Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by leetnoob View Post
it never worked properly for me and easy debian was the first thing i installed on my phone. if anyone can install 'evolution' as a test example and their phone doesnt reboot,let me know and i'll see if i can figure out what's wrong with my particular setup.
This problem seems to have arisen with PR1.3, see also earlier in this thread. Qole said that with power-kernel the problem again disappears. At any rate, make backups of your image before doing additional installs or upgrades!

Last edited by rebhana; 2011-02-17 at 19:18.

The Following User Says Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by rebhana View Post
This problem seems to have arisen with PR1.3, see also earlier in this thread. Qole said that with power-kernel the problem again disappears. At any rate, make backups of your image before doing additional installs or upgrades!
Thank you; sorry I had missed the earlier discussion. Not quite ready for power kernel.

interesting. i do have a power kernel installed but it's v46 with the bleeding edge network drivers which based off a stock power kernel. i had this problem before the power kernel and it's the same now. if you have a non bleeding edge power kernel, let me know if you can install evolution , and if you can i'll see if there's some difference between the 2 kernels. but i'm not sure that the power kernel fixes this from my experience..

don't know if qole is listening, but i seem to remember going through his scripts that the debian partition wasn't mounted in such a way that the write cache was disabled. is there any downside to mounting it write cache disabled? in any case i might temporaily mount it write cache disabled (sync? or something) and see if i can install stuff. will report back in a few days, unless qole jumps in advising me that i'm in danger of bricking my phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to leetnoob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
I don't have power kernel running. My solution was to make backups and to install in smaller pieces when I run into the reboot problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Washington, DC
What's the best backup solution? rsync? I think sulu had recommended that earlier (see, I do read this thread).

I experience the same problem as leetnoob.

I have power kernel 46 and v3d and if I try to upgrade Gimp or OpenOffice it reboots the phone, corrupts image file and makes MyDocs read-only. Same result is with stock and power kernel 42 and also with image v3e.
Obviously this has something to do with PR1.3, because when I had PR1.2, I could upgrade both applications without any issue.

Last edited by kolos; 2011-02-17 at 22:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to kolos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by kolos View Post
I experience the same problem as leetnoob.

I have power kernel 46 and v3d and if I try to upgrade Gimp or OpenOffice it reboots the phone, corrupts image file and makes MyDocs read-only. Same result is with stock and power kernel 42 and also with image v3e.
Obviously this has something to do with PR1.3, because when I had PR1.2, I could upgrade both applications without any issue.
Hi, Not sure if this is retated to your issue but I have not had a problem with corrupted files or the phone rebooting since I have carefully kept track of memory usage and religiously doing apt-get clean when ever I install or update. I just upgraded OO from sid yesterday with no problem using synaptic.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
i modified qmount so all the mount commands had the 'sync' option to disable write caching and it made no difference. easy debian is now broken as far as i can see. well, it's ok so long as you just want to install small trivial apps, but as far as installing anything useful, forget it.

I don't have power kernel running. My solution was to make backups and to install in smaller pieces when I run into the reboot problem.
well, if youre able to act as your own dependency/package manager then youre a lot more clever than me, but that aint saying much..

man, i'm really annoyed about this. i'm off to sulk. easy debian is BROKEN.

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze