Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
Compatibility makes no sense if you're on the bottom. ...

And lastly, why should Nokia pay all the R&D costs to build and maintain MeeGo, pay to install Alien Dalvik, and let Google make money from the app store sales that they'll then channel into competing with you? Why not just put Android on for nothing and save all the R&D costs and licensing fees?
As I said, I know couple of Android-app-developers, and if they could get "real" Linux instead of Android cribbled Linux, they would change, only if they could still develop with Java. Meego is "real" Linux.
Meego is ready. If Nokia makes GUI to it for smart phones, it doesn't have to release for free for competitors, if it writes the GUI on top of LGPL resources, and besides Nokia owns Qt.

And Alien Dalvik, as I said, surely costs less than license to WP7. So, if they (Elop) is willing to pay for WP7, why not Alien Dalvik, when it would be the winning strategy. Meego-phones would immediately get enough apps to go over the "critical mass".

And there is no reason why Ovi couldn't have Android-apps also, if they get installed cleanly to Meego-device and works after that under (any) Dalvik VM.
Besides, selling apps currently is not profitable to Google either.

One more extra option would be to develop QTJambi futher, so those who absolutely just want to develop in Java, could also use Qt to make them more efficient Java-apps and skip Android-oddities.

Last edited by zimon; 2011-02-15 at 21:26.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Picture posts already?

I'll get my shovel.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Veitshöchheim, Germany
i am sorry but,.. it was my fault.

so... why the **** did they move to an OS that barely has any applications?...

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
I killed it may'an.

Holy guacomole.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
The license for Alien Dalvik costs surely less than a license to WP7.
That's questionable. According to rumours Nokia is getting $1billion to promote and develop WP7 handsets, and we don't know how much Nokia is paying per handset to license WP7, it would fit Microsofts MO to give it to Nokia cheap to secure the deal in the same way they started doing cheap versions of Windows for netbooks to kill off Linux on netbooks.

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Dubai
No NOkia should have listened to you and developed another N9xx for a platform which would have been used by 0.00002% of cell phone owners and 0.0001% of devs to make something decent for people to use other than making calls.

The Following User Says Thank You to sak500 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Yes, it deserved to die... and I hope it burns in hell!

Sorry... I had to do it. I don't think that Maemo/MeeGo/Qt was utilized to the best of it's potential, it didn't gather enough 3rd party vendors that would have stayed with it, and Nokia didn't market it well to help increase the adoption rate.

Simply put, I'm not surprised it "died", any parts of it. But I think Nokia is to blame. Not this community... Nokia.

Tags
fagtags, from tagfags, i am spartacus, it was meeeee, op == idiot, op=gay, op=orig.poster, op=tomato, this is sparta, troll-thread