Active Topics

Sorry I'm not very techy with all this jargon, but bottom line, is there any way to continue the same kind of service that we had with Gizmo5 + DialCentral?

Do I need to somehow get a SIP # again? And if I do, how do I get it to work with DialCentral, since I would no longer be using the Gizmo application...

Thanks!

One good option is to get a different mobile device, one that will run Google's Mobile App, see here. I don't think there's a non-tech-savy way to replace Gizmo5. Sometimes it's best to select the software you want to use, then go buy the hardware to run that software.

Banned | Posts: 388 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2010

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by gsever View Post
Any idea on this one?

Google Voice Discovered Allowing Pure VoIP Calls
It looks like its down now.
I hope there's something worthwhile on April 1st.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

Banned | Posts: 388 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2010
I am fine paying 1 ¢ per minute if Google activates this service Any other takers?

Originally Posted by gsever View Post
I am fine paying 1 ¢ per minute if Google activates this service Any other takers?
If it is standards compliant SIP, then yes.
I may be willing to pay upto 2 cents. I think thats the competing rate.

Originally Posted by LinuxStation View Post
One good option is to get a different mobile device, one that will run Google's Mobile App, see here. I don't think there's a non-tech-savy way to replace Gizmo5. Sometimes it's best to select the software you want to use, then go buy the hardware to run that software.
I was really hoping not to buy another mobile device tin order to save money on making Google Voice calls with my N810!

Originally Posted by cheetos316 View Post
I was really hoping not to buy another mobile device tin order to save money on making Google Voice calls with my N810!
For about $0.01/minute you can make calls from your N810 without Google Voice, using some service such as voip.ms or callwithus.com.

As far as I understand, there are voip providers which give a free incoming number and do not charge for incoming calls. This, combined with DialCentral or TOR on n810 is the way for free calls using Google voice.

There's no real need to get a new phone. the Nokia tablet series has been good enough and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

So Google basically bought out Gizmo aka Sipphone and instead of improving the service they've now killed it for everyone except US-based Google-users while us outsiders can't even use their gtalk (to make calls to actual phones)? Is that the gist of it?

Bad Google!

And there's no way for the (former) Gizmo users to keep their long-standing 1-747-XXXetc number?

Well that's rather inconsiderate given that the users of that well-liked (except support) service are now losing their number, (fully paid for) VOIP access and native platform support. "Progress" works in mysterious ways.

This isn't a successful way to make Android look more attractive...

So, apart from copying gizmo phonebook elsewhere, what now?

Last edited by Peet; 2011-03-13 at 06:36. Reason: words