Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Edit: FIXED! See this post

-----

A strange and mildly irritating thing has been happening on my N900 intermittently: I have an SMS conversation with a contact, but my messages (i.e. the ones sent by me) show as 'Pending/Sending' (the little white 'up arrow' icon) even after the other party has received and replied to the message.

After a reboot, my sent messages disappear from the conversation history, even though the received messages are still there.

This has happened with several different contacts, and does not happen consistently. I don't know how to reproduce it. A reboot does not seem to solve the issue. The issue sometimes appears partyway through an SMS conversation when I am using the phone for nothing else (as far as I know).

From reading other threads with superficially similar symptoms, I suspect that something is wrong with the conversation db and that one solution would be to delete it. However, I don't really want to do that.

So: has anyone else experienced this? Have I done something weird to cause this to happen?

Last edited by shallimus; 2011-06-30 at 15:21.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 235 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Manila
same thing is happening to my phone. simply do back up of communication then restore.

The Following User Says Thank You to kent_autistic For This Useful Post:
same thing happens to me.. sometimes when i sent a text the person getsold tex that get merged with new texts. texting is rubbish on this fone!

deleting seems to be the only solution for now. However with a little SQL experience you could export the Events table, let el-v1.db get regenerated, and then re-import the Events table.

Or restore a recent backups' "Communication and Calendar" portion. that /should/ work ideally

The Following User Says Thank You to Char For This Useful Post:
Posts: 129 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Castello d'Argile (BO)
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
From reading other threads with superficially similar symptoms, I suspect that something is wrong with the conversation db and that one solution would be to delete it. However, I don't really want to do that.

So: has anyone else experienced this? Have I done something weird to cause this to happen?
I have no clue about the root cause but in my experience a restore from backup did not help, possibly because the backup was already affected by the bug. In my case also chat was affected and I fixed it by removing the whole directory then rebooting.

Great sig you have, by the way... sad but true.

The Following User Says Thank You to aboaboit For This Useful Post:
Thanks everyone who has replied to this thread; very sorry for starting it and not checking back in.

The conversations backup/restore did seem to work. I was good for a few weeks, but now the issue has cropped up again. I can't figure out why it happened. No new software or updates immediately before (IIRC).

I also found this thread, which offers a console-based potential solution. I'll give it a go cos this is driving me up the wall, especially after a reboot when I get 26 'new' SMS from my most recent contact which then appear out of sequence and without my sent messages (thus destroying the conversation).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Success! Technique linked above has resolved the issue for me. Subjectively, Conversations seems quicker/more responsive also.

...in fact everything seems quicker. Anyone have an opinion on why rebuilding the event-logger sqlite db might improve all-round user experience? For instance: my media player seems to be less laggy now.

Sure, I rebooted, but I reboot every few days anyway.

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 173 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Melb
hey shall, does this help if i have a constant "failed to send" icon?

i deleted the particular text, but my phone still displays the warning

Originally Posted by optimaxxx View Post
hey shall, does this help if i have a constant "failed to send" icon?

i deleted the particular text, but my phone still displays the warning
As in a 'failed to send' Icon in the system tray-type area? Casting my mind back, I think I might have seen that briefly around the time this issue cropped up (does it look like a little message envelope?)

I have no idea if the steps provided by LondonBenji will help you or not. It might solve your issue if your issue is caused by a corrupt event-logger db.

Disclaimer: please see before where I said I have no idea if this is relevant. Please also see LondonBenji's disclaimer in his post. I believe this procedure is safe (see no reason why it wouldn't be), but YMMV, especially if you don't put your phone in offline mode first, or if you're not comfortable with shell.

The Following User Says Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post: