Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Anjin: well, for bringing up your question here (Maemo forum), you'll probably get 80-90% positive response to get the N900. Because the members here are actual users of the device, and have experienced with it. Ask anywhere else you'll get feedback based on word of mouth marketing, or from those who don't know the difference between any other phones except iPhones.

What I want to say is, to get a good recommendation, just ask what is it you expect from the device, and comparing with what. The experts here will be able to explain to you your concerns. Then finally you make the decision to buy the N900 or not.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Or, more importantly, you could ask whether Nokia's N900 is the thing to buy.. NOW. For how long will it be supported by Nokia? How is the support now? Try calling Nokia's support line to see how easily they satisfy customers (my unit is damaged, do you cover repairs? How? How long will I be without my device? Will it gets fixed or just replaced? Can I buy a new part? (pick a part--stylus? battery cover? etc.). How open is it, really? Put your paws on competitor's devices so you can compare it to this. Can you even find an N900 to try out?

My opinion? Ultimately, I think you might find that the N900 isn't a particularly good deal anymore. Most people here will disagree because, well.. you're in the Maemo forum. Go ask the Apple or Android people if you should buy one of their devices. Of COURSE the Maemo will be heavily biased.

Thankfully, I've never been a big fan of limiting my scope so I've always been open to looking toward these platforms with a bias towards what works best for myself.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Recommended read to help you make up your mind!

‐ The ultimate smartphone guide
Nokia, WinMo, iPhone, Android, Blackberry
‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
http://www.t3.com/feature/best-smart...e-buyers-guide

What Nokia says about you:
You don’t like to faff. You’ve always had Nokia and you always will, because it’s reliable, gets the job done and the camera’s usually pretty good too.

I use the N900 for more than a year now, and it is satisfactory. But probably an Android would also meet my demands, if and when it can do things like running a ssh demon for remote login and filetransfer (my Archos 101 has that option although of course it is not a phone).

BTW: the mappero routeplanning has also a voice option. It does not much more than say "take the third exit on the roundabout", but it serves well enough).

Disclaimer: I don't do games or watch movies on the N900.

Paai

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by paai View Post
I use the N900 for more than a year now, and it is satisfactory. But probably an Android would also meet my demands, if and when it can do things like running a ssh demon for remote login and filetransfer (my Archos 101 has that option although of course it is not a phone).

BTW: the mappero routeplanning has also a voice option. It does not much more than say "take the third exit on the roundabout", but it serves well enough).

Disclaimer: I don't do games or watch movies on the N900.

Paai
Congratulations, your wish has been fulfilled.
https://market.android.com/details?i...ilsw.quicksshd
https://market.android.com/search?q=sftp
https://market.android.com/search?q=scp
etc

Also, Google Maps with Navigator can do far more than speak the turn-by-turn navigation. To whit, I present the following presentation:
http://www.google.com/mobile/maps/

Also, you're welcome.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on May 2010 @ City of Angels
Get the Nokia N8.

I own both N900 and N8 and found the N8 to be much more userfriendlier in terms of phone use, multimedia use such as Video copy and playback etc. It has all email clients such as MSN, Yahoo, Google, etc. Social network such as Tweeter, Facebood, etc. It also has the best camera with 12 MP on the market. One drawback is it only has on-screen keyboard but to get around it I just plug a full size keyboard+regular PC mouse to the USB connection on my N8. It has USB on the go which means that you can connect pretty much anything as Hard drive, keyboard, game control device, etc. It is very fast and bug free. GPS has voce guidance for free and works better than before. I've owned every Nokia phone since 2000 and find the N8, best Nokia smart phone to date for its reliability, function and versatility.

The N900 on the other hand is more like a PC and it is the best PDA/Phone on the market. It is high end and can also work for your need and some. But I still prefer the N8 because it is much easier to use.

Originally Posted by nokuser View Post
Get the Nokia N8.

I own both N900 and N8 and found the N8 to be much more userfriendlier in terms of phone use, multimedia use such as Video copy and playback etc. It has all email clients such as MSN, Yahoo, Google, etc. Social network such as Tweeter, Facebood, etc. It also has the best camera with 12 MP on the market. One drawback is it only has on-screen keyboard but to get around it I just plug a full size keyboard+regular PC mouse to the USB connection on my N8. It has USB on the go which means that you can connect pretty much anything as Hard drive, keyboard, game control device, etc. It is very fast and bug free. GPS has voce guidance for free and works better than before. I've owned every Nokia phone since 2000 and find the N8, best Nokia smart phone to date for its reliability, function and versatility.

The N900 on the other hand is more like a PC and it is the best PDA/Phone on the market. It is high end and can also work for your need and some. But I still prefer the N8 because it is much easier to use.
Wait for the E7 if you want a physical keyboard. The E7 looks great and has quite high end specs also.

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by KetkuFIN View Post
-no one has a charger that fits in N900 if you leave yours home
-i've heard nokia doesn't make these anymore

Buy it, you will love it.
Loads of fones are starting to use micro usb - i can use my gfs blackberry charger, or my friend' s htc charger, of failing that a micro usb cable is very easy to tuck into a bag or pocket...

Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
Wait for the E7 if you want a physical keyboard. The E7 looks great and has quite high end specs also.
Already used the E7. It s very nice device but E7 has 16 gb internal and No sd slot, external memory only when you connect with USB.

N8 has 16 gb internal+ (my 32 gb) microsd slot + memory connect using USB. I also like the 12Mp camera. The N8 camera is insane. It takes professional quality photos.

Plus 4 inch dispaly on E7???? I used the E7 for week and it was too big for me to carry. Nice device though.

The Following User Says Thank You to nokuser For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Tedri Mark View Post
Loads of fones are starting to use micro usb - i can use my gfs blackberry charger, or my friend' s htc charger, of failing that a micro usb cable is very easy to tuck into a bag or pocket...
EU has standardized the Micro USB charging last year. All phones sold in EU must have Micro USb charging capability. This did not stop Nokia to install the round charger port on their newest devices. They also complied by allowing the charge using the usb plug.

Round plug is the best, I can plug it in blind-fold in 2 seconds. USB plug in is somewhat of a task plus after a while the USB port on the phone can begin to have problem.

Tags
bada rox, bada rulez, hell no, just shoot me, pros and cons