Active Topics

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by mmurfin87 View Post
There are certainly shortcomings that I don't think ever will get addressed related to the extendability of certain OS components that the n900 had, but I digress.
Now do you see the eloquent truth in deyons statement?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
... is lame from birth.
Devil's advocate here... so regard me accordingly.

However, what are you comparing it to? If you say Maemo, I've owned three Maemo devices and they were hack worthy, but not mass market worthy - not that I think WP7 is there either, just stating the obvious.

And if you mean MeeGo, at least WP7 came out. So I guess I have to ask what are you comparing WP7 in such a negative light?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
WP7 also doesn't support many modern hardware- and GUI-requirements:
copy+paste, multi-core-app-CPUs, multitasking, ....should I go on?
Do you really think, they will get those fixed in few months?
Yes. They're slated for release in a fall update. Link.
The Microsofties are at it again. Those naughty boys.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/19111...o_reality.html

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Last edited by rm42; 2011-02-16 at 03:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
you don't seem to have noticed global financial crisis either....
Originally Posted by somedude View Post
Current exchange rate of NOK is US $8.84 and guess what in July 2010 it was US $8.02 and on May 2009 it was US $9.64. I still cannot see the correlation between Elop's statement and their share price.

I like the idea that they are proposing, but if they cannot provide a financial projection there is no way they are going to succeed with this. As someone else has pointed out, its all about ROIs, and unless they can show that their vision and execution would result in better ROI, its going to be a tough sell.

Not to mention IF they do this, there is going to be a huge market backlash again, because Nokia is once again changing directions after making an announcement, wouldn't inspire much confidence in the company.

This question is the perfect example of the mindset of this community. WP7 isn't linux. Its not about whether it has the same features as linux, its that IT WORKS COMPLETELY DIFFERENTLY. There IS NO "filesystem" as it exists in linux. There is only isolated storage for each app. Bash is useless in this sort of environment, because it underlies a way of thinking about OS's that simply doesn't fit with the way WP7 works as an operating system.
(OK, not knowing anything about WP7 internals, I'll take your word for it.)

IOW, WP7 is a broken OS -- or, to put it less caustically and more precisely, WP7 is an anachronism, a step decades backward in the evolution of computing. Even the iPhone, from version one (with the deja vu-ful lack of basic features that every other OS has), ran a skeletized modern OS (complete with filesystem) under the hood, with its insanely protective restrictions on data access applied over top of that.

Here, kid, take this nickel and get yourself a real OS...

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
I stick to my statement, it seems that you didn't even understand that.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
IOW, WP7 is a broken OS
It's not broken, it's just different. The idea is that sandboxing applications means that users don't have to worry about what a particular application could be doing or what data it has access to, just what services, and these can be specifically allowed/disallowed.

Sure this is not good for us geeks, and the alternative is for everything to be open and allow us to study the sourcecode to understand what the app is doing before it is run but the fact is the vast majority of users prefer a sandboxed environment where they can - at least for the most part - trust that a rogue application can't mess with their system or data.

In the end the promise that Nokia will make a MeeGo device is enough for me. It means that we get an open OS that we can do whatever we want with it and the company remains profitable by selling to market demands.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
Ok, I love horse racing so I think I can carry this metaphor far. Symbian used to race in stakes races(smart phones) but has gotten very old and is now relegated to cheap claiming races and can no longer earn more than it costs for stable space, feed and vet bills.
err... you haven't looked the nokias financial at all, have you?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
It's really simple man, go to google, type in "nokia stock" and look at it. It's never dropped that fast since april last year when "smartphone competition hits nokia, shares dive".
It's not normal, it's triggered by the news. Do yourself a favor and don't become an investor if you still don't get it

Tags
a hoax, alcalde babble, bla bla bla, micronokiasoft, nokia sux nuts, nokia=epic fail, plan(a-z), plan(t)