My next phone will NOT be nokia. I'm quite fed up with this ****. Every 1-2 years I buy a prerium nokia handset, just to see it fail to do tasks that it supposed to out of the box. You keep hoping that issues will be fixed with software updates, but they just mess it up more and after that nokia drops the support like a ton of bricks.
The N95 was a bucketfull of ****; poor batterylife, way too little ram, gps hardly ever worked and never delivered the gaming experience they promised.
The N97 on the other hand was even worse! Nothing worked on this device. Nothing! Not even calling nor alarm clock.
The N900 promised much and felt like a solid device in the start. It never got the features that were promised (portrait mode, turn-by-turn gps) and they dropped support faster than I could spell C-A-T
Guess nokia just lost their way when they entered the smartphone market.
Now they even dropped meego and symbian... There's no more future for old nokia devices.

Last edited by keljuk; 2011-03-15 at 02:21.

The Following User Says Thank You to keljuk For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by keljuk View Post
My next phone will NOT be nokia. I'm quite fed up with this ****. Every 1-2 years I buy a prerium nokia handset, just to see it fail to do tasks that it supposed to out of the box. You keep hoping that issues will be fixed with software updates, but they just mess it up more and after that nokia drops the support like a ton of bricks.
The N95 was a bucketfull of ****; poor batterylife, way too little ram, gps hardly ever worked and never delivered the gaming experience they promised.
The N97 on the other hand was even worse! Nothing worked on this device. Nothing! Not even calling nor alarm clock.
The N900 promised much and felt like a solid device in the start. It never got the features that were promised (portrait mode, turn-by-turn gps) and they dropped support faster than I could spell C-A-T
Guess nokia just lost their way when they entered the smartphone market.
Now they even dropped meego and symbian... There's no more future for old nokia devices.
The 5800 is still getting updates - 3 years after launch. Most of the E series are getting updates, even the E90.

Nokia + MS will be great devices, but not for the crowd here obviosly. I don't understand why exactly, because what 90 percent of people here are whining about are apps and a iPhone'ish UI.

Originally Posted by Qrchack View Post
@all to replyed
Well... it seems You didn't understand me. I didn't write about all those apps available through app-get, extras-devel and so on, and so on.
For all of geeks here all theese are natural. I'm talking about an average user looking on www.maemo.org. Downloads for maemo: 613. 613! Amazing! after 1,5 years of development, really, really promising platform.
And chmmm, what do we see on apple app store? 600 daily (just a guess)

I don't want to say, any of n900 app is a crap. I don't want to say that n900 is a crap. I AM USING IT. AND I LOVE IT. But You, the Community must take a look not from a point of view of a geek like many of You are. But from the point of view of a guy, who barely can turn on the phone and is happy when he can download angry birds (and thinks he is a pro after doing it). This is the point of view I believe Nokia took.

So, stop showing the stats unavailable for ppl as mentioned. They won't give a f... They see 600 aps, and this is to few.

Besides, correct me if i'm wrong. How many useless eye-candy apps do we have for N900? Two? Liqflow (much better than any interactive wallpaper on android) and live-wallpaper? There are hundreds of them on and. averages don't give a f... about OO3.0 working on a phone. They want those funny little fishes running from the finger.

QUANTITY not USEFULNESS. That's what's missing.

@MaddogG Quick reply: Of course u don't need the farting app. Neither do I. But this bald men, with this ***** face, cursing every two words will love it. And he is the majority, not You, Me, or anyone on this forum.
And let me ask one think, when did Nokia stop supporting the N900? And Maemo, of course?
here is only one problem with the foundation of your entire reasoning. The n900 was never meant to be a mainstream device. the phone came out in a less than pefect state, it was up to date hardware wise but the software was lacking. then nokia didnt exactly provide the best developing environment. which im certain scared away a lot of would be developers. Then there is the entire ovi store fiasco. that thing still isn't running perfectly. Simply put this device was simply not set to succeed, it is entirely community supported and they have been doing an awesome job at it.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
CUSTOMERS ARE NOT OUR PROBLEM. THEY WERE NOKIA'S PROBLEM. NOKIA FAILED THEM.
Same goes for MeeGo.
I think you're barking up the wrong tree.
Thanks, I think that makes it pretty clear.

My apologies for wasting your time. I'll hope that my n900 software continues to operate as well as it has, but not be hanging out for any 'community' release or MeeGo upgrade - because I guess those are not going to be of any benefit to users (although, when I suggested the latter in another thread, I was shouted at for suggesting that). I had hoped the 'community' release would be for users - but I get from the drift of this that it is for developers (i.e., this community - not n900 users).

Again, thanks for clearing this misunderstanding up - I can safely ignore this forum, because (from what you are saying) it has nothing to offer n900 users, only developers. Stating the obvious can be worthwhile.

And as you say, there is little on offer to n900 owners from Nokia,

Mish.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@dan: are you talking with imaginary trolls again? I don't see his original post.
S'okay. Haters be hatin' but I was all chillaxin' and I felt for him.. Nokia be makin' it hard for my fellow Maemers, I know dat. I say chill, homies. Take a toke 'n don't act like a dope, just say nope and cut the mope. Sit back, relax, put up your feet and just understand we're all in this boat together. Some of us granulated from the college of hard knocks and went Droid but we all got hopes, right? So chill, my bros.

Also... his vitriolic post was probably deleted.

Originally Posted by mishmich View Post

My apologies for wasting your time. I'll hope that my n900 software continues to operate as well as it has, but not be hanging out for any 'community' release or MeeGo upgrade - because I guess those are not going to be of any benefit to users (although, when I suggested the latter in another thread, I was shouted at for suggesting that). I had hoped the 'community' release would be for users - but I get from the drift of this that it is for developers (i.e., this community - not n900 users).

Again, thanks for clearing this misunderstanding up - I can safely ignore this forum, because (from what you are saying) it has nothing to offer n900 users, only developers. Stating the obvious can be worthwhile.

And as you say, there is little on offer to n900 owners from Nokia,

Mish.
EXACTLY the reason why Maemo was going downhill. Nokia doesn't listen and doesn't care.. add to that, Maemo forum people often dumped on people that were bringing their genuine concerns and suggestions over and telling them THEY don't need to listen and don't care. What's the point of either Nokia OR Maemo if their customers and users have no forum to communicate to developers and engineers, or at LEAST communicate to the company or the very organization that is named after (and supposedly represents) the OS?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2011-03-15 at 09:43.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
What's the point of either Nokia OR Maemo if their customers and users have no forum to communicate to developers and engineers, or at LEAST communicate to the company or the very organization that is named after (and supposedly represents) the OS?
Let's get a things straight. Maemo.org does not represent Nokia (or the other way around) - it's an enthusiast community of various people, some users, some developers, some Nokians, some students, some unaffiliated, etc. People, however, often take this confrontational stance when they 'discover' a Nokian here - why did Nokia do this or that, why is something (not) working one way or the other, or go into writing these 'goodbye' letters and more often than not it ends up in useless mudslinging/flaming. This "but why can't I express my dissatisfaction" I never quite got. You can do it of course, but why are you surprised that people talking about how the Force sucks will be booed on a Star Wars Convention ? If you have an issue with whatever happens in SW or Star Trek, you should address Paramount or George Lucas, not the fans/people/communities involved in the respective 'platforms'.

That said, there ARE official Nokia forums (and of course Nokia care) where people are free to go to and unleash all their insight. See

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...ces/bd-p/maemo

or

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...20-Maemo-MeeGo

etc, etc.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mishmich View Post
Please don't twist my words.

My apologies for wasting your time. I'll hope that my n900 software continues to operate as well as it has, but not be hanging out for any 'community' release or MeeGo upgrade - because I guess those are not going to be of any benefit to users (although, when I suggested the latter in another thread, I was shouted at for suggesting that).
No, you were criticizing MeeGo as it exists right now for not being ready for end users. It would take a secondary effort to make it suitable for that, something which has always been known to people who paid attention to the project. If anything, the efforts behind the CSSU and Cordia are what are necessary to make that possible, and the evolution of the MeeGo DE will enhance it. THAT is what you should be waiting for, and that is what will happen here.

My point is that we are not responsible, unlike Qrchak suggested, for providing shiny, eyecandy apps and draw in customers. That was supposed to be developers targeting the Ovi store, which Nokia spectacularly failed to support.

I had hoped the 'community' release would be for users - but I get from the drift of this that it is for developers (i.e., this community - not n900 users).
This forum is for users. It is also full of developers. The CSSU is for N900 users, but you seem to be making the same fundamental mistake Qrchak is, in being unable to differentiate between Nokia's perspective of people as customers, and Maemo.org as a place for both developers and users that has no fundamental connection to Nokia, nor any responsibility for promoting its business.

If twisting people's words so you can paint yourself as "rejected" makes you feel better, so be it.

Last edited by wmarone; 2011-03-15 at 14:58.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Let's get a things straight. Maemo.org does not represent Nokia (or the other way around) - it's an enthusiast community of various people, some users, some developers, some Nokians, some students, some unaffiliated, etc. People, however, often take this confrontational stance when they 'discover' a Nokian here - why did Nokia do this or that, why is something (not) working one way or the other, or go into writing these 'goodbye' letters and more often than not it ends up in useless mudslinging/flaming. This "but why can't I express my dissatisfaction" I never quite got. You can do it of course, but why are you surprised that people talking about how the Force sucks will be booed on a Star Wars Convention ? If you have an issue with whatever happens in SW or Star Trek, you should address Paramount or George Lucas, not the fans/people/communities involved in the respective 'platforms'.

That said, there ARE official Nokia forums (and of course Nokia care) where people are free to go to and unleash all their insight. See

or

etc, etc.
Let's get another thing straight, then, the website is named talk.MAEMO.org, the operating system is MAEMO and Nokia communicates with the MAEMO community through the MAEMO Community Counsel which mainly communicates through talk.MAEMO.org. If this is the community for MAEMO (the operating system) and Nokia really isn't paying attention to their customers on their own forums... it shouldn't really be a surprise people come to talk.MAEMO.org to ask why did Nokia's MAEMO does this or that, why is something (not) working one way or the other, or go into writing these 'goodbye' letters.

Thanks for making the Nokia end of things clear, but I think the MAEMO end of things are far less clear to new people as well as long-time users. As I recall, Nokia was footing the bill for the forum too. Sooooo that makes it even MORE confusing.

By the by: As I recall, after Episode I: The Phantom Menace came out, there seemed to be a LARGE, seemingly majority, of fans that came out to say that the explanation of The Force in the movie SUCKED. It didn't seem that they were booed at cons and it DID reach Lucas' ears, as I recall, and he's avoided that element of the explanation ever since. Perhaps you have a better analogy?

To clarify: I'm expressing to you what the customers coming here might probably rightfully be thinking when they come here to complain and criticize. Nokia certainly has a communication problem, don't they?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2011-03-15 at 19:22.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post

or

etc, etc.
Thanks for this, most helpful. In a year of coming here and owning an n900, this is the first time I have heard of these. The only reason I come here is because I want to know about new releases, updates, upgrades, software, etc. If I can find that out elsewhere, then I don't have to waste my (or anybody else's) time here.

Mish.

Last edited by mishmich; 2011-03-15 at 21:12. Reason: dup

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Please don't twist my words.
Not sure how quoting you is twisting your words.

No, you were criticizing MeeGo as it exists right now for not being ready for end users. It would take a secondary effort to make it suitable for that, something which has always been known to people who paid attention to the project. If anything, the efforts behind the CSSU and Cordia are what are necessary to make that possible, and the evolution of the MeeGo DE will enhance it. THAT is what you should be waiting for, and that is what will happen here.
No, I was suggesting it will not be - not that it is not. I was told to wait until April, when we would see that it will be. I am waiting till next month, to see what MeeGo brings the n900.

This forum is for users. It is also full of developers. The CSSU is for N900 users, but you seem to be making the same fundamental mistake Qrchak is, in being unable to differentiate between Nokia's perspective of people as customers, and Maemo.org as a place for both developers and users that has no fundamental connection to Nokia, nor any responsibility for promoting its business.
No, actually, reading through the site, it is clear that Maemo.org is intended primarily to be a community for developers, but where users are accommodated. That is a difference. The CSSU is for developers, hackers and 'power users' (if you read the notes, this is made clear) - with a hope that one day it will be available for users (again, this confusion between what something IS, and what one day it might BE - as with MeeGo).

So, MeeGo and the CSSU - neither are for users, although people talk about them as if they exist in some usable format; they are for developers, and one day may be usable for people who are not developers, hackers or 'power users'.

If twisting people's words so you can paint yourself as "rejected" makes you feel better, so be it.
I understand that we all say things we may wished we hadn't, but when something is quoted, it is quoted. Recently, somebody asked when users are told to more-or-less f*** off, as they had never seen that. If that line of yours isn't along those lines, I don't know what is. It is fine - you are always right, you are not interested in listening to any criticism, and you have no issues about alienating potential allies. I have no problem with that either. I'll just drift along, using my n900 as my every-day mobile device, get my e-mails and texts, log on to Facebook, use stellarium and other apps, and so on. If I get to hear that there is an upgrade/update that works somewhere along the line, I might try it, provided it hasn't broken too many other n900's in the process. But I won't hold my breath, or be that keen to involve myself - because that is not my responsibility either.

Mish

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org