Active Topics

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Congratulations abill_uk, you came in and tried to help and still ended up acting like an a**hole.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
Congratulations abill_uk, you came in and tried to help and still ended up acting like an a**hole.
Then what you suggest he does then ???? come on bright spark let us have your idea.

What i suggested he does is simple quick and does the job, everything else by his replies is a no go so i say again without argument ... why prolong the agony when all is needed is a re-flash.

I think to save his previous data would not be possible and as retsaw said all the files are same size so is obvious corruption has taken place.

I hope the solution is posted here for everyone to read !!!.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Flashing isn't even the quickist option. The quickest option is to reformat using the N900 file browser. The second quickest is to run dosfsck from the terminal to fix what is likely a corrupted filesyetem. Flashing will take longer becuase of the time to restore, reinstall and reconfigure the N900 after flashing.

So abill, why do you want him to take the most painful option to fix this?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
Flashing isn't even the quickist option. The quickest option is to reformat using the N900 file browser. The second quickest is to run dosfsck from the terminal to fix what is likely a corrupted filesyetem. Flashing will take longer becuase of the time to restore, reinstall and reconfigure the N900 after flashing.

So abill, why do you want him to take the most painful option to fix this?
What is within his capabilities to do is the most painless option so if you and him talk you can guide him through your suggestion, please be my guest because all i want is to see him up and running again.

NB a reformat means he would have to re-install everything anyhow and that is IF he can reformat under your suggestions.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-02-28 at 15:18.

And as this is now into its second day i think more than enough time to start from scratch by reflashing and hey he learns this way a big lesson !.

Posts: 723 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Kuching:Malaysia
@abill...yes we know that re-flash is the option to fixed this problem....
fixing the problem is half of it...the other half is knowing what cause this problem to come out at the first placed & backup those files if possible....

my suggestion is for him to find out what the cause of his problem so in future if he got this problem again he know how to solve it....
re-flashing yes will solve his problem today but what about tomorrow & the day after??? would you likes to see him have to re-flash again & again just to cut the problem short or you want him to find the best solutions so in near future he can solve it without have to re-flashing his N900 anymore....

that is what we try to give him....a solutions to solve his problem now & future to come....

How the problem occured he will most likely never know as there are too many if's and but's and i think he has realised not to just dissconect without the all clear first.

NB run around solutions rarely work and are time consuming so why give someone a mountain of work to do when the obvious is always the simplist way forward.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-02-28 at 15:36.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
What is within his capabilities to do is the most painless option so if you and him talk you can guide him through your suggestion, please be my guest because all i want is to see him up and running again.

NB a reformat means he would have to re-install everything anyhow and that is IF he can reformat under your suggestions.
It is only the "MyDocs" partition that has a problem so you only need lose the contents of that by reformating. All that needs to be done is open the N900 file browser, go to the top level where you get to choose between N900 and memory card storage, press and hold the N900 storage and select format. How is that not easier or quicker than reflashing? And how is arguing about this helping to solve this problem?

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Tell HIM that not me ok.

Anyway this is all pointless as he has not posted a reply after saying he was going to reflasn emmc.
He has probably got sick of this and moved on !!!.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-02-28 at 15:57.

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ india
hi guys
sorry for the later reply... was out

ok so i took the easy way out and flashed the emmc.. all problems obviously solved, no virus and no broken partitions.. i did find out that t was a virus as when i would connect it to different compters the trend anti virus would go crazy and the same virus didnt let me disconnect my phone properly hence the error-recommended scan and fix

i had my important files backed up so was lucky there hence went for the emmc option

thanks for all ur help guys... really appreatiate it
cheers