Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
thanks, the real issue for me is with the candle I get the message that the phone is charging but without it I kind of have to guess. and with the way the n900 reacts to the chargers I have used, you really have no guarantee that it is charging without some type of notification. would it be possible to have the desktop icon change color when charging? That way I could just get rid of the crummy candle....
Done.

Battery meter V1.6 has a "Charging" text when charging

Of course it still needs to be updated to display "charging", click, view desktop or 5min interval.

And it of course does not work when external charging like i do, the phone does not know that charging is going on, only that the voltage is going up.....

Last edited by dr_frost_dk; 2011-03-06 at 18:57.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Which really amounts to everyone should have an external charger because (a) hands up, who wants a broken USB port? and (b) lets say you get a really cool high capacity battery setup, do you really want your tablet immobilized for as long as it takes to charge it? No!
I have external charger and two double-battery packs, but I hardly ever use the external.charger because I do not want to reboot. It seems easier to just recharge via usb-port every night. But I do have that extra battery in a fridge if I ever need almost fully charged battery quickly.

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
I have external charger and two double-battery packs, but I hardly ever use the external.charger because I do not want to reboot. It seems easier to just recharge via usb-port every night. But I do have that extra battery in a fridge if I ever need almost fully charged battery quickly.
Ok why the H**l do people still think freezing battery's keeps them "fresh", i use my LiPo and Liion battery's for EV's more then phone's, cameras etc, and i can tell you that doing this cold season i one day thought that the temperature was good but it was too cold and the result was that my Electric Moped (Also homemade) lost about 10-15% capacity because of the cold temperature (not very isolated battery case)

In the old day's it probably worked on NiMh & NiCD battery's but it DOES NOT work on Lithium battery's to my knowledge and experience.

I can also charge my N900 overnight through the 2mm DC charge port i have in the mugen cover i just use a charger i designed for the purpose, a charger that shuts off the connection when i sees 4.23V. (Again Homemade)

Last edited by dr_frost_dk; 2011-03-06 at 23:20.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Interesting. I don't mind rebooting, but I would mind my usb breaking, which has happened to a lot of people.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 183 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
I went out and bought a new battery, after a soldering attempt failed. IT was a genuine nokia battery, maybe thats why it broke.

Come up with an idea, tell me if it will work. Instead of buying a new back cover, if I only wanted to have a single battery in there (for now):

http://img839.imageshack.us/i/img3896n.jpg/

Thats the battery connectors inside the phone behind the metal frame. There is space between the metal frame and the pcb. If i were to solder 2 wires at the very bottom of the connectors (+ and -), Then run some cable to where the broken usb is, then mount a 2mm charging connector there, then this cable will go to an external battery charger. Will this work?

The Following User Says Thank You to Storm_11 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Storm_11 View Post
I went out and bought a new battery, after a soldering attempt failed. IT was a genuine nokia battery, maybe thats why it broke.

Come up with an idea, tell me if it will work. Instead of buying a new back cover, if I only wanted to have a single battery in there (for now):

http://img839.imageshack.us/i/img3896n.jpg/

Thats the battery connectors inside the phone behind the metal frame. There is space between the metal frame and the pcb. If i were to solder 2 wires at the very bottom of the connectors (+ and -), Then run some cable to where the broken usb is, then mount a 2mm charging connector there, then this cable will go to an external battery charger. Will this work?
if you can snake the wire through then yes, and i must say it is a good idea.

and for usb connectivity there is the "USB" tx, rx connection under the battery, for flashing etc...

and if you look at the schematic of the phone you can probably find more connections that can be accessed
Attached Images

Last edited by dr_frost_dk; 2011-03-07 at 01:00.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
there must be a downside though if there is this kind of charging system. Power plugs are 5v. This system will provide 4.23v to the battery, and keep the phone on at the same time. So its a lower voltage for the same effect. Will it just be slower charging time?

I'm thinking to make my life easier I might get some very small alligator clips to clip to the bottom of those charging plugs.... would be hard to solder at the very bottom

Originally Posted by Storm_11 View Post
there must be a downside though if there is this kind of charging system. Power plugs are 5v. This system will provide 4.23v to the battery, and keep the phone on at the same time. So its a lower voltage for the same effect. Will it just be slower charging time?

I'm thinking to make my life easier I might get some very small alligator clips to clip to the bottom of those charging plugs.... would be hard to solder at the very bottom
well again you just use the plugs (2mm DC) an then connect them to a charger that outputs between 4.10-4.23V

don't know what you are planning with the alligator clips???

The Following User Says Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Alligator clips....instead of soldering wire to the bottom of the battery connections, I'm thinking instead of using an alligator clip (very small one) to connect to the bottom of the connector.

http://img841.imageshack.us/i/img3896g.jpg/

Saves soldering. Picture shows where the alligator clips would connect (right near the pcb).

The charger I would be using is the one I linked you to earlier, which doesn't explicitly say that voltage range, but you reckon it would do it anyway.

Quick question to the battery meter. How can I change the % at which the picture changes?
I'd like to have different pictures on ranges: 0-10, 10-30, 30-70, 70-90, 90-100, with the LED activating for the last segment <10.

Anyway I like it a lot, thank you. Even as it feels a little confused under high load.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tinukedaya For This Useful Post:

Tags
battery, battery test, best battery, good bad ugly, modding, mugen battery, scud battery, tool got banned, yasirrfc