I just want to know what would've made a better platform Android or MeeGo?

Android is now pushing insignificant updates compared to before, I feel it is reaching a plateau. And there is no denying that the software runs noticably slower than it should on the hardware (I've seen first hand how the N8 can outpace the SE Xperia X10: ARM11 vs Snapdragon)

So the question really is=
Is Qt not as great as we thought it to be?

Surely if it was faster than the java* implementation in Android, and provided the promised cross-platform compatability (between ARM and x86) .... Nokia would've realeased it already.

Is Qt a dud?

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
was android perfect upon its release? how is it doing today?
There are bug reports for meego which say that battery charging still doesn't work properly (for the n900). This is too far away from perfect. It makes meego useless for production purposes (at the moment).

Last edited by bobbyfisher; 2011-02-14 at 09:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to bobbyfisher For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Is Qt a dud?
Qt is the technology behind one of the two major Linux desktop GUIs, and as such has been used every day on millions of computers for over a decade now. So, Qt itself is no dud; had Nokia chosen to actually use it for a phone, rather than hem and haw and finally throw up their hands and let some other company write the all OS software for all of their phones, we might have had a chance to see how well it would really perform...

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris
Wow, so this is going on and on ; From what I gather ppl are already mad at Nokia for being unreadable, constantly switching horses, this is not going to improve I guess.

I mean it's all about consistency in mobile devices : Ppl are *scared* of machines you know. You don't realize, you fiddle with bash on chrooted phones, but out there people barely dare tapping the icons on their new fancy phone (that they bough because they were practically forced to by overwhelming marketing forces).

Is there such a thing as techno-fatigue ? I guess Nokia is tired of all that, and wants to quietly go out of business.

If thats the case, then way to go, ditch the most used mobile OS for the least-used one.

Even here where I live (Africa) where MSoft was once very popular, it's starting to look bleak. Who wants to use windows anyway ? Windows is soo passé. I really mean it ; I work with teachers, school directors, students, parents, and they're all mad at MSoft. Look closer, everybody hates Microsoft. They dragged the entire IT business down ever since they came into business, forcing adoption of bad technologies, burying good ones, and generally behaving like a bully to users, and like a regular thug to competitors ; If they had their way, things would be even worse now.

Now they want to kill QT. One can understand why they would want to do that. QT is cool. QT works ; QT is a real threat to them.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
So long as people are blaming Elop as the source of the problem, then they will be missing the bigger issue.

He is a black sheep.

A logical red herring to stop your thoughts from tracing the true issue.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
Meego just doesn't exist, so it is a drawing board OS that is easy to get rid of now, whereas supporting it if phones were using it takes resources, so it makes sense to jump ship.

Then again they jumped into bed with ballmer and M$, silly people. WP7 is dire and isn't selling, M$ is jaded in a world of open source they still cling to an old model. IE9 and internet standards, buying the docx support and dubious business practices and they still have no search website like google and can't compete in the mobile market. Me thinks Nokia are on the way out with going to WP7.

Wonder if Elop still drawers a salary from M$ for this jump?

Anti-Nokia Ambassador

The Following User Says Thank You to twigleaf1976 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pxa270 View Post
I know it's popular at the moment to lay all the blame at Elop or at Nokia management (current or past). But maybe the truth is really that MeeGo was just to late and not good enough?

The impression that I get from various threads here and elsewhere is that at the moment MeeGo is still nowhere near ready, and an end-user ready release is at least another 6 months away. Now in the alternative world were Nokia did decide to ride it out with MeeGo, by the time it's finally market ready (autumn? winter?), was it actually going to be better for mass market end users than the iPhone 5 or the Samsung and HTC Android 3.x devices it would be competing against? Somehow I doubt it.

Of course, I don't believe that Nokia WP7 devices are anywhere near ready yet, and they may take even longer to get on the market. So it's not like I'm endorsing this move. All I'm saying is, maybe Nokia's fate was already sealed a long time ago. Maybe the only way they could have turned the tide was if they had reacted faster, developed faster, delivered faster than they could.
frankly, it doesn't matter to >me< whether MeeGo is ready or not, my loyalty is to an open platform not Nokia itself.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Well, thats the Evil side of a public owned corporation:

Finnish Newspaper Reports That American Investors Forced Nokia To Hire Stephen Elop [Nokia's New CEO Is The First Non-Finn In The Company's History - But New Report Claims That Nokia's Hand Was Forced In Hiring

The source of this article is Kauppalehti, a newspaper from Finland. Unfortunately, the investors are unnamed in the report.
Off topic:

You must be slavic to have that avatar

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
So long as people are blaming Elop as the source of the problem, then they will be missing the bigger issue.

He is a black sheep.

A logical red herring to stop your thoughts from tracing the true issue.
The source as in Micro($)oft

The Following User Says Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
I just want to know what would've made a better platform Android or MeeGo?

Android is now pushing insignificant updates compared to before, I feel it is reaching a plateau. And there is no denying that the software runs noticably slower than it should on the hardware (I've seen first hand how the N8 can outpace the SE Xperia X10: ARM11 vs Snapdragon)

So the question really is=
Is Qt not as great as we thought it to be?

Surely if it was faster than the java* implementation in Android, and provided the promised cross-platform compatability (between ARM and x86) .... Nokia would've realeased it already.

Is Qt a dud?
Check out TwimGo. It seems to be running smoother on N8's ARM 11 rather than N900's Cortex A8.

Tags
bada rox, meego rip