thanks for the replies, my phone is out of warranty and before i found this forum i repaired it myself with a filed down tip and i also scratched the sides away to add more solder which has lasted great until i ran into the charger cable trying to catch my son toddling near the stairs. Hitting the cable so hard ripped all the pads off. iam not going to attemp it myself im taking my phone and mipo's pics to a friend who has the tools and is more than skilled to do the repair.

Thanks again il take some before and after pics if its successful as u will see the mess that is left after my first repair

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Austin TX
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
Or just send it back to Nokia to repair, the N900 is covered by a 2 year warrantee and this is a known issue by Nokia. Use the Nokia support page to check the validity of the warantee.
Is this true? Has anyone had any success getting this done?

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Strive_Masiwa View Post
Is this true? Has anyone had any success getting this done?
It is most certainly true as many have been able to get replacements.

Originally Posted by reaper View Post
thanks for the replies, my phone is out of warranty and before i found this forum i repaired it myself with a filed down tip and i also scratched the sides away to add more solder which has lasted great until i ran into the charger cable trying to catch my son toddling near the stairs. Hitting the cable so hard ripped all the pads off. iam not going to attemp it myself im taking my phone and mipo's pics to a friend who has the tools and is more than skilled to do the repair.

Thanks again il take some before and after pics if its successful as u will see the mess that is left after my first repair
Do you have the circuit diagram?

http://rapidshare.com/#!download|359...atics.pdf|6623

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-04-05 at 16:15.

Not yet i did google something but forgot to save it , i would appreciate a link if you have it thanks.

Not yet i did google something but forgot to save it , i would appreciate a link if you have it thanks.
Sorry i forgot to put the link in, done it now look at my last post.
Unless your registered you will have to go for the slow download but it is not that slow.

I wish you luck and if you run into any problems just get on here as i should be here to help.

Done loads now and shame on me for not doing a dummies guide but i will do soon because Texrat will only nag me to death if i don't lol.

Soldering tips.... i use a weller soldering station with a very fine long pointed tip and i always put the board into a jig, is best to use anti-static precautions (wrist band) and make sure the tip is hot enough but not full on as you will burn the board and melt the pins into the jacket they are encapsulated into, take care here ok.

Scrape away the paint on the earth plain either side of where the usb port was and if you look carefully you will see the pads that the port was soldered on to is so small there is a gap between the pad and the main earthplain, dont worry about this just make sure you scrape enough paint off and apply enough solder to either side, that will make sure it never lifts off the board again.

Do the pins last (on the rear of the port) making sure you have got the usb port lined up correctly with the hole on the case before soldering the pins.

I use a bench magnifier with internal light to work through.

Here is the service manual for the N900, it will show you how to take it apart and put it back together etc etc.

http://rapidshare.com/#!download|376...l_1_2.pdf|1868

Posts: 306 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania
Hi all,

Big thanks to mipo Abil_uk and Texrat for all the helpful advice on this matter. My usb port broke yesterday and i felt like crying, one night without my n900 was enough so after much reading i have decided to the cable-way repair as my pads are gone. I have a friend who is going to do the soldering for me but i need a new micro usb i have found two differnt types for the job but was wondering which is best, ordered a few of each anyway.

http://uk.farnell.com/molex/47589-00...tom/dp/1568023 or http://uk.farnell.com/molex/47346-00...unt/dp/1568026

the difference between : first link is AB type like N8 ( wrong picture ) and second is B type as original n900
you have the chance to mod your n900 receptacle to be host mode compliant (filing cabinet is needed in that case )

Last edited by blue_led; 2011-04-05 at 17:19.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blue_led For This Useful Post:
Posts: 99 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Stuttgart/Germany
Originally Posted by thaimiishoe View Post
hey i cant find any sites that sell the same exact size charge port as the n900. Ive tried ordering 2 that "looked" similar but are off on the alignment or is a mid-mounted charge port. does anyone know where i can order one or at least a charge port that is almost 100% identical in dimensions to the OEM one?
I've got mine here, world wide shipping, no shipping charge:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Buchse-Nokia-6500...item43a4ee5d86
You'll also find other auctions with the same connector.
The listed Nokia models got the same connector.

The Following User Says Thank You to lazart For This Useful Post: