Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
This thread is good, a lot of interesting stuff being said. Well, for the most part, we obviously should all ignore the troll in the corner, that feels butt hurt because he bought the N900 a year ago ... Please abill_uk let it go and leave.
Yes do leave as YOU are the troll.

Enough if this now ok.

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I plan on staying here and I eagerly await the next GNU/Linux based device from Nokia, if they continue to bring out the great and fun stuff they have through the Maemo line, I hope they continue to do so for the difficult years to come with MeeGo. I also hope those of you that are as passionate about FOSS software and have the interest I do in mobile devices continue to support and develop software for the current and future iterations. Lets all work positively towards helping this work. We have some great talent in this community, people and groups that are working together to create wonderful things. I only hope with the side lining of MeeGo will create a clear seperation to platform and application developers from end users looking for the latest glitz to impress their friends. A lot of us have been here since the beginning and whilst a few have left I still see people working very hard on creating the kind of solutions we want.

Here's to Maemo

*raises a beer*

Here's a good take by Elop for Engadget about the strategy. Lasts about ten minutes and explains pretty well the ins and outs of the strategy and how during the process their views on the preferred path changed.

The Following User Says Thank You to demos For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by pxa270 View Post
After some 25 pages of off topic blather, I still can't get some simple answers.

Has anyone here actually seen solid evidence that the MeeGo code in its current state was on schedule for a solid release within, say half a year, that could go toe to toe with with whatever Google and Apple will have on the market by then?

The only thing I'm curious about is the actual state of the MeeGo code as it stands right now. Is it anywhere near ready and competitive with Android 2.x and iOS 4.x?
I'm in the same boat as you. As it stands, the overall lack of answers means to me that we're supposed to deploy faith in something that isn't quite in a form we'd even be able to compare to other OS's on the same level playing field without having to resort to terms like "it's open" or "it's another choice" or "it suits me"... whereas openness was never in doubt, it's definitely another choice and if it does/does not suit you is subjective and opinion based.

Simply stated, the lack of answers should be your answer. MeeGo isn't anywhere it needs to be for the average consumer. It's a bunch of lego blocks that have to be put together (that's ok by me) and then you have to make it work (still ok) but even then, it's not going to be fully featured yet (not ok with me) and we have to use our faith it will get there one day (definitely not ok with me).

Elop is asking for faith in WP7 - we gave none. That's fair. Nokia asked for faith on MeeGo - we gave all. Unfair we didn't get a damn thing back for that faith - nothing compelling has been shown before its "demise".

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. As it stands, the overall lack of answers means to me that we're supposed to deploy faith in something that isn't quite in a form we'd even be able to compare to other OS's on the same level playing field without having to resort to terms like "it's open" or "it's another choice" or "it suits me"... whereas openness was never in doubt, it's definitely another choice and if it does/does not suit you is subjective and opinion based.
I think it should be clear even to you by now that no-one in this community knows how it is or will be, only Nokia does. No-one here can give you the answers you want or promise (or have promised) that it'll all be (or would've been) fine and dandy. For all we know it could be crap. But from "I haven't seen it" doesn't logically follow "It's crap" and that's the issue here. You are constantly trying to beat people into proving it's great which they can't do because they haven't seen it, while at the same time implying that if they're unable to do that, then it must be crap. They have no choice but to try and defend it with what they do know.

Originally Posted by jsa View Post
I think it should be clear even to you by now that no-one in this community knows how it is or will be, only Nokia does. No-one here can give you the answers you want or promise (or have promised) that it'll all be (or would've been) fine and dandy. For all we know it could be crap. But from "I haven't seen it" doesn't logically follow "It's crap" and that's the issue here. You are constantly trying to beat people into proving it's great which they can't do because they haven't seen it, while at the same time implying that if they're unable to do that, then it must be crap. They have no choice but to try and defend it with what they do know.
Having a few Nokia workers that post here, as well as some folks that have tested in the past and yet nobody knows about Nokia's future even when they've all but killed it - no leaks, nothing but "wait, it's coming" when even that isn't known is a request for my faith that honestly Nokia has no right to expect since they've not delivered anything.

True, nobody truly knows... but yet nobody talking about anything being shown yet negative reports of bad hinges means that something has been shown and yet nobody knows something?

Leaks happen for a reason. The silence is deafening on this one and I have to assume it's because the device was prepared - nothing proves otherwise, the OS, the services and the direction wasn't done yet either.

Speculation can go either positive or negative.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 83 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Poole, UK
Originally Posted by zwer View Post
Make up your mind, is it good for a dev eloper, or good for the end user? It can't be both on the same level. Knowing various .NET/CLI caveats, I'll take a guess - WP7 is better for the user, and you are saying that it's made with the user in mind, and here is what I have a problem with...

How come something is created with the user in mind, yet it tries to lock in the user and milk cash from him/her whenever it can? Doesn't that seem rather contradictory? Let me put my user hat for a moment, and lets say I purchase a WP7 device - how am I to transfer my music library from my Linux laptop to it? And even VBox is not a solution, already tried it and it didn't work, but even if it would - why would I buy a desktop OS to run it in a virtual machine just so I could transfer my files to my mobile device? How is that 'with user in mind'? How is it bad for the user to be able to access the device via a standard USB connection, or to transfer his/her files from network storage, or...? Name me one good reason to only be able to access your device through a proprietary app and how can that be good for the user?

I personaly have no problems with closed-source apps/OSes/whatever, I have a problem with locked in systems directed and censored by some outside entity - in such system you end up leasing your device instead of owning it, where the manufacturer can change the terms of use retroactively, after you've purchased the given device - and I just cannot accept that. True, given a choice I prefer OSS, but closed source is just fine as long as it uses widely accepted standards and does not lock you in.
You have to look at the business side of things, MS have basically copied Apple with the whole closed eco-system aspect of things, it is something that works.

However, then look at where the biggest user base is. Regardless of preference, or what mobile you have, the biggest desktop OS is Windows, followed by Mac, followed by all sorts of Linux based systems. A business will create things for the masses first. There is the ability to sync to the WP7 device through windows and Mac, I suspect it will come for Linux devices at some point, but that point will be based on demand.

And who better to try and push for that than Nokia, a large percentage of the Nokia community is geared towards Linux, I suspect that the Nokia partnership with MS will push this side of things, but early days at the moment.

I think that the majority of users prefer this 'locked-in' route (I am not one of them, I like choice. And I doubt that many people on here do either), but can see how it works in the real world and the simplicity it creates for the standard user. Remeber, the majority of users are stupid!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to davidh101 For This Useful Post:
i told you that meego was already a dead os along with symbian, and personally i dont think we can say that meego wasnt "good enough" i think i was too late, android is developing very very fast, and ios is selling very well too.

Im concerned that windows phone is also a bad move from nokia... why the partnership with a new os? instead of adopting android that may boost nokia sales?

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
If MS open up the Win7 OS to be an open platform and all then I'll would buy their OS but seriously why buy a featureless OS phone? While Android and iOS has almost a complete set of features right now.

iOS Still have a better chance in long term support and resale value of the iPhones are much higher than any other phones in the market. To be honest, iPhone losing its value less than Nokia in term of second hand device resale. The device value is stable and so is their OS. Jailbreak makes the device more open and freedom. But there is no customisable UI.

Win7 can be jailbreak too but why on earth would I want my home screen to have those blocks of ugliness and oversize title? The OS barely got any functionality attached to it, the user interface really degrading your intelligent and making you're look like an idiot and have to be guided all the steps like a disable person.

MeeGo is a great OS but lack of manufacturers to push it out. If only Samsung, HTC or Motorola willingly adopting the platform and making it their third or 4th OS then I believe that in 1 to 2 years from now, MeeGO will be bigger than Android. But this is only just a dream. Such thing will never happen. MeeGo giving you the power of a user and give you the freedom and will not degrading your intelligent of being a human.

Don't let the machine control you, be the one to control the machine.

Last edited by maxximuscool; 2011-02-17 at 02:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
Win7 can be jailbreak too but why on earth would I want my home screen to have those blocks of ugliness and oversize title?
I actually felt the same way, but the ease of use of those huge, ugly blocks actually have started to win me over.

Yes... I thought I'd never say that.

MeeGo is a great OS but lack of manufacturers to push it out. If only Samsung, HTC or Motorola willingly adopting the platform and making it their third or 4th OS then I believe that in 1 to 2 years from now, MeeGO will be bigger than Android. But this is only just a dream. Such thing will never happen. MeeGo giving you the power of a user and give you the freedom and will not degrading your intelligent of being a human.
The main problem with MeeGo might be that it will suffer from the association with Nokia and their really closed off from everybody, proud of their corporate culture and how very little they have communicated type of image they've cultivated all of these years.

If Nokia was more open in terms of communication, it might have worked out for MeeGo. I think that it does affect MeeGo's chances.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, meego rip