Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Could this have anything to do with the MeeGo project losing Nokia?
Unlikely. Virtually everything going into Android is either already part of the MeeGo kernel and going upstream, or has to be redone entirely for Android (video primarily) and already exists for MeeGo (it is, after all, one of the primary supported platforms.) This is Intel directly competing with ARM for processor design wins, regardless of OS.

Either way a win for open source
A win for Android isn't necessarily a win for open source, due to how isolated it is from virtually everything else in the open source world. Good nonetheless, I agree.

The question is, can Intel reach the efficiency of ARM SoCs?
They can, the question is how long it will take them and if they can get the design wins to make the path viable.

Last edited by wmarone; 2011-04-12 at 02:28.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Eee Pad Manual
http://www.mediafire.com/?9mmrxnpmdxyjsd7

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to H3llb0und For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Check this out and go 'WTF'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBQQE...layer_embedded
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
I find this introspection about size very interesting, especially from someone that has had experience with a bunch of different sized devices.
For that same journey I also travelled previously with a 7” SmartQ and that was sweet under the same circumstances.

Presently I am obsessed with reading, not just eBooks (of which I have thousands) but also downloaded blog articles.

BTW, has anyone else installed Read It Later for Android and love it too? It is one of the top apps IMHO.

When I am too tired to watch a screen then I listen to music. So the video benefit of the larger screen is lost due to non usage in that particular scenario. The versatility of the Streak lets me travel light with one device. In the past it was not unusual for me to have six devices in my bag.

Which is why I am going to check out the Asus Transformer for home use only. It doesn’t matter if the 10” form factor is a bit cumbersome as it will be for couch or table use mainly.

While I could see purchasing more than one device, at the rate these things are evolving, I would hate to have to upgrade 3 at once!
Yes that could be a phaff.

Putting a positive spin on it, I have in mind possibly incorporating it into an exercise routine, like circuit training. Place the devices around the room, run to device one and update first app and run on the spot then, when installed, run to device two and install first app and perform 20 press-ups then, when installed, run to device two and .........

You get the idea, I am sure. Maybe Dell could use that as a marketing strategy, you know, something like ‘Streak with the Streak and shed the blubber’.

Edit
That last bit was intended to be light hearted, just in case.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebski For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Check this out and go 'WTF'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBQQE...layer_embedded
Very simple. That's zero lines of code inside the OpenGL render loop. When the program starts it makes the assumption that the pad is perpendicular to your line-of-sight. An accelerometer/gyro thread fills the line-of-sight delta coordinates for the transformation matrix.

Cool, but very far from magic.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Very simple. That's zero lines of code inside the OpenGL render loop. When the program starts it makes the assumption that the pad is perpendicular to your line-of-sight. An accelerometer/gyro thread fills the line-of-sight delta coordinates for the transformation matrix.

Cool, but very far from magic.
The 'head tracking' in the title may imply that there's more to this technique than relative device movement. Even the first shot shows an individuals head being quite smoothly tracked.

If they are using head tracking, I suspect that it's a combination of positional adjustments (eg. gyro), with facial detection via the camera. The resultant animation looks exceptionally smooth, and although I quite sure that modern SoCs have DSPs that can handle these sort of tasks, I am flabbergasted at how smooth it truly is. Perhaps a clever usage of GPU shaders?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Android has found itself into another device: a universal remote.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/04/conspin-andi-one/

Very, very, cool. This is easily a device I would purchase, as it serves a very useful function.

A smartphone/tablet would be just as good, if all devices supported the same communication framework, which alas, they dont. In the meantime, this seems like great solution and a fierce competitor to Logitech's harmony remote.

Here's hoping the implementation matches the strength of the idea.

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
The 'head tracking' in the title may imply that there's more to this technique than relative device movement. Even the first shot shows an individuals head being quite smoothly tracked.

If they are using head tracking, I suspect that it's a combination of positional adjustments (eg. gyro), with facial detection via the camera. The resultant animation looks exceptionally smooth, and although I quite sure that modern SoCs have DSPs that can handle these sort of tasks, I am flabbergasted at how smooth it truly is. Perhaps a clever usage of GPU shaders?
You're right, their doing head tracking. But again, the head tracking thread is just setting the variables for the matrix transformation. That's it. There's no extra or special code. And if you'll notice, there's no complex lighting whatsoever; the pixel shader code is basically byte copies. You should not be flabbergasted; this is why GPUs were developed in the first place. Think of the pad movement as a joystick movement for a stationary camera.

head tracking thread: CPU and DSP
most everything else: GPU

A dual-core CPU and that monster GPU makes this a simple task for an iPad 2.

EDIT:

And actually, this would be simple for an n900, or any similarly configured device.

Last edited by daperl; 2011-04-12 at 15:22.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
The trick you described is already used on several iPad games I've seen (war pinball, some ball + wooden maze thingy, etc).

It's pretty good, but not great.

This one takes into account the user's face position (and distance?) to render a much more accurate and realistic 3D...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
You're right, their doing head tracking. But again, the head tracking thread is just setting the variables for the matrix transformation. That's it. There's no extra or special code. And if you'll notice, there's no complex lighting whatsoever; the pixel shader code is basically byte copies. You should not be flabbergasted; this is why GPUs were developed in the first place. Think of the pad movement as a joystick movement for a stationary camera.

head tracking thread: CPU and DSP
most everything else: GPU

A dual-core CPU and that monster GPU makes this a simple task for an iPad 2.

EDIT:

And actually, this would be simple for an n900, or any similarly configured device.
Thanks!

Mine was just speculation. Can you share a link to the source?

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy