Stupid question, but I couldn't solve it for 2 days.

I opened a pdf in full screen.
You need to press esc to get out.

No esc key.
The pdf is above the on screen keyboard.

Is there a key combination that escapes?

Thanks

i installed xrdp via synaptic and using thie /etc/xrdp/xrdp.ini file below I can now connect via windows remote desktop to the vnc session on the n900 (and also to maemo hildon if i run x11vnc on the maemo side)

you must run xrdp as root on easy debian (sudo xrdp)

[globals]
bitmap_cache=yes
bitmap_compression=yes
port=3389
crypt_level=low
channel_code=1

# set empty username because VNC auth
# doesn't actually use username, so no
# point in asking the user for one.

[xrdp1]
name=LXDE
lib=libvnc.so
username=
password=ask
ip=127.0.0.1
port=5901

[xrdp2]
name=Hildon Desktop
lib=libvnc.so
username=
password=ask
ip=127.0.0.1
port=5900

Last edited by leetnoob; 2011-03-03 at 08:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to leetnoob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by DrKlaw View Post
Wow. This is great! But for me, line 4 only worked if I did:

tightvncserver :1 -geometry 1400x1050
youre right, sorry typo.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Rhode Island
Originally Posted by leetnoob View Post
BREAKING NEWS! REBOOTING DURING SYNAPTIC INSTALL SOLVED

w0000t!

Now you can install as many applications as you want in one go , of any size without your phone rebooting!

steps:

1. upgrade dpkg to the latest version
2. make sure the debian.ext2 file is in your mydocs folder
3. PHYSICALLY REMOVE YOUR EXTERNAL MMC CARD FROM THE PHONE
4. Install all your software via synaptic, go on a software install binge
5. put your external memory mmc card back into the phone

why?

there is a bug in dpkg which is nothing to do with easy debian or the n900 where it can hang your computer if an external usb drive is plugged in during a software install.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...kg/+bug/624229

That's it!

Problem fscking solved!
Did this solution change since you last posted it? I seem to remember that you posted something about creating a link and file system conflicts. I only ask because I followed that (the old way) and found it still crashed, just not the same way (it didn't reboot the brick, just hung it up indefinitely). If this changed because you found that as well and then found that this new solution worked, I'll be brave enough to try installing Scilab again...

Thanks for all of the great posts, by the way. They've really helped.

DrKlaw

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Rhode Island
I went ahead and tried again. I WORKED! I installed SciLab (I used apt-get, not Synaptic, but same difference). Wow. You solved it... Thanks.

Originally Posted by DrKlaw View Post
Did this solution change since you last posted it? I seem to remember that you posted something about creating a link and file system conflicts.
yes, i announced in a nice big font that i solved the problem, found that i hadn't, thought nobody had noticed, so went back and changed it to the actual solution. at least i found the actual solution within a few hours of my original incorrect post. but i should have edited the original post to have 'crossed out' the original solution in case someone had read it.

also sudo umount /media/mmc1 seems to have the same effect as removing the card physically as the problem is to do with dpkg's use of sync() . But i'm not sure how to mount it again afterwards. i guess it's the same mount options as in etc/fstab for the internal fat32 file system but i'm too lazy to check.

Originally Posted by sdpkom View Post
Stupid question, but I couldn't solve it for 2 days.

I opened a pdf in full screen.
You need to press esc to get out.

No esc key.
The pdf is above the on screen keyboard.

Is there a key combination that escapes?

Thanks
if nobody else has a better idea, then follow the vnc procedure on the last page, and install 'presence vnc' into maemo, start up easy debian tightvncserver as described and connect to 127.0.0.1:1

then you have a lot of extra soft keys to use
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to leetnoob For This Useful Post:
here's a modified clearlooks theme for the n900. it has chunky scrollbars. if you want to modify any theme yourself, edit /usr/share/themes/<themename>/gtk-2.0/gtkrc and change the lines that contain slider and stepper values as below to 30

GtkRange ::slider_width = 30
GtkRange ::stepper_size = 30

if you can't be bothered, then just replace /usr/share/themes/Clearlooks/gtk-2.0/gtkrc with the one attached below.

must be logged into e.d. as root.

edit: forum software wont allow me to upload gtkrc so i had to attach gtkrc.txt , so rename it back to gtkrc when you download it.

edit: as an added bonus i've animated the progress bar which clearlooks doesn't do by default.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: txt gtkrc.txt (11.0 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by leetnoob; 2011-03-04 at 12:09.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leetnoob For This Useful Post:
I have a problem installing the image file.After manual download of the 300mb lzma file,i decompressed it on my computer & got the exact 2147....bytes stated in your maemo wikki.I places the decompressed file using a USB cable to home/user/mydoc.Now my problem is that when i run any of the installed easy debian icon,it dosen't seem to recorgnise the presence of the 2GB image file placed under my doc,eg when ever i run the debian image installer i will start fresh download of the LZMA file instead of recorgnising the decompressed file placed.PLEASE HELP ME OUT!

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze