The following excerpt is exactly my sentiments as to Nokia's huge fumble with the IT's and Maemo:

"The mass market doesn’t buy, and doesn’t want to buy, products based on what they might become months from now if these companies somehow dramatically improve the software. They buy products for what they are today, out of the box. Motorola and RIM and Samsung are Apple’s industry peers. These are the big leagues, this is The Show. They’re charging customers real money to buy these things. They should be judged by the same standards. "

http://daringfireball.net/linked/201...-beta-hardware

Exactly. How often on here do we and did we hear about what WOULD be done and what WOULD be added that never actually happened? What about the stuff that WAS released only to be "unplugged" later?
Boot from MMC
Gpodder Cache on MMC
MTube Cache on MMC
Mugen 1800mAh Battery
Addesso USB rollup keyboard
Solio Solar Charger
Holux GPSlim GPS

N810
community SSU
Turbo Diablo
8GB external
Boot from Internal SD
Still no GPS Fix.

N900
Stock
32GB
Many Solar Chargers (Saved bacon during Sandy!)
Inland ProHT BT keyboard
What's this? A GPS Fix? Wowwwwwww

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
There must have been a silent war up there in Nokia HQs in the last few years. The model we like, those with open source, hackable software with countless possibilities has been killed, and not because it didn't and couldn't deliver.
In my humble opinion there must have been a lot of ideology in the assassination of maemo. A lot of ideology, almost religion. But then maybe I'm paranoid, who knows.
And must have started way before the N900 was delivered in the market, i.e. before Jan 2010.
This left the device in an unfinished state, as we all know.
No Ovi maps, no voice dialing, no mms, no 3g videocall, say what other was lacking.
It was a war specifically against the maemo branch - these things are legacy of symbian and it seems that - at least maps - are going into wp7 nokia new devices. Maemo was ignored.
I think that Nokia didn't lack developers to do these things. But - patently - they didn't want to.

This is the reason I think the assassination of maemo was planned before, at a very high level in the company. People like Ari could give some light on this, maybe within some years from now. I hope they'll do, I want to understand.

Last edited by debernardis; 2011-04-22 at 05:17.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
OMG. Shut down everything!

imo all this is pretty obvious.

Last edited by slender; 2011-04-22 at 05:18.

well n900 thanks to its conmunity (not nokia) its amazing.
only thing stopping it its closed parts.

i bought it with the premise of a potrait maemo with phone, things i read in a few post n engagdget few mobile sites.
sadly didnt turn true, by nokia hands, but its almost a reality thanks for the conmunity.

its sad maemo have alot potential. its faster than android, have better multitasking. it got a fulll kernel, QT integration.

the only thing maemo probably couldn't support was a market where developers could sell their apps.
it was never going to lack apps, but commercial apps would probably wouldn't want to compete open source alt.