the Meego phone they are working on will actually be released and be worth buying.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
I can tell you that people in Finland are mad as hell about this. The government seems unlikely to do anything about it beyond helping the 20 000 people who will lose their jobs find new jobs. It's almost 0.5% of the population that will be jobless soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 219 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by leetnoob View Post
so what does this mean? he's gone from being e.g the 4th largest individual shareholder to the 7th? or that website that people rely on for financial information is a few months out of date? remind me not to use it.. something is rotten in the state of denmark. finland i mean.
I don't know what's rotten in your opinion, but seems you're referring to sales that are done when you're an insider. You can trade when you're an insider, but it's very risky. Trades after Elop was removed from inside registry can't be found from there, and he was registered again as MS insider when strategic work between Nokia and MS begun.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
However, asks yourselves this: Would it have been better to let Nokia stay on it's old current path and fade away, or is it better to have a big shake up now, and return the company to it's former glory?
I couldn't care less for Nokia, Microsoft, or whatever other company there is; this is not good news for the consumer. For a plethora of reasons I'm sure you're well aware of.

There has always been a lot of hate towards MS on these boards, but realistically to compete with iOS and Android, you need money, lots of it.
I don't hate MS. Nor do I hate Apple, Nokia, HTC, Samsung, LG, Motorola, HP or whoever. Having emotions for some company is pretty childish, IMO. Heck, I'd buy a device directly from Apple or Microsoft should it fit my needs. But it won't, one wants to turn gadgets into toasters, the other is trying their best to copy the first 'strategy'.

And Nokia was the only one that had money, lots of it, to offer a third way, the one I prefer... Now that's gone down the drain, and as a long-time Nokia supporter I think I have a right to be disappointed.

Because that is the only way you're going to be able to pay engineers to build you a winning eco system.
I swear to god, I'll go medieval on the next person I hear mention the new buzzword `ecosystem`! And just when I thought that corporate BS cannot go further than the previous buzzword - HTML5

Also devs need faith the system is going to be in place for a while. Anyone who developed anything for the N900 knows exactly what I mean. Make an app for the iPhone and you can be assured your product will have a long life cycle. Android is likewise.
Yeah, Microsoft is really famous for providing mobile systems that are 'in place for a while'. Unlike Symbian which has been around for a decade (true, it changed a lot, and development for it was a bi*ch, but porting from an older version to a newer was pretty trivial). So, now we have a platform from a company that was never able to provide a sustainable mobile solution executed by a company that worked on per-device basis and providing no real long term support. Yeah, I can see how that will slide with us, developers...

And just as Nokia was starting to get their head out of their arses with the one-Qt-to-bind-them-all strategy. Couldn't have picked the worse moment for this shift - now even the ones that finally decided to give Nokia a chance will run away (you can check their reactions, for example, HERE). Great job alienating people, they really outdid themselves this time!

I'm looking forward to seeing what Nokia can do to WP7. I look forward to buying their next phone as well.
Good for you. As for me, if I wanted an iPhone, I'd already buy it instead of waiting for its even more walled-in clone to arrive from Nokia.

Originally Posted by deyons View Post
I want you to keep in mind shitty Symbian3 sold 6 million phones in a shorter time then WP7 took to sell 2 million WP7 phones on different manufactures.
A small correction, MS sold 2M licenses for the WP7, there is no available info on how much of those landed in end customer's hands.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Why are there so many people on this site so interested in Nokia's proper business strategy and apparently so uninterested in things like maemo.org or even internettablettalk?

My main interest is I bought some devices from Nokia (N800, N810 and N900) and want to continue buying similar devices. Besides that, I don't care if Nokia goes down the tubes or becomes Queen of the May.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
and here in the USA>....

mark is now gone...totally loyal too!

guess who he was replaced by!? you guessed it....16 year ms employee.

http://www.mobiletechworld.com/2011/...-nokia-inc-us/

The Following User Says Thank You to ceroberts75 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
can't blame him. He played his cards buetyfull.

Im sure he will leave when the merge is complete. And rich as hell

Tags
crybabies, elop rapes dogs, kajko is elop's, lover. cute., w32.elop.trojan