Notices

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ New York, NY
when I first got my N900 I was excited to a number of apps I saw on youtube and on these threads. One of the most exciting was the remote desktop capabilities. Instructions seemed pretty straight forward, but when I tried it, it becaume more and more involved. I always had problems which no one else seemed to have, and eventually I gave up (even after a lot of help from people in the maemo community).

So my question is, after more than a year, has there been any progress in this area?

With the growth of these types of programs accross the iphone and android devices, is it any easier than it used to be? For instance, even VNC, which is not that difficult on a computer, is much more difficult to set-up than teamviewer or other such programs. Logmein is another alternative, but is not as quick and others.

Originally Posted by jmc8501 View Post
when I first got my N900 I was excited to a number of apps I saw on youtube and on these threads. One of the most exciting was the remote desktop capabilities. Instructions seemed pretty straight forward, but when I tried it, it becaume more and more involved. I always had problems which no one else seemed to have, and eventually I gave up (even after a lot of help from people in the maemo community).

So my question is, after more than a year, has there been any progress in this area?

With the growth of these types of programs accross the iphone and android devices, is it any easier than it used to be? For instance, even VNC, which is not that difficult on a computer, is much more difficult to set-up than teamviewer or other such programs. Logmein is another alternative, but is not as quick and others.
TightVNC takes all of about 30 seconds to download and install. I use Presence VNC viewer and its flawless.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

remote desktop works fine for me. in fact, though i haven't had to do it in a while, tunneling over ssh and port forwarding got me connected to my machine at work whenever i had to do some quick fixes.

what kind of problems are you having with remote desktop? are you sure you enabled it on your target machine? did you check for firewall issues?