Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
You might need to disassemble to clean it up in this case, as it seems that the mosture has already corroded some contacts.
Well, I did open it up. The area under the screen has some water spots and a little bit of corrosion on the covers. Problem is, I don't know what it looks like under the covers. Backside looks pristine.

Not sure how I'd be able to do any more.

Originally Posted by gerbick
But let's be honest... maybe it was a hint that you were paying more attention to the N900 than your wife. Shameful.
If I truly was paying more attention to my N900, it wouldn't have been in the kitchen.

Originally Posted by Joseph.skb
Not sure if this will work, but how about (gently) rubbing the SIM contact with a pen-eraser? Since you mentioned only network is not registering, it could be some contaminant on the contact points?
Not likely considering that it was one of the first things that probably was dried, since I could reach that. The contacts don't look corroded, and the phone does seem to recognize that there is a card in the slot.

Originally Posted by mdengler
Check /var/log/syslog - see if there are any CMT errors, or what errors you see there.
No such file in that directory.

Right now, I'm going to charge the battery for a little bit (since it was almost dead) and I'm going to leave it open for a bit. Not sure what else I can do here...

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Put a mast on it and set it asail hehehe it will take to water like a duck haha.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
I feel bad for suggesting this, but in case there's permanent damage and you don't want to fix it (due to cost or something else), you could still salvage the usable features of the N900.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=69609

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hong Kong, CHINA
Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
No such file in that directory.
If you install the sysklogd package and reboot you will. Lots of useful info.

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Chennai
Hey dude ?? convey my congrats to her ,,, she did a great job to the crap phone :P

Originally Posted by mdengler View Post
If you install the sysklogd package and reboot you will. Lots of useful info.
I don't know how to do that.

Originally Posted by redscorpionkiller View Post
Hey dude ?? convey my congrats to her ,,, she did a great job to the crap phone :P
8 Posts - all of them pointless. My congrats to you sir.

Bummer about the water damage to the N900. Rice has worked for me in the past but of 3 phones I got wet only one ever made a full recovery. Strangely enough it was an old nokia.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following User Says Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
No further luck in getting the cell service working. Barring any other suggestions, I'll probably eventually contact SquareTrade to see if they will honor the extended warranty on it. I'm not counting on it, tho.

In the meantime, I'll use it like a PDA and use my backup phone as a phone. It will suck not having internet access when I want it, tho.

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ fauldhouse
take phone insrens out on it the report it stoilling in like 3 munths and u get a new 1 dun this so meny times

Sorry to hear about that mate i know how you feel as i have been in similar situation my n900 fell in the sink i took the battery out straight away and put it on top of my home heater radiator for about a week before putting battery back in and thank GOD my n900 is still with me running perfectly fine!