Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Well, the one that you should care about - Qt and Mobility - will be updated one way or the other, and on that level, Maemo and MeeGo APIs are identical. And indeed - from a development standpoint (with the notable exception of OBS) the difference between Maemo and MeeGo is a lot smaller than it is for end-users.
You are right, from the hobby developer point of view (such as myself), maemo is currently the easy option. I have not yet bothered with MeeGo, just because it is not read for a day to day use. And I am playing with something I am developing for my own use, which must work on a workable device.

But it looks like there will not be (many?) official updates to Maemo.
So having the same Qt libraries will involve extras-devel or some such, and harder time at installation.

And of course, Maemo ecosystem comprises one device, while hopefully, there will be a few MeeGo devices in a while. I think that is still a plan for players other than Nokia...

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mikelima View Post
So having the same Qt libraries will involve extras-devel or some such, and harder time at installation.
It's a lot better than that. Of course all these updates will start their career in extras-devel, but they should be no harder to install than any application (and even that is only because we would probably not want to push updates on that scale automatically, not because it cannot be done).

Originally Posted by lanwellon View Post
We already have Maemo 5 on N900 now.
Fine, stick with it.

What we want now is more attractive apps.
Then convince people to write them.

What is the meaning for MeeGo DE running on an N900 ?
To have a reasonably functional install of MeeGo on the N900 for development purposes, obviously. It could always be extended into being something more generally useful.

Just another unstable RPM-package management open-source crap ?
Instead of just flinging barbs and misinformation, perhaps you could stick to the basic questions?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Maybe I'm just being optimistic (esp given the history of the Diablo CSSU) but I really think Meego DE + Cordia + Community CSSU Meego Edition has the potential to be epic.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Is graphics acceleration working tear free, i.e. with Vsync support? That would be a huge improvement over Maemo 5.
I tried the latest weekly build of meego, whilst nothing works at the moment (no phone usage, no wifi usage, settings menu broken, UI unusably slow), I have to say the rotation works really well - no tearing, I think insanely smooth and fast as well.

I'm fairly used to using weekly (and daily) builds, I would say there is good improvement since the 1.1 release [UI slowness is a nasty one that needs looking at, it has too anyway]

I'm looking forward to a more usable UI so I can start doing the coding I wanted to for the n900, hopefully there will be more interest in people actually wanting to code (community wise) for the n900 than there was for maemo/n900

And yes, I WILL be trying the release candidate, and I'm not moaning about weekly/daily builds being **** - that generally is the point - they are hit and miss! That's all the fun

Last edited by deadmalc; 2011-03-07 at 20:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to deadmalc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by deadmalc View Post
I tried the latest weekly build of meego, whilst nothing works at the moment (no phone usage, no wifi usage, settings menu broken, UI unusably slow), I have to say the rotation works really well - no tearing, I think insanely smooth and fast as well.
Yeah, last weeks weekly was just a nightmare. This week should be better, I think..
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
People wonder why Nokia would do this, but from looking at the bigger picture, I would be disappointed if they didn't do something like this. Fact is, WM7 is owned by someone other than Nokia and at any point Microsoft could cut the cord (or the other way around) or limit what Nokia can do with it.

While they don't own Meego, no one else really does either, and they can contribute and build on it what they will.

Not saying that I'm happy about the decisions Nokia made, considering I still think they cut themselves off at the knees if this decision discourages people from writing QT apps, but if Nokia wants to continue to be a mover and shaker in this industry, they can't do it while having to depend on another company for their OS choice.

Seems to me the pure plan A has been modified in the direction of the plan B, but maybe it is just wishful thinking.

Will Meego DE 4 N900 have RPM-support and -packet management?

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Seems to me the pure plan A has been modified in the direction of the plan B, but maybe it is just wishful thinking.

Will Meego DE 4 N900 have RPM-support and -packet management?
I am just guesstimating... but the announcement was about meego 1.2, which means rpm.

The weekly snapshots for the N900 adaptation are based on vanilla meego, what I understood from the announcement is they are going to add application to this base for the most important use cases - phone, sms, browsing.

I do not know if there is a gui for the package manager, but I could wait for that for another release.

But maybe there are more applications waiting than the minimum; it is possible they will be released as well, maybe without the final polish.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikelima For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Peterborough, UK
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Yeah, last weeks weekly was just a nightmare. This week should be better, I think..
On the plus side, battery charging was working from the wall charger with last week's weekly build, which helped me out of a tight spot where my battery was almost drained and my rootfs screwed. Thanks to it giving me just enough juice to run a nanddump, I was able to recover my rootfs without a full reflash, for which I'm eternally grateful to it

Tags
best thread yet, meegohorny, nokia rox, stupid guys say, we want bada