Active Topics

Notices

For some time i've been facing a problem with HAM and FAPMAN beeing insanely slow and almost every time returning an error (usually FAPMAN returned an error about being blocked from by another app). I can;t find a solution to that and since it's the way to install apps I need it to stop. Any feedback will be helpful.

I found App Manager in particular was a lot quicker after I changed swappiness from the default 100 to something a bit saner! I did it 'manually' but Swappolube would appear to be a handy app to achieve the same result.

The Following User Says Thank You to rich c For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
It's a lot faster to use apt-get in xterm, running as root. And you get instructive error messages that way.

If you don't know much about apt-get you can start by running apt-get help as root and reading the info you get.

The problem is that I use HAM/FAPMAN to search for interesting apps so apt-get won't do the thing.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by swistaq View Post
The problem is that I use HAM/FAPMAN to search for interesting apps so apt-get won't do the thing.
Actually you can:

Code:
apt-cache search _ANY_INTERESTING_KEYWORD_HERE_

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
For some time i've been facing a problem with HAM and FAPMAN beeing insanely slow and almost every time returning an error (usually FAPMAN returned an error about being blocked from by another app). I can;t find a solution to that and since it's the way to install apps I need it to stop. Any feedback will be helpful.
FAPMAN will be blocked if HAM is running - bear in mind that when HAM updates the catalogues and checks for newer versions in the repos it can be a background task when you first tether to an internet connection - during this time the process will be locked so FAPMAN cannot access it.

I'm usually just swiping through the catalouges not looking for something in particular .

The problem is that BOTH HAM and FAPMAN are slow. If one worked I'd just use it.

Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
I'm usually just swiping through the catalouges not looking for something in particular .

The problem is that BOTH HAM and FAPMAN are slow. If one worked I'd just use it.
Then you'd be best off to use neither one of them and use the shell instead.

Terminal;

Code:
sudo gainroot
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get search INSERT_KEYWORD
á la 9000 - merci beaucoup mon ami.

The Following User Says Thank You to Switch_ For This Useful Post:
Well I'd rather have the problem fixed than skipp around it since that's not the way it should be.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
-Grow time-window of rolling timed 24h automatic update check interval (use google or forums power search for this)
-What repositories you have enabled in Fapman?
--Disable ones that you think that you do not need
-Be specific on how itīs slow? What is slow?
--Is it slow on downloading stuff or is list scrolling slow or what is slow?
-Check log files of fapman (from up-menu)

And last but not least. Default App manager is slow. Nothing what you can do with it. Just donīt use it. We have Fapman that is much more advanced.

.edit
Also please remember that commands that Switch_ just introduced gives you THE fastest way of 1. updating repositorie lists 2. Upgrading already installed apps and 3. searching and then installing apps. For minimum "zero" level try those commands and if it still "feels" slow then there is nothing that you can do. Of course you can install apps without first refreshing repositories.

btw. To use search from CLI
apt-cache --names-only search <yourkeywordhere>
Does search from downloaded repository list and check keyword only from package name, otherwise it checks full description.

Last edited by slender; 2011-03-30 at 17:21.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post: