Active Topics

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
There is no three horse race. There are three big horses, iOS, Symbian and Android, and then there are a bunch of small ones, Blackberry, WebOS, Meego, WP, Bada, LiMo and possibly some others too.
Ok, I love horse racing so I think I can carry this metaphor far. Symbian used to race in stakes races(smart phones) but has gotten very old and is now relegated to cheap claiming races and can no longer earn more than it costs for stable space, feed and vet bills. It's time to retire her and let her become a riding pony for awhile, then put her out to pasture. WP7 is a 2-year-old who hasn't won its first maiden race yet but is showing good early speed and has just been claimed by an owner who's pairing her with one of the world's top trainers. The horse also has a superb pedigree/genes. Once the horse's few problems are ironed out she stands to be a formidible competitor on the track.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
There is no three horse race. There are three big horses, iOS, Symbian and Android, and then there are a bunch of small ones, Blackberry, WebOS, Meego, WP, Bada, LiMo and possibly some others too.
And who doesn't want a pony?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Meego is based on Fedora which is a normal linux/x11 distro and since I've been a linux user since 1998 i can say I've seen meego lots of times. This is what people don't seem to get that as long as the system uses linux/x11 and comes with a c compiler it doesn't matter if it's called Maemo or Meego or something else. All gazillions of open source apps that already exists will run just fine with slight modifications to squeeze it into a smaller display.
I got yelled at for claiming MeeGo is a UI layer on top of regular Linux. I was told that MeeGo has "layers" that make it MeeGo and that's why Smeegol wasn't MeeGo. I'm assuming that MeeGo's employing a new desktop framework or something (for notifications, data sharing, etc.) and apps will need to take advantage of those libraries to be fully integrated, but I don't know. That's because we haven't seen MeeGo yet. I don't believe any pics of the final smartphone UI (unlike the tablet UI) were ever released.

Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
I got yelled at for claiming MeeGo is a UI layer on top of regular Linux. I was told that MeeGo has "layers" that make it MeeGo and that's why Smeegol wasn't MeeGo. I'm assuming that MeeGo's employing a new desktop framework or something (for notifications, data sharing, etc.) and apps will need to take advantage of those libraries to be fully integrated, but I don't know. That's because we haven't seen MeeGo yet. I don't believe any pics of the final smartphone UI (unlike the tablet UI) were ever released.
Well, I won't yell at you for saying that. I don't know what Smeegol is but I think they mean binary compatibility with Meego. If you have the source for the program you can make it run on any linux/x11 distro. But for a binary (possibly proprietary) program to work on both Smeegol and Meego they must use ABI compatible versions of all packages that they are built on. Nowadays most stuff just works but sometimes things break when packages (i.e Qt) are not of the same version. For me Meego could just as well be called Fedora Mobile.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Well, I won't yell at you for saying that. I don't know what Smeegol is but I think they mean binary compatibility with Meego. If you have the source for the program you can make it run on any linux/x11 distro. But for a binary (possibly proprietary) program to work on both Smeegol and Meego they must use ABI compatible versions of all packages that they are built on. Nowadays most stuff just works but sometimes things break when packages (i.e Qt) are not of the same version. For me Meego could just as well be called Fedora Mobile.
except meego is not strictly for mobile only.
IPTV/mediabox,In vehicle systems,tablets,netbook etc.
Just bottom layer for these environments. Basically stuff where android + google are slowly going.

Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
Ok, I love horse racing so I think I can carry this metaphor far. Symbian used to race in stakes races(smart phones) but has gotten very old and is now relegated to cheap claiming races and can no longer earn more than it costs for stable space, feed and vet bills. It's time to retire her and let her become a riding pony for awhile, then put her out to pasture. WP7 is a 2-year-old who hasn't won its first maiden race yet but is showing good early speed and has just been claimed by an owner who's pairing her with one of the world's top trainers. The horse also has a superb pedigree/genes. Once the horse's few problems are ironed out she stands to be a formidible competitor on the track.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

How many people owned the HTC WinMO's who instantly converted to Android overnight when the hack was available?

Thats why this "horse" Winmo is destined to lose.. because its family has already hit rock bottom and will repeat itself again with that track record!

The Following User Says Thank You to bchliu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on May 2010 @ NewYork
I will sum up the capability's of WP7s multitasking and other software features.

WindowsPhone7=Huge Pile of S H I T

I don't get it, WP7 is very young (only ~5 months?), give it 10 years?

Originally Posted by eikido View Post
I don't get it, WP7 is very young (only ~5 months?), give it 10 years?
14 years of development and millions of dollars, c'mon, young?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_CE

All OS develop over time, like Symbian, S60, Symbian^3.
Or Android 1.0, Android 2.2, Android 2.3

It's no excuse WP7 is young, just because it had a name change.

And seriously, multi-core support is no picnic to make. It took years to have everything in Linux thread-safe and support multiple processors.

As the Plan B says, lets give Microsoft a chance to show what it can give, by making two Nokia-WP7 phones for North American market and try to get operators to love them. If it works, sure, make more.

But do not stop Meego development because that is really a way to be really different and (IMHO) the best. Many Android-developers would jump to Meego straight if it would additionally have Dalvik VM.
Nokia should concentrate to get Meego UI and the most important OS applications ready and shining. It wouldn't matter there is not much Qt-apps, if under FOSS or Alien Dalvik we could run thousands of Android-apps.

In my personal opinion Qt+QML = QtQuick is a mess. C++ itself is a mess (compared to Java) but having two syntaxes (C++, QML) and totally new design patterns are a real trouble.
Sure, support QtQuick in Meego, of course, but support Android and Java apps too.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:

Tags
a hoax, alcalde babble, bla bla bla, micronokiasoft, nokia sux nuts, nokia=epic fail, plan(a-z), plan(t)