Active Topics

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Before you tear my head clean from my shoulders...

the Xperia line of devices has an official way to unlock bootloaders and SonyEricsson is committing to this for the foreseeable future.

Drivers not withstanding, this may make a fine incubator for future iterations of Maemo or Meego -- and on modern hardware to boot.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
And may I ask you, who would put effort into that Xperia device since it already has Playstation games running on it. Why would people going backward to MeeGO with such superior optimisation on the device right now?

If it runs meeGo then you'll loose the functionalities and supports. But all depending on if someone willingly enough to spend time on it.

Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
I'm wondering the same thing. Is it possible to run any OS on the new SE devices?
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post

the Xperia line of devices has an official way to unlock bootloaders and SonyEricsson is committing to this for the foreseeable future.

Drivers not withstanding, this may make a fine incubator for future iterations of Maemo or Meego -- and on modern hardware to boot.
Does this include the most recent device (Arc -I think it is called)? and how exactly are they "committing"?

Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/13/s...goes-live-mod/
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
And may I ask you, who would put effort into that Xperia device since it already has Playstation games running on it. Why would people going backward to MeeGO with such superior optimisation on the device right now?

If it runs meeGo then you'll loose the functionalities and supports. But all depending on if someone willingly enough to spend time on it.
Only the Xperia-Play plays Playstation Games.....running Meego/Maemo on Xperia-Pro would be awesome.

The Following User Says Thank You to automagic68 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Certainly they could, however drivers are the lynchpin of these devices. While most drivers could probably be ported forward to newer kernels, the video drivers are probably the most critical and will likely persist in having no MeeGo (Xorg) compatible versions available :/

Without those you can't truly take advantage of the device as you're spending so much time rendering your UI that you can't do much else, and have low limits on what exactly you can do with your UI at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
It's "official" but it voids the warranty. And it's not guaranteed in any event

"Your phone has to fulfill a number of requirements, for example, you can’t unlock the boot loader if you have a SIM lock protected phone. There are other requirements as well, depending on your market and the original configuration of your phone.

The only way to determine if you can unlock the boot loader for your phone is to connect your phone to the Fastboot tool in the Android™ SDK. If your phone can connect to Fastboot, the boot loader can be unlocked."

http://unlockbootloader.sonyericsson.com/which-phones

So apparently you have to buy an unlocked Xperia phone and THEN test it with SDK to see if the bootloader can be unlocked. People are not going to take that risk - they will want to know when they buy the phone. This is nice step to take but I don't see a heck of a lot of advantage over phones that can be unofficially jail broken.