Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ İstanbul - Turkey
Wu Xing is a game with a theme inspired from the five elements of Chinese philosophy. It is coded in C++ and using OpenGL ES 2.0 API. I'm doing it for learning purposes when I got time from my school. I'm planning to release its source code when the time is right(Looks a bit ugly now ). I'll make a .deb package after I implement lighting and particles. But you can try the tar.gz if you are interested:
https://garage.maemo.org/frs/downloa...wu-xing.tar.gz

How to play:
You can play the game by dragging elements from the wheel to enemy spheres. Every element has weaknesses and strongnesses to other elements. Here is the chart:

Wood parts earth and absorbs water.
Earth absorbs water and smothers fire.
Water quenches fire and rusts metal.
Fire melts metal and burns wood.
Metal chops wood and breaks up earth.

Missing in current release:
-Lighting. Because lights are absent in this release, spheres looks like 2D. This is the first thing I'll implement when I got time.
-Real textures. Every texture is a placeholder currently. They look bad, I know
-Particle effects. Particle engine is ready, needs some adjustments before using it.
-Background images. I'm planning some parallax scrolling backgrounds.
-Sounds. Need to learn gstreamer I guess. I wish Maemo had OpenAL
-Menus. You can exit the game by tapping the top-bottom corner on the screen.

Known issues:
-Sometimes when starting the game, graphics are messed up. Try restarting if it happens.
-Game might forget adding new enemies occasionally. I'm looking on it.

Here's a screenshot from the current release. Again, it's pre-alpha and has only placeholder textures:

Last edited by Optln; 2011-03-07 at 22:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to Optln For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 358 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Dec 2010
Originally Posted by Optln View Post
Wu Xing is a game with a theme inspired from the five elements of Chinese philosophy. It is coded in C++ and using OpenGL ES 2.0 API. I'm doing it for learning purposes when I got time from my school. I'm planning to release its source code when the time is right(Looks a bit ugly now ). I'll make a .deb package after I implement lighting and particles. But you can try the tar.gz if you are interested:
https://garage.maemo.org/frs/downloa...wu-xing.tar.gz

How to play:
You can play the game by dragging elements from the wheel to enemy spheres. Every element has weaknesses and strongnesses to other elements. Here is the chart:

Wood parts earth and absorbs water.
Earth absorbs water and smothers fire.
Water quenches fire and rusts metal.
Fire melts metal and burns wood.
Metal chops wood and breaks up earth.

Missing in current release:
-Lighting. Because lights are absent in this release, spheres looks like 2D. This is the first thing I'll implement when I got time.
-Real textures. Every texture is a placeholder currently. They look bad, I know
-Particle effects. Particle engine is ready, needs some adjustments before using it.
-Background images. I'm planning some parallax scrolling backgrounds.
-Sounds. Need to learn gstreamer I guess. I wish Maemo had OpenAL
-Menus. You can exit the game by tapping the top-bottom corner on the screen.

Known issues:
-Sometimes when starting the game, graphics are messed up. Try restarting if it happens.
-Game might forget adding new enemies occasionally. I'm looking on it.

Here's a screenshot from the current release. Again, it's pre-alpha and has only placeholder textures:
AFAIK chinese philosophy is made up from 4 elements because the I Ging is made up of 4 elements. It is surely an elite philosophy because u can build useful apps with it but I doubt that the chinese haver ever discovered the fifth element which is most likely is discovered by buddha the enlighted. the only one who liberate himself through own achievement.

I'm not sure. I just wanted to make a game based on elements and saw them on Wikipedia . I actually started with classical Greek elements(Fire, Water, Air, Earth) but found this more interesting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_Xing

Banned | Posts: 358 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Dec 2010
Originally Posted by Optln View Post
I'm not sure. I just wanted to make a game based on elements and saw them on Wikipedia . I actually started with classical Greek elements(Fire, Water, Air, Earth) but found this more interesting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_Xing
Looking at the diagram showing the five elements u can rotate it that way that u get a 3-dimensional view of it. this view of this diagram is then a hamiltonian path of a graph which is strongly connected with gray codes.

I'm not sure I understood you correctly but I'm thinking something like "if you draw a shape like pentagram(tapping and dragging in this order: metal->fire->water->earth->wood) you can slow time a bit". Like a power-up... Trauma Center on Nintendo DS had it.