Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Today,
I was installing eyes's new 2.3.3. Mounted /and and proceeded to rm rf the partition, something went wrong, I ended up removing all the files in my /home.. Whoops! Good for a laugh.

I was lucky enough not to remove my root files (multiboot kernels).

The only system I had access to all day was NITdroid 2.3.1. Great work from eyes and nitdroid team.. But...

ANDROID JUST STINKS!
It's fun for a play, but abysmal as a main OS. I HATE iOS (I do have an iPad, good for net). Droid is virtually the same, but with a terminal.

There are no decent mobile OS's around.

I do not think I could live with any OS other than Maemo. It's not that I'm a crazy little Nokia/Linux/Maemo fanboy. I'm far from it. I am just a person who loves functionality. I love my maemo!

I used to have an Xperia X10, got rid of that and forgot why. Using Droid today, I remember why I hate it as a main OS.

Why the rant?

WHAT NEXT!?!?
Where am I going to go once Maemo is completely gone?
No Nokia, and what about when people tire of the system?
No user help or support...

I fear the day.
I despise Symbion and iOS.

Meego could be a solution for a future problem.. But how can it be without decent hardware?

Maemo is just a flawless (albeit flawed) system!

Sorry for the pointless post.. I just need to vent and rant!

BTW: My N900 is back and running with Maemo!

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to kingoddball For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
Thank you for writing this. I was about to create a similiar thread
but was afraid of all this flame posts.
I tested android(nitdroid) too.

First: Two thinks are really awesome:
1. The work of e-yes and all the other nitdroid developers.
2. The N900, it is just great to see what is possible.

It is fun two play around with android. The UI looks clean. Most
apps "just works".
But after two days it just gets boring.
Android is great for people for which the applications are the
most important part. But not for people who likes to work
with "the system".

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Android is basically, for people that want iOS devices, with a lot more freedom (customizing springboard? icons and resources only. on Android, you have Widgetlocker, LauncherPro, etc.). I mean, I picked up Nitdroid N11, and was surprised that it looked, felt and acted so much like iOS. Except that Android has a dedicated back button, which I like (on iOS, not all apps show a "back" button, your only option is the Home button)

Maemo, however, feels like it was really built for the N900. Smooth, real-time multitasking with previews, smooth animations, responsive UI as long as you don't queue up the IO's, yeah. My only problem is, a desktop-class operating system such as Maemo needs better hardware to really perform. Sure, we can open up 30 apps at once and not have them lag, but once you start using desktop apps (*cough*Easydebian*cough*) the device really starts to slow down.
I'd like to have a N900, with an OMAP4 and 1GB of Mobile DDR2, and a 128GB eMMC, running Maemo 5/MeeGo. That would be a "shut up, and take my money" moment.

(Not to downplay the Nitdroid team's achievements, big thanks to e-yes for new releases, huge steps forward from 0.0.9. I just feel like Maemo is better than Android on the N900, however, I do see a lot of people loving Android more than Maemo.)

Last edited by Hurrian; 2011-04-15 at 10:00.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
tl;dr different strokes for different folks

Android is great. Kind of
Droid and iOS are good for the general public. No the nerds! We are many!

I just got into a small funky hit of "depression" today when I realised how hard it would be to use a phone without the functionality of Maemo/PROPER Linux!

Droid/iOS are the same - They're restricted... Horrible.

Why can't companies see this! Nokia should open Maemo completely!

I hate the "word" APP! It's all I hear all day "what apps has the phone got". I installed this "app" on my computer (windows based).. hahahaha.

Edit: @ Slender: Is there a download link for Cordia (X86/Netbook) available? I'd love to have a play with it.

Last edited by kingoddball; 2011-04-15 at 10:05.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kingoddball For This Useful Post:
Posts: 247 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on May 2010 @ limassol cyprus
i made the mistake of buying an htc wildfire for work cos im on the scooter running around all day and i dont want to ruin my n900 cos of work. so i bought the wildfire....what do i say?5 months on.... its soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boring i ended up hating android, really? what is the use? other than to make phone calls easier, but thats about it! i even went out and bought an extra sim for my n900 so i can at least have an incentive to use it more often. the way it stands, as far as i know, no one in the world has an n900 that looks like mine and i love that! no android or ios for me thanks , just gimme maemo!!!!! and with the new cssu it rocks even more! i love the community here, you guys are wicked! and i love you all.......PEACE!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to n900 lover For This Useful Post:
Ahhh!! More closet fans and haters! We are all coming out!

N900 is so personalised! Same hardware, yet no one has the same software! n900 lover, you are 100% right!
Good man!

Last edited by kingoddball; 2011-04-15 at 10:21.

The Following User Says Thank You to kingoddball For This Useful Post:
Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
I'm really worried about finding a Maemo replacement as well.

Android, iOS, Bada and Symbian are all operating systems that let you play a games, and place phone calls. That's it!

Maemo is whatever you want it to be. I think the N900 is the best and most honest example of "What computers have become", the ultimate convergence device that can challenge the use of a personal computer. AND make those phonecalls.

Everyone keeps talking how mobile is the future and how internet plays a huge part of it. But still we see phones that come with browsers that only support mobile websites, aren't really meant to for manipulating content (such as posting on forums).

For me it sometimes seems there's no real alternative either.

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

Last edited by cjp; 2011-04-15 at 10:38.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cjp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Sometimes I just wonder why Nokia keeps Maemo 5 locked down. Why not let the community fix up the source, update it, and let the device last as long, if not longer than the original NITs? I understand that there are a lot of proprietary kernel-related components (in regards to drivers), but look at the MeeGo team, they were able to use 2.6.37 on the same device. CSSU still has a long way to go, and IIRC Nokia fixed a lot of bugs in PR1.3 (internally D: )

Tags
blow me, ios sucks!, maemo dominates, prada sox, truth