Recieved this email this morning and it seems clear that it is a scam/spam email. It mentions Maemo.org clearly and it went to the ermail address I use on Maemo.org:
:
Subject: hello
Hello my dear, how are you,
my name is SARAH UDHA I wish to contact you personally for a purpose, please i will like you to reply me through my email (sarahudah@yahoo.com) for you to know me, Despite that we have not seen in person but when i saw your profile today at (garage.maemo.org)My heart welcomes you, i will reply you with my pictures and more about me on my next mail, remember apply its a great opportunity, waiting to hear from you have a blessed day
from Sarah PLS TRY TO CONTANT ME THROUGH MY EMAIL ADDRESS AT

sarahudah@yahoo.com
Is there a weakness in the Maemo.org server? How is it someone was able to get ahold of my information to spam me?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monkeyman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
Recieved this email this morning and it seems clear that it is a scam/spam email. It mentions Maemo.org clearly and it went to the ermail address I use on Maemo.org:
:

Is there a weakness in the Maemo.org server? How is it someone was able to get ahold of my information to spam me?
Hi DAVID

If you have a garage account, you can see anyone's email address by clicking on their name. That sucks big time.

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Looking at your profile at https://garage.maemo.org/users/your_user_name/ (requires being logged in) your e-mail address is viewable, with a simple @nospam@ added to it.

Last edited by juise-; 2011-03-16 at 15:44.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Treat spam with spam and as you have her email address get everyone to spam her haha.

I agree though getting someone's email address from a forum sucks big time BUT this is not the case on this forum as no email addresses are visable.

NB i wonder... have you opened up a can of worms here? hmmm.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-03-16 at 15:44.

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Treat spam with spam and as you have her email address get everyone to spam her haha.
Don't do this: fighting fire with fire will not work.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
I agree though getting someone's email address from a forum sucks big time BUT this is not the case on this forum as no email addresses are visable.
It's from garage.maemo.org - not talk.maemo.org. They are different. Your email address is clearly visible to anyone with a registered account.

I've just deleted my garage account for this reason.

The Following User Says Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by jedi View Post
Don't do this: fighting fire with fire will not work.

It's from garage.maemo.org - not talk.maemo.org. They are different. Your email address is clearly visible to anyone with a registered account.

I've just deleted my garage account for this reason.
OUCH i thought this would turn into something nasty.

I agree with jedi that firing off spam at her will only reveal your email address and not have the desired effect. That email address will likely only be used by him/her for a day or two then that person will create a new one and start all over again.
I was so focused on the idea that my email had been violated by spam that I completely missed the obvious "garage.maemo.org” included in the message.
It would be nice if Yahoo had a "spoof(at)yahoo.com" like ebay and paypal do so I could report it. I searched google for it but came up with one person saying what I am ("I wish there was a spoof(at)yaho....) and a thousand pages of sites with B.S. links (the usual Google result).

Thanks guys and gals, I've taken the step of creating an email address I don't care about and using it for my Garage account.

The Following User Says Thank You to monkeyman For This Useful Post: