Active Topics

For what it's worth, webOS is a lateral move when you're looking for a similiar experience on new hardware.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
The problem with android is that it does not use standard linux libraries (e.g. glibc) but uses its own custom libraries instead.

Basically, this means that porting linux applications is next to impossible - you'll have to rewrite from scratch (sucks).

Even their bluetooth stack is reta5rded. AFAIK: You have to download a third-party app to get decent bluetooth support (e.g. use a keyboard and mouse).

You can install chroot version of liniux onto android but does mean installing a custom kernel but I'm not sure how mature this is.

Meego & webOS are the last "full-features" mobile OS surviving today and are probalby our only hope of getting a full-function mobile device.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
I was actually also thinking of posting a new thread like this since i have been messing around with android lately.

Well i have never been so board in my life well aside from messing around with apple/mac (now an again since 90')

And when the H**L has it been a good yard stick of how good a platform/os is based on how many apps there is avaible????
There are over 250,000 apps in the andriod marked and it is just stupid, i spent about an hour looking for video players, it is just about 95% crap in there, and whats the point of that.

We might only have a few 1000 apps but they are generally good, an how needs apps when you have a real terminal.

+ this is the best forum i have ever been in, the level of good people here and of course the high level of nerdiness

You can't help and feel that you are part of something special when being part of the maemo community, and it is cool to have something that is basically rare (N900).

People that leave here in favor of iOS or Andriod i don't understand, maybe it is a low IQ thing or something, we know that iOS is built around being user friendly so even Ret**ds can use it.

But this hole experience have given be the thirst for more, what i want in the future is a 7" tablet running PURE ubuntu on an x86 based CPU, a 4.3-5" device like the N900, also with pure ubuntu and with these specs:
Display: AMORLED or Color I-INK with 1280x720
CPU: Dualcore + Graphics chip
Hardware keyboard (A MUST HAVE!!!!)
As good audio speaker system as the N900 or better
And of course a BIG battery (you know me )
I really like maemo it is really a good system, but i would only require a few "apps" like phone book, sms system, dialing pad etc... on ubuntu to make i work as a phone

The weird thing about my N900 is that it is really my "precious", i have things that are much more expensive but the 1 care is the N900.
A hammer could fly through my flat-screen and i would only duck and cover my N900 even if it was in the other end of the room

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
good thread!
when is saw the thread title, i thought it would be a rant in the opposite direction.

lol@dr_frost_dk

Last edited by nology; 2011-04-15 at 19:00.

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by kingoddball View Post
I hate the "word" APP! It's all I hear all day "what apps has the phone got". I installed this "app" on my computer (windows based).. hahahaha.
I hear you, but I don't mind it that much because that seperates two groups of software in most cases. Android/IOS, optional software on it is written for the a mobile phone, called an App. Maemo, programs written for linux tablet, or even taken directly from linux PC. (for example terminal, .deb, or simply compiled). This does not mean there are good apps out there I wish were available for N900, but by now you might get what I'm saying

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
i dont like iOS (specially iPad....just a gigantic iPod touch) in my case.

Android.....just okay....for phone use....

Maemo changed my whole life....i can even kill just by smashing my n900 on someone's head! (kidding) but yeah.....maemo rules for me....with the freakin' multiboot, easy debian, ported games, partitioning memory to the sizes that fits you, overclocking that maybe capable of frying eggs and everything else is awesome!!!

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Just imagine a "phone" with, for example, "Samsung galaxy s II" 's hardware (plus keyboard) and Maemo. It would be the best phone in the world! No one could compete with it.

Nokia could have supported Maemo and its community. Most of N900's buyers are people (geeks) who love computers, programming, Linux... and would have helped Nokia to develop the best mobile OS.

I thought my next phone would have Android but I installed Nitdroid yesterday (good job, Nitdroid's team!) and well... it's fine but something is missing: the power and freedom of Maemo.

If Nokia had sold more phones with Maemo many developers would have supported it by creating good (and bad) applications, so us, the geeks, would be happy because Maemo would be still alive and "normal users" would be happy too because they would have thousands of apps. (I'm Spanish, and when reading the last sentence, with so many "would" I think it's not well written. I hope you can understand).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to isorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Some people here are just... ignorant.

Don't get me wrong, I love Maemo and I really hope Meego will take off with or without Nokia.
But right now Maemo / Meego are years behind Android.
If you don't want to hear the truth, I will just shut up.

But I still have hopes for the future of Meego.

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by H3llb0und View Post
Some people here are just... ignorant.

Don't get me wrong, I love Maemo and I really hope Meego will take off with or without Nokia.
But right now Maemo / Meego are years behind Android.
If you don't want to hear the truth, I will just shut up.

But I still have hopes for the future of Meego.
But this very thread rose from the premise that someone had used Android but didn't like it and felt Maemo is still better for him.

So its really a case of (informed) opinion, isnt it? I dont mean that this would mean that youre wrong, but it doesnt mean anyone writting n this thread is wrong either in liking Maemo over Android.

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

Last edited by cjp; 2011-04-16 at 12:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to cjp For This Useful Post:

Tags
blow me, ios sucks!, maemo dominates, prada sox, truth