Originally Posted by rebhana View Post
Have you also tried the default value 10? Is that not enough? (Would save some typing and would be "nicer" to remember.)
i'm still experimenting, nice -19 doesnt seem to work, which seems counter intuitive to me, but it takes time to experiment as i have to do a restore and start over after each crash/failure.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
leetnoob: congrats at finding the problem. I've never noticed my Debian apt-get pegging the cpu like that, but I've always run it from the command line, never from Synaptic. And it does tend to bog down the phone, but I usually just let it run and I go off and do other stuff.

I've only very recently started experimenting with overclocking my N900, and only when I want to do video recording or Gimp photo editing. Then I boost the CPU's frequency, but, more importantly, I switch from "on demand" to "user space", which seems to be the N900 equivalent of the N8x0's "performance mode".

EDIT: (you probably have, but) Have you tried using fsck both on the MyDocs partition and on the image file?

Last edited by qole; 2011-02-18 at 22:23.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I've only very recently started experimenting with overclocking my N900, and only when I want to do video recording or Gimp photo editing.
Be careful with OC'ing with video recording. This has been for sure the buggiest thing - at least in my hands - and it's been quite likely that as a result you either lose your video or corrupt one or more of your file systems.
I shoot videos only at 250-600 MHz.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Be careful with OC'ing with video recording. This has been for sure the buggiest thing - at least in my hands - and it's been quite likely that as a result you either lose your video or corrupt one or more of your file systems.
I shoot videos only at 250-600 MHz.
Hi. Does overclocking significantly improve the performance of open office? Starting writer using the icon and opening documents is still a pretty long process.

EDIT: (you probably have, but) Have you tried using fsck both on the MyDocs partition and on the image file?
fsck was a good idea, but didn't work unfortunately. i've gone back to the original v3d image now and am trying to install 'smb4k' on it and it consistently crashes the phone.

i've tried running it from internal memory, running off the external card, various values for 'nice' , i even replaced dpkg with a perl script which had a 'sleep 10' command before it passed control to the real but renamed dpkg. all to no avail.

can you confirm that you yourself can actually install 'smb4k' and if you can, we can compare phones/installed apps etc., because it's possible that some of us have installed an app that conflicts with easy debian.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
leetnoob: Another possibility is that smb4k or one of the things it depends upon might be restarting services that trigger the N900's watchdog to reboot the phone.

leetnoob: Another possibility is that smb4k or one of the things it depends upon might be restarting services that trigger the N900's watchdog to reboot the phone.
i gave up on smb4k and tried to install another samba browser called 'komba2', and here's what i found:

if i install using synaptic it works without rebooting the phone, but only if i tick 'prefer packages from stable', i was also able to install evolution without any 'nice' hack by doing this. so i'm begining to wonder if this is a problem with synaptic taking higher but unstable versions of packages from the unstable squeeze repository by default when squeeze needs to be enabled. same for flakey sid repository i guess... also unticking 'install recommended packages' cuts down the risk of a reboot. this last one needs to be unticked everytime you start synaptic.

Last edited by leetnoob; 2011-02-20 at 18:32.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leetnoob For This Useful Post:
My apologies if this problem has been addressed before, but I conducted a search on this thread, and I read the wiki, and didnt see it.

I have the virtual keyboard running on my n800/Diablo. The keyboard is there, covering the bottom third of my screen. However, in Iceweasal, Epiphiny, or Open Office Writer, when I use the stylus to click on a letter, nothing happens. The cursor is blinking, the stylus is able to function as a mouse and even click on links within the browsers, but the keyboard isn't working.

Ideas?

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Houston
guys, I'm having a hard time trying to install xournal for easydebian.
I tried to install it from the lenny repos, but synaptic can't find poppler-utils. when I try the squeeze version, everything is found but I get this error on the post-install:

unable to create `/usr/share/mimelnk/application/x-xoj.desktop.dpkg-new' (while processing `./usr/share/mimelnk/application/x-xoj.desktop'): Input/output error

can anyone help with this? I really don't know what to do...
thanks

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by leetnoob View Post
i gave up on smb4k and tried to install another samba browser called 'komba2', and here's what i found:

if i install using synaptic it works without rebooting the phone, but only if i tick 'prefer packages from stable', i was also able to install evolution without any 'nice' hack by doing this. so i'm begining to wonder if this is a problem with synaptic taking higher but unstable versions of packages from the unstable squeeze repository by default when squeeze needs to be enabled. same for flakey sid repository i guess... also unticking 'install recommended packages' cuts down the risk of a reboot. this last one needs to be unticked everytime you start synaptic.
Actually, by now squeeze is stable and lenny is oldstable. Nevertheless, I always install from lenny unless there's a particular reason, so that's probably why I had only few problems with reboots - only when I installed a lot of stuff at once did I encounter them.

In the new sources.list file, squeeze is enabled out of the box. So this is probably the cause of the problem. Also, in squeeze, apt-get changed its behavior to install by default with recommends, unlike in lenny.

However, in the long run it would be good to find out what needs to be done to make Easy Debian work well with squeeze.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze