Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

They are shipping mine back unrepaired. What should I do?
I was trying to talk with the representative I talked last time, but it was too late.
What should i do?

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Finland
Thus far the only two problems my device has are one white spot in the middle of display (only on white background, a common issue it seems) and that the USB port swivels a little. It's relatively tight when I plug it in, but then the connector (and propably the port as well) swings back and forth a little bit, or looking at the device from the front, it goes up and down. Am I in the risk group? :E

I've been wondering whether I should send it for repairs now or later, as it is under warranty well into 2012. I'm sort of afraid of them running out of spare parts or something if I wait too long...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by bb2_n900 View Post
They are shipping mine back unrepaired. What should I do?
I was trying to talk with the representative I talked last time, but it was too late.
What should i do?
I hate to sound like a broken record, but your options are to continue fighting as long as you are under warranty (using ammo from this long thread), get a third party to repair it, try to fix yourself (not at all easy) or give up.

I would keep fighting...

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
I got mine off two days ago, gonna order connector and reattach it, the question is how do i protect myself from this happening second time? is there a way to re-solder it and secure the connection of usb connector?
I have grinded those two "studs" away from all the micro-usb connectors that I'm using with my phone. They still work as they are expected and direct less force to the connector when attached or removed.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by Aonsaithya View Post
Thus far the only two problems my device has are one white spot in the middle of display (only on white background, a common issue it seems) and that the USB port swivels a little. It's relatively tight when I plug it in, but then the connector (and propably the port as well) swings back and forth a little bit, or looking at the device from the front, it goes up and down. Am I in the risk group? :E

I've been wondering whether I should send it for repairs now or later, as it is under warranty well into 2012. I'm sort of afraid of them running out of spare parts or something if I wait too long...
It sounds pretty dodgy. I hope you're backing up your data on a nightly basis.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
It sounds pretty dodgy. I hope you're backing up your data on a nightly basis.
Nowhere near nightly, but I do use backupmenu and I do all file transfers through SSH. Thus far I've never had any issues with charging or USB connection, but I suppose then I'll make one final backup of the N900 and brush the dust off my E51 :/

Hi there I'm not sure if I should post this here or start a new thread, please tell me if I should.

Anyway my nokia N900 has its USB port broken from its place last night. I was charging it and it almost fell down the bed (the instinctive reaction was for me to grab the charger's cable and bam usb came loose).

I am going to send my phone to the Nokia Care Centre, but I have a few questions that I am unsure of.

Would this be covered by warranty? I have heard that Nokia has acknowledge this as a design fault on their PCB or something. It would be nice to have a link to the official statement if I need to show this to the Nokia Care Centre.

Also if I go to a Nokia Care Centre, would they replace the faulty USB? As in would the solder a new one? or Would they replace the entire N900 to a newer set?

Has anyone had experience dealing with Nokia Care Centre with regards to this fault? I would really appreciate it.

Warranty covers it.

And what breaked it for me was that goddamn nokia usb cable.

The Following User Says Thank You to luomuhappo For This Useful Post:
Thanx for the quick reply

Did you get a new N900 set or did they replace the PCB/USB on your current phone?

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by mdziaf View Post
Also if I go to a Nokia Care Centre, would they replace the faulty USB? As in would the solder a new one? or Would they replace the entire N900 to a newer set?
If the port has come out completely it is likely they'll at least replace the motherboard, maybe give you a complete replacement. If it is still in but loose, they will probably solder it back.

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty