I am so pissed of with Stephen Elop. ... Is there anything we can do
Pee in his coffee and call it a day.

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
gerbick, PLEASE change your avatar!!!
Dang, was offline.
Screenshots?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Dang, was offline.
Screenshots?

It wasn't that bad...

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

It wasn't that bad...
lol nice getup..
you looked ready to take down a goliath in that suit..
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
However I completely fail to see how they think this is a solution.

The only winner in this is Microsoft.

It is clear that if you are simply a windows phone hardware manufacturer the profit margins are going to be very very small. The only way Nokia will be able to get remotely close to its current level of profits from symbians massive sales is by totally killing R&D budget and by laying off tons of staff. On a human level none of us should see this as a good solution....
The HTC Desire has been out for ages and yet looks a million times better than the N8 which just came out. The N900 looks like a black brick. Some may like that but not the mass market. Windows Phones 7 are all the same in terms of functionality. So how many would really look at a Nokia W7 phone and pick it over those from HTC or Samsung. Apart from fanboys I suspect very very few. ...
Is it the fact that they have 32gb internal memory plus sd card? If I recall W7 phones don't even support external sd cards and Nokia has recently been using 16gb anyway.

So if hardware alone is not going to make people always choose Nokia over HTC or Samsung exactly how do those supporting this move think it is going to make Nokia as much money as they are now? I just don't see it.

What I see is Microsoft buying Nokia for peanuts in a couple of years. If that happens and turns out that was always Elop and Microsoft's plan can they be sued for fraud or something? Surely they should not be allowed to get away with such evil business practices.

Well, if you look at the facts you laid out a bit differently, you might reach slightly different conclusions. Yes, if you don't produce your own OS you have a lower profit margin. On the other hand, you point out that employees will be let go. The upshot of this is that you don't have the cost of creating and maintaining the OS. Given that Nokia is spending much, much more than even Apple who also makes their own OS (wasn't it $2 billion vs. $464 million over the same time period?), this could result in a net savings. Doing things in-house is not always cheaper. Drawing on my own field, it's often cheaper to use trucking firms to deliver your outbound freight rather than creating and maintaining a private fleet. Given that Microsoft really, really wanted this deal, it's likely they've also given Nokia a bargain on licensing costs - they may be looking to make their money from the ecosystem (where Nokia probably isn't making much if any now anyway).

Looks are a bit hard to get into since they're all just rectangular slabs anyway and I wouldn't be likely to tell one phone from another if my life depended on it. The N8 does come in nice colors, though. It's also not just the looks - you're omitting the fact that the N8 has a photo sensor rivalling that found in standalone p&s cameras! When the mock-ups of a Nokia WP7 phone appeared on engadget, the comments were filled with people saying they'd buy it. I said elsewhere - it shows that people love Nokia hardware and hate Nokia software. The Nokia name is still synonymous in people's minds with great hardware. I also said that they'd buy any Nokia phone so long as they knew Nokia didn't write the software, even if it was running Microsoft Bob.

On your other hardware point, it voids the warranty, but you can replace/upgrade the memory card on the new Dell WP7 phone.

Nokia doesn't "have to make as much money as they do now". I hope they don't initially. I know from personal experience that when a company dominates to the point it just has to sit back and let the money roll in, it becomes complacent and its managers don't want to touch anything for fear they'll knock the company off auto-pilot *cough*Bed Bath & Beyond*cough*. They're going to have to start coming up with new ideas if they want to build back revenue. In fact, a recent article about Microsoft proposed they artificially create something similar - start giving out dividends and agrreeing to increase those dividends each quarter. This would put pressure on the company to start creating new revenue streams.
Nokia does have to stop the market share slide, however. They're not going to build an ecosystem overnight even with Microsoft's help, but they'll be able to get back in the game quickly and go up from there.

Why would Microsoft want to buy Nokia? They've always been about the software. Toshiba built the first Zune - Microsoft didn't buy them.

Finally, Elop is not a trojan horse sent into Nokia by Microsoft (who used mind control to get the board to hire him) to intentionally destroy Nokia (again while the board and shareholders are paralysed) just so Microsoft can buy a company at a bargain price that it doesn't need.

The Following User Says Thank You to alcalde For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Am not sure to tell you your a fool for leaving Nokia or... a wise move, but we sure as hell need you here !.
I didn't leave Nokia. My position was eliminated as one of their frequent re-orgs.

But yes, it's looking like a good deal now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Symbian isn't Maemo.
Thanks for bringing that up, I didnt't know as well that WP7 isn't Maemo. What's your point? Nokia never planned to release Maemo/MeeGo on non touch devices. They have a huge market built solely on Symbian, why throw it away. It can't be beat on functionalty on non touch.

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Mostly in my shitty job.
Give 'em hell Randall!!!

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
I'm not sure of anyone has seen this video on the BBC yet?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12427680

Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
Well, if you look at the facts you laid out a bit differently, you might reach slightly different conclusions. Yes, if you don't produce your own OS you have a lower profit margin. On the other hand, you point out that employees will be let go. The upshot of this is that you don't have the cost of creating and maintaining the OS. Given that Nokia is spending much, much more than even Apple who also makes their own OS (wasn't it $2 billion vs. $464 million over the same time period?), this could result in a net savings. Doing things in-house is not always cheaper. Drawing on my own field, it's often cheaper to use trucking firms to deliver your outbound freight rather than creating and maintaining a private fleet. Given that Microsoft really, really wanted this deal, it's likely they've also given Nokia a bargain on licensing costs - they may be looking to make their money from the ecosystem (where Nokia probably isn't making much if any now anyway).

Looks are a bit hard to get into since they're all just rectangular slabs anyway and I wouldn't be likely to tell one phone from another if my life depended on it. The N8 does come in nice colors, though. It's also not just the looks - you're omitting the fact that the N8 has a photo sensor rivalling that found in standalone p&s cameras! When the mock-ups of a Nokia WP7 phone appeared on engadget, the comments were filled with people saying they'd buy it. I said elsewhere - it shows that people love Nokia hardware and hate Nokia software. The Nokia name is still synonymous in people's minds with great hardware. I also said that they'd buy any Nokia phone so long as they knew Nokia didn't write the software, even if it was running Microsoft Bob.

On your other hardware point, it voids the warranty, but you can replace/upgrade the memory card on the new Dell WP7 phone.

Nokia doesn't "have to make as much money as they do now". I hope they don't initially. I know from personal experience that when a company dominates to the point it just has to sit back and let the money roll in, it becomes complacent and its managers don't want to touch anything for fear they'll knock the company off auto-pilot *cough*Bed Bath & Beyond*cough*. They're going to have to start coming up with new ideas if they want to build back revenue. In fact, a recent article about Microsoft proposed they artificially create something similar - start giving out dividends and agrreeing to increase those dividends each quarter. This would put pressure on the company to start creating new revenue streams.
Nokia does have to stop the market share slide, however. They're not going to build an ecosystem overnight even with Microsoft's help, but they'll be able to get back in the game quickly and go up from there.

Why would Microsoft want to buy Nokia? They've always been about the software. Toshiba built the first Zune - Microsoft didn't buy them.

Finally, Elop is not a trojan horse sent into Nokia by Microsoft (who used mind control to get the board to hire him) to intentionally destroy Nokia (again while the board and shareholders are paralysed) just so Microsoft can buy a company at a bargain price that it doesn't need.
Nokia spends a lot on symbian, but symbian is on the way out anyway and money would have been there for meego.
But I agree maintaining an OS is expensive,
but at least its yours and it allows you to be different than the rest.

You say people buy nokia because of hardware, not software. Maybe today, but it was completely different a few years ago!
(with few years I mean 2 years or more)
I always bought nokia handsets because of symbian, it was the only true smartphone OS! (windows mobile was a mess)

So Nokia's dominance on the mobile market was due to its software, not its hardware! People here seems to forget that.
Meego would at least have been able to win over the symbian folks and strenghtening the nokia brand. You know, nokia is still a strong brand, now its brand is just windows.

Now whatever strategy Nokia will never be as dominant as before, the problem is the management still thinks it will be a big as in earlier days, and MS is seen as the way to achieve that goal, while in fact its the final nail in the coffin.

Last edited by Rugoz; 2011-02-13 at 13:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:

Tags
buysomethinelse, me ego, megone, naysaying, quit whining