Active Topics

Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
If it's out of warranty, then yes, repair probably would cost about as much as a new phone. If it's still in warranty then the profitability of the repair isn't at issue - they're obliged to either repair or replace it, whatever that costs them (well, I guess they could refund you the value of the phone as another alternative).

As for replacements - I'd suggest browsing some of the "competitor" sections of the forum to get some answers on that.
Ok, got my warranty documents ready. Will it be a problem that I do not have the broken microUSB port to hand?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by RafaLL92 View Post
Ok, got my warranty documents ready. Will it be a problem that I do not have the broken microUSB port to hand?
I very much doubt it - they wouldn't be soldering it back on anyway, so it'd just be binned.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
The problem still exists

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by amr h View Post
The problem still exists
I have been having this problem with erratic charging. I have been having it all day today. I just now did an experiment. I connected the device to my PC and clicked on the Connect to PC button. I then turned off the screen and the blinking yellow light started pulsing. On the PC I opened a file manager to the device SD card. I thought that if the USB connection was dropped, the file manager would show it.

After a few minuets I checked the device and the yellow light had stopped pulsing. However, the file manager was still connected and I could navigate the folders. Can someone explain this to me? This makes me thing the problem may also be software related.

I have now turned off the device and am charging it with the power off. So far it seems to be working because the yellow light is still pulsing.

PS: Maybe we should start another poll thread since many that originally voted "No problems" may by now be experiencing the problem. That would be me, for example.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Last edited by rm42; 2011-03-02 at 03:28.

I had 'almost' the same problem and anticipated it to be a software related issue. I was just under a week before the warranty expired, sent it in. Few weeks later got it back with a note saying the usb port was fixed.

Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
I have been having this problem with erratic charging. I have been having it all day today. I just now did an experiment. I connected the device to my PC and clicked on the Connect to PC button. I then turned off the screen and the blinking yellow light started pulsing. On the PC I opened a file manager to the device SD card. I thought that if the USB connection was dropped, the file manager would show it.

After a few minuets I checked the device and the yellow light had stopped pulsing. However, the file manager was still connected and I could navigate the folders. Can someone explain this to me? This makes me thing the problem may also be software related.

I have now turned off the device and am charging it with the power off. So far it seems to be working because the yellow light is still pulsing.

PS: Maybe we should start another poll thread since many that originally voted "No problems" may by now be experiencing the problem. That would be me, for example.

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Well, I finally called Nokia to see about repairing my USB problem. My device is no longer under warranty so it will cost about $70 to fix it. The guy from the repair center asked me if the port was still attached to the device. Fortunately, it is. He said, "good, otherwise we wouldn't be able to do anything about it". I thought you'd like to know that. Fortunately for me, I do have a Square Trade warranty for my device and they are going to reimburse me for the repair.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
just to butt in here since i also have had my USB broken but not the normal loose way, it was the fuse.
And this was one of the reasons i included the 2mm charge port in the mugen cover of my battery mod.

This could be a solution if you cannot get it repaired

noooooooooooooooooooooo I've just had that dreaded moment where I unplugged my n900 and the USB port came out, still connected to the charger. I had absolutely no warning, everything was working fine, then tonight, I plugged it in to the wall charger, noticed it was acting funny, kept going from charging to not charging, and when I took it out -- blam! Busted phone.

This is awful. I run my whole life from this phone. I cannot live for two plus weeks waiting for a repair or replacement that according to many of the folks posting in this thread might never come (I live in the US, as far as I can tell there is no physical Nokia Care Center here in Seattle to take it to). I guess it's time to order a desktop charger for the battery, but that won't arrive till the 9th. I've got half a charge left and a fully charged spare. Let's hope I can make it till then.

This is nasty stuff. I have struggled a lot with this phone but enjoyed most of it, and have finally gotten it to where it was working perfectly for what I needed. I feel betrayed. The worst is that even if I had the money I wouldnt go out and buy another phone now. I just want mine, fully customized just how I like it, back, and working, right now. Where's my @#$#@ time machine???

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bristol, UK
Hey Peeps ... well, after over a year of very carefully inserting and removing the charger to my n900 it's finally having serious problems ... the main charger and the laptop charger both stopped working proerly on the same day ... strangely though it's charging just fine from the adapter that originally came with my n900 and my old nokia charger that fits the adapter ...

... the laptop cable will only charge if I balance my phone on it's side upright on the desk ... but as with a couple of other people it does still appear to be connected in mass storage mode even when it won't charge ... (I assume it's different pins doing different things or something technical like that ... *grins*) ... and the main charger is practically impossible to use ...

So ... questions ...

... this is a problem with the phone right? ... and not just bad luck that both chargers died on the same day?
... is there anythng I need to know to persuade Nokia to fix this problem for me? ... (I'm in the UK)
... are Nokia going to wipe all my data ... and do I need to do anything special other than back up to my computer to put everything back?
... any ideas where I put my mobile phone insurance info?

Don't know what I would do without this forum ... I love my n900 but nokia don't appear to be too keen on helping us owners out! x

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by EmmaGx View Post
... this is a problem with the phone right? ... and not just bad luck that both chargers died on the same day?
Could be either, but it would be quite a coincidence for both to fail at once. From your descriptions, it definitely sounds like a problem with the phone though.

... is there anythng I need to know to persuade Nokia to fix this problem for me? ... (I'm in the UK)
Just don't take "no" for an answer. They know it's a problem and they've accepted that it's a warranty issue, but some of the support staff still try to insist that it's caused by user error.

... are Nokia going to wipe all my data ... and do I need to do anything special other than back up to my computer to put everything back?
If the port hasn't actually come out yet then they may just do a repair, in which case the data would probably be okay. Otherwise they'll be doing a swap of the main board or a swap for a new/reconditioned phone, either of which will mean all your data is gone.

... any ideas where I put my mobile phone insurance info?
'fraid not, but as you're in the UK then the N900 is definitely still within warranty (2 years in the EU), so there should be no need to involve any insurance.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty