Active Topics

Poll: Did you conver anyone to Maemo?
Poll Options
Did you conver anyone to Maemo?

OMG, you don't agree with me?!?! You must be an ashhole.
More like, you assume me to be a criminal without any valid reason, you must be an ashhole.
Backing up your buddy is all cool and fine with me but it seems that your afore quoted post suits you more then me.

I've tried only 2 preenv games on my N900, N.O.V.A and Asphalt.
I have both on my Pre.
Post number 36.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Congrats to you. I'm all out of gold stars though.

Is this where I start making derp noises and flapping my arms like they're wings? Mind if I catch a squat over your windshield while I'm at it?

Seriously dude. All you had to do was answer when I asked. Now you pick the time to be all offended... inaction, consequence. Learn it.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
This thread is definetly worth watching, my guess is 90% of Maemo users will convert to XYZ before too long at the rate this is going.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Gerbick will you learn some manners on this thread before someone shoots you (sticking my tounge out at you).

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@Daneel

You're defending the merits of n900 as a modern gaming system; and you cited preenv as the saving grace of n900.

Preenv's legality, availability to the general audience = ?

Then to get the content for preenv, you need to get/purchase it from WebOS store. To get access to the store, you need to own a WebOS device.

Content's legality, availability to the general audience = ?

I'm sure even if you've paid for the content through WebOS store, taking it out of their ecosystem to be run on an authorized platform is 'illegal' by their ToS (that is a whole different can of worm, but we're talking about legalities here) moreover, why on earth would you go through all these hoops just to get inferior experience than its native platform.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
From a few posts back:

Yes, Android/iPhone experience might be better(i don't agree since playing games with a keyboard or a keypad is the only way to play games for me
Yes, it might be more difficult to get access to a big portion of the N900 gaming experience when compared to Apple/Android universal app store but lets face it, as phones get more advanced, so do their users
I'm sure even if you've paid for the content through WebOS store, taking it out of their ecosystem to be run on an authorized platform is 'illegal' by their ToS (that is a whole different can of worm, but we're talking about legalities here) moreover, why on earth would you go through all these hoops just to get inferior experience than its native platform.
I'm not really sure if the ToS says that or even if ToS or EULA is a rule enforced by law. My believe is that if i pay for a piece of software i can use it in any way i please except for distributing illegal copies of it.

Why jump trough all the hoops?
I am a person who likes carrying one device. I never liked using a dumb phone and a tablet combo, if it doesn't fit in my pocket, it stays at home.
If i have to carry and additional device with me, i'd rather take a laptop.
I've tried many devices and the N900 is the only device that fulfills those "one device" needs for me.

I know there are better gaming options out there, but as i said before, FOR ME, its not so grim.

p.s. I think we have a different view about what are modern games.
For my taste, Colin McRae on the PSX emulator is more modern the those cartoony 2 minute games that exist in abundance on the iPhone/Android app store.
Ofcourse, Asphalt is more modern the Coling McRae.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Daneel View Post
My point was that the n900 has a gaming experience is not so grim as some people here try to paint it to be.
Let's stop jumping around opening new holes and avoiding the questions and stick to the one argument at hand.

Your arguments against iOS:

PSX emulators: pretty much exists on all major platforms including iOS. So, Colin McRae? I'm sure you can run that on iOS too.

Preenv: afaik all games on WebOS are available on iOS, cheaper and gets launched before the WebOS version.

Moreover, the iOS has more than 200K apps. If you want to focus on the guttercrapapps, then quote the iFart apps and all the simplistic casual games on it. On the other hand, if you talk about the best of smartphone gaming available on the moment, iOS also has the most of those too. Titles from Square soft, EA, Telltale games, Lucas art, Epic, Rockstar, Taito, Namco and so much more.

Your arguments for N900:

Emulators: ok, these are good. But 'modern'? Not so much. (see last point above)

'current/modern' games: you cited preenv. To get these games legally, you need to buy a n900, a palm pre (or whatever other models) to get access to the WebOS store and actually purchase the software.

OR, you can pirate them.

ps: Are you recommending a purchase of WebOS device to all maemo fans interested in 'modern gaming', or does this case only apply to those with existing WebOS device (sunk cost, sure, but still it didn't come free).
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2011-03-08 at 05:50.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by casketizer View Post
@gerbick
Buying a LINUX device and expecting "modern" games for it is kinda......dunno....weird.
Linux has never been and never will be a gaming platform.
iOS has a BSD core, WebOS has a Linux kernel, Android is (somewhat) based on Linux... all of them have more games than the N900.

Being Linux based doesn't exactly mean a lack of games. Accepting that shouldn't be the norm.

Im not trying to bully anyone in to buying an N900 to play games.

What are you trying to prove? I already said the Apple/iPhone gaming experience might be better and easier the obtain.
My point was that the N900 gaming situation is not grim.
If you want to play some games on the N900, you can

For me, gaming on the N900 is ok(i never specifically said that its better then Apple/Android), especially if you are used to keypad/joypad type of controller.
I mentioned Asphalt being more modern then Colin McRae.
I actually tried it on my friends iPhone and the game itself looks really good but i didn't feel comfortable playing it on the touch screen.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Let's stop jumping around opening new holes and avoiding the questions and stick to the one argument at hand.

Your arguments against iOS:

PSX emulators: pretty much exists on all major platforms including iOS. So, Colin McRae? I'm sure you can run that on iOS too.

Preenv: afaik all games on WebOS are available on iOS, cheaper and gets launched before the WebOS version.

Moreover, the iOS has more than 200K apps. If you want to focus on the guttercrapapps, then quote the iFart apps and all the simplistic casual games on it. On the other hand, if you talk about the best of smartphone gaming available on the moment, iOS also has the most of those too. Titles from Square soft, EA, Telltale games, Lucas art, Epic, Rockstar, Taito, Namco and so much more.

Your arguments for N900:

Emulators: ok, these are good. But 'modern'? Not so much. (see last point above)

'current/modern' games: you cited preenv. To get these games legally, you need to buy a n900, a palm pre (or whatever other models) to get access to the WebOS store and actually purchase the software.

OR, you can pirate them.

ps: Are you recommending a purchase of WebOS device to all maemo fans interested in 'modern gaming', or does this case only apply to those with existing WebOS device (sunk cost, sure, but still it didn't come free).

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Gerbick will you learn some manners on this thread before someone shoots you (sticking my tounge out at you).
Pay me to act better. I accept bribes and supported gadgets.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
Having a Linux or BSD kernel is not the same as being a "real" GNU/Linux OS. PS3 has a BSD kernel too....
GNU/Linux has never been a platform for modern Games, just Emus and stuff....

Tags
bada rox, convert, games, syinbin, tick pepol, twig the tool