Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Originally Posted by rishabsp View Post
ohhhhhhhohhhhhh my goodness can I know a thing which N900 can't do .......
u say e7 can do a lot more than N900 .... I know e7 can multiboot andriod,,meego,,maemo......opppppssss its for N900......e7 can run playstation games reallllyyyyy??????ooooo
e7 is a little kid in front of n900 ,,only the good part of it is camera and nothing else,,,have u see application menu of e7 ew iit looks cheap nevermind it has such a big os a laggy SYMBAIN3 ....e7 cant be compared to mighty N900......can u tell me a thing n900 cant do that e7 can do...except the camera part.....first use both phones then comment...for ur information I just got 1 n 18 of this month....gave it to my dad....N900 is the best.....
The guy said N8, not E7. My wife has an N8 and she loves it more than her old iPhone. A good 12mp camera, voice navigation and HDMI-out are not to be underestimated.

Go to allaboutsymbian.com for an honest review of the E7 pointing out its shortcoming like the edof camera etc.

Last edited by maluka; 2011-02-20 at 14:50.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 310 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ireland
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
The guy said N8, not E7. My wife has an N8 and she loves it more than her old iPhone. A good 12mp camera, voice navigation and HDMI-out are not to be underestimated.

Go to allaboutsymbian.com for an honest review of the E7 pointing out its shortcoming like the edof camera etc.
a good 12 mega pixel camera? file are 1mb onless you undo the compression with sighning the mods app and it gives you full 9mb files

Originally Posted by omaniac View Post
As mikecomputing said, the phone is not for people who likes N900 or android or any other non-symbian devices.N900
Well, I have both (N900 & E7) and I think both are wonderful devices
But yeah, E7 is a lot like N8 - if one deeply hates the N8 there's no reason to even consider the E7.

N900

E7

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I cannot imagine how you didn't like the user experience on the N8. It can do so much more than even the N900.

That said: The E7 runs the same operating system with the same UI as the N8. What answer do you expect???
I would have to disagree with you on that comment. I trialled the N8 for two weeks and the Nokia N8's internet browsing experience is atrocious. It was frustrating typing in URL's.

Typing on the screen was no where near better than typing on a physical keyboard, even with software such as SWYPE.

The N8's symbian3 software as new as it is felt dated and backwards compared to Maemo.

That is just three things I remember the most.
My Nokia N900 is my website, still up an running for the Maemo community. My Nokia N900 is upgraded to 21.2011.38-1Tmaemo1.1 ~ CSSU ready ~ Overclocked ~ Speed patched ~ Swappolube ~ was running 7 desktops ~ 270 apps and counting ~ Multi-Boot with Standard Kernel , Kernel Power 2.6.28.10power47 and NITDroid N12 "UMay".

Horses for courses, I'd say.

Looks like a nice device, nice design, looks as solid as the N900. I wouldn't consider it an UP-grade from the N900 though. Doubt I could go back to Symbian after the N900.

I'd certainly recommend it to someone who is new to the smart-phone market as worth a look.

Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
I would appreciate if new E7 users (apparently selling in Finland now), can give us unbiased review of E7. I would really like to buy it, by disappointed in N8. Thanks in advance.
if you don't like N8, you pretty much hate E7 in one way or another.
but since you didn't mention what are the disappointments on N8, it's hard to even give you a comparison or tips on what to look out for.
to be fair, most N900 enthusiasts will fan you off from getting E7 over N900 as N900 has a powerful software side that E7 will not match although both N8 & E7 are built with quite a powerful ARM11 680MHz processor, my short review will compare mostly to N8 since i've all these devices on hand.

1) Display: E7 uses 4" with CBD, great if you are outdoor a lot, but N8 is not too bad with 3.5" AMOLED. but both having the same screen resolution.

2) Memory: N8 has microSD slot for up to 32GB card while E7 has not.

3) Screen lock: E7 on the left which is not ergonomic to me as i slide the switch using my right thumb.

4) Volume keys: E7 using a switch rocker which i see dust accumulating while N8 is using press keys.

5) Size: E7 has not the camera portion stick out although it's slightly thicker & bigger than N8. but i still don't like the rounded sides, it's just too slippery. E7 is not suitable for me as i usually put my phone in the pocket, it's slightly too big for me & the keyboard popup is annoying when i try to churn it out of my tight jeans. E7 is heavier, almost like N900.

6) Mic/Spk: i don't like both devices with the speaker at the back, i just can't hear a thing when i put it facing up. the mic for E7 is at the odd place, i've not really tried this one as i'm only using it on data & gonna return to my friend.

7) Power: same to N8, battery hidden inside. E7 has only microUSB for both charging & data transfer while N8 spots an additional power port at the bottom.

8) Menu button: E7 has a more sensible location of menu button in the middle while N8's is not friendly to people with short fingers or small hands, like me, a typical small size asian.

9) Text input: obviously the good part is E7 spots an additional QWERTY keyboard underneath the screen, it's pretty fast for me to type chinese characters with the keyboard comparing to the usual touch input on N8.

10) Build: same old problem with N8, they advertise how strong, scratch proof & robust the Al casting case & corning glass; but the top & bottom cap of the phone is normal plastic part & the paint will wear off over time, & scratches is easy; as E7 is new, no matt screen protector available to protect the screen from my oily fingers. E7 screen frame is plastic, probably will have this problem as well.

11) Software: if you don't like N8 running on the same S^3 OS, you'll not like E7. the only app that N8 didn't get FOC is QuickOffice.

i may not be entirely representative or correct as this is only my personal view. for spec comparison, you can check out Forum Nokia or Nokia website for more details.

on a not so related note, has anyone tried porting Maemo/Meego onto E7? is that possible? that'd be lovely.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xyes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on May 2010 @ UK, London
Thanks for the nice summary but just a quick note: The N8 does have Quick Office for free after you update to PR1.1 .

The Following User Says Thank You to kevinp93 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,348 | Thanked: 1,863 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ fr/35/rennes
Got the E7 and I am thinking about looking for someone who want to exchange it for a N900 because I really lack a shell ...

https://purl.org/rzr/abandonware

Please help to list all maemo existing apps :

https://github.com/abandonware/aband...ment-578143760

https://wiki.maemo.org/Apps#

I am looking for " 4 inch TFT LCD display screen " for Nokia n950 HandSet

http://rzr.online.fr/q/lcd

Also, I need online storage to archive files :

http://db.tt/gn5Qffd6#

https://my.pcloud.com/#page=register...e=g8ikZmcfEJy#

I've only got to fiddle with an e7 for a few moments, but it sure looks and feels great. Some people in Nokia hardware design really know their stuff. Physically it's easily the best phone I've tried, and it looks just great.

Unfortunately, the use experience is completely ruined by Symbian. What a shame, such a waste of a potentially awesome phone. e7 with Maemo (or Meego?) would be teh epic win. Why won't they put Maemo on things! Damn!

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Is there any difference with N8, except for the keyboard?