Active Topics

I am having trouble pairing my N770 to the T-Mobile SDA Phone. I had successfully paired my internet tablet to the RAZR and the Samsung T-809 without a problem. However I am trying to pair to the SDA and can't see to do so. The Internet Tablet seems to pair successfully, however I am receiving a message that states the following "Selected phone does not support file transfer. It can only be used for dial-up networking". It then tells me that the phone and the internet tablet was successfully paired. I then receive an error on my phone that states "Error: Your Smartphone did not connect with Maravilla_Nokia. The connection failed or the passkey is correct. I know I entered the passkey correctly. What else am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
John

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Florida, USA
You'll want to take a look at http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=1335

I am considering purchasing the T-Mobile SDA or MDA, but I might hold off if there won't be a working solution for tethering. On a slightly off topic note, how do you like the SDA?

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
I have the (identical) i-mate SP5m and it's a functional phone and a functional PDA. I'm just excited about EDGE and TomTom Mobile on my phone. :-)

ajmaravilla: I heard that T-Mo included an AIM client on the SDA. Is that accurate? I have yet to see a proper AIM client for Windows Mobile 5 smartphones.

So far it is a great phone. I am just disappointed that I can't get my Internet Tablet paired via Bluetooth. I checked out the link that was provided by unuselessj, and the posting down below only mentioned PocketPC2003 and 2005. However, OS on the SDA is 2006. It does have OBEX capabilities. I turned it on but still no avail. Thoughtfix, have you been able to pair the N770 to the SDA? I guess there is a work around, but I don't quite understand how to do it.

All windows mobile devices running the bluetooth stack microsoft provides have the same issue. The problem is the phone directly after pairing with something runs a service discovery on it. The N770 does not respond to service discovery requests by default because it runs no bluetooth services.

This fix to this half of the problem is that the user must gain root and issue the command using xterm, as root, "sdpd" to turn on the service discovery protocal daemon so the phone can see that the n770 runs no services and it will correctly pair. SDPD will only run until you reboot the phone, but you don't need it beyond getting the two devices paired.

The second half of the problem is the icd binary shipping in the n770 today contains a PPP chatscript too complex for the simple minded Windows Smartphone. This fix gets more complex.

To fix this problem you have to download a binary from Http://qapf.shackspace.com/icd which a nokia dev provided to me to fix this issue, and you have to overwrite the icd binary on the device with this one. To do this you have to first copy the binary to your device, either via memory card or other methods, then you need to run ps -Aux | grep icd to find the path the current icd binary exists at. After you know where you need to copy your new icd binary to, you need to issue a stop command to osso-ic via its init.d script so the service will stop gracefully. Once that is done you copy the new binary over the old one, and then start the osso-ic service via its init.d script.

I have done these steps myself and it works for the devices. At that point you can make connections via the normal gui tools and dial out to your wireless data provider.

Thanks for the info! I do have a question for you. You mentioned that the icd will be updated in the next firmware update from Nokia. If I wait for this upgrade, do I still need to perform this workaround or should I be fine. The reason why I ask, I am not that familiar with Linux, so I don't want to mess anything up with my 770.
Thanks!
John

I Emailed you with the reply I posted to the same question on my blog.
Hope you enjoy it... and again my stuff is just a detailed re-write of what Qapf already posted.

The 5.2006.13-7 software update apparently does not have the MPX220 aka Windows Smartphone fix that was discussed on maemo.org.