Active Topics

Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
I am afraid I could not help you with making your android poping up things on which you could click to male everything to work.
egg-zaktly ! :-)

However, if you are willingly to go for the solutions other than popup and click, you would like to look for bnep.ko and pand for froyo. The instructions to build bluetooth PAN are somewhere near to where you found the above binaries. Goood luck.
Ooooh, a riddle, I love riddles ! :-)
Of course I'm willing, first thing I did on that Tab was to install a sorry excuse for an xterm... and learn to use adb. I'll follow up on your clues and see where that takes me, thanks !

Originally Posted by jschan View Post
next time i have a chance to stop somewhere with a galaxy tab, i can try pairing and see if it works.
Thanks in advance, but I'm afraid it's almost certain to not work... :-)

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
I now have a feeling that gerbick's beef (although he didn't word it as such) might be that he found my topic title too broad, and thus error-inducing
I suppose if you wanted to you could edit the title or, failing that, the original post and add some clarity.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I now have a feeling that gerbick's beef (although he didn't word it as such) might be that he found my topic title too broad, and thus error-inducing : Android *does* tether, if the device vendor doesn't cripple it... But as it was my very first experience with the system, I didn't know any better. Perhaps I should change that.
There was no beef, promise. And I appreciate you stating it in a way where it was entirely open-ended as to my intent; however as it stands you're 100% correct.

Android does indeed tether; however I was quite unaware about the Samsung stack being crippled. I had used a different ROM for my Captivate, the AT&T variant of the Galaxy S and can't say that I ran into this issue. My time with the Galaxy Tab in the office was limited, so I hadn't run into your situation there either.

I now have a Xoom, an Atrix and no probs other than a friggin' encrypted bootloader.

Thanks in advance, but I'm afraid it's almost certain to not work... :-)
Yeah, the tethering option didn't come up. I didn't play with it very long though. Definitely works with Honeycomb--I tried a couple of android 3.0 tablets.

There, fixed it :-)
Thanks to all...

Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
However, if you are willingly to go for the solutions other than popup and click, you would like to look for bnep.ko and pand for froyo. The instructions to build bluetooth PAN are somewhere near to where you found the above binaries. Goood luck.
9K, your riddle is a really elusive one :-)

Googling for "bnep.ko pand froyo" brings up only two pages of links, quite a few of them pointing to this very thread :-)

Others are about the same question I'm after, but are mostly pleas (duplicated on several boards) for someone to compile the above binaries, with no answers.

The rest seem irrelevant. I don't see any available bnep.ko and pand for Froyo, or building instructions.

Am I missing something, or looking in the wrong places ?...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Lessen your search by looking for "adb bnep.ko" - I've used adb push bnep.ko before to avoid some limitation when I was changing kernels before. Same for a few other drivers - mostly wi-fi with the Xoom.

Good luck with your search. Not sure if he's talking full recompile or just a simple adb push to replace your bluetooth stack.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Lessen your search by looking for "adb bnep.ko" - I've used adb push bnep.ko before to avoid some limitation when I was changing kernels before. Same for a few other drivers - mostly wi-fi with the Xoom.
Thanks for the hint, it does get more hits, but also a lot of duplicates, and not much more...

Good luck with your search. Not sure if he's talking full recompile or just a simple adb push to replace your bluetooth stack.
Well, if it's the latter, I certainly don't see how. The only really relevant post, replicated on a dozen different sites, is by this "Disconnect" or "Disconn3ct" character :
http://www.gotontheinter.net/content...kernel-modules
But the files aren't available any more, and they're probably outdated anyway as the post is from 2008.

And if it's the former, I'm certainly not going to all that trouble, even if I had the know-how :-)

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
9K, your riddle is a really elusive one :-)

Googling for "bnep.ko pand froyo" brings up only two pages of links, quite a few of them pointing to this very thread :-)

Others are about the same question I'm after, but are mostly pleas (duplicated on several boards) for someone to compile the above binaries, with no answers.

The rest seem irrelevant. I don't see any available bnep.ko and pand for Froyo, or building instructions.

Am I missing something, or looking in the wrong places ?...

Hi there. I didn't mean to give you riddle that would eventually waste your time. I only gave you the direction as that method requires you to spend considerable amount of time to research, especially on the rooting and kernel part. If you're not going for this direction, probably you don't need it. That was what I thought when giving you instructions so brief.

Besides, there is in fact a pretty good paid-app PDANet that could make your Android a decent tethering hub without rooting it. You'd like to get a trial version to test. Hope this helps.

Tags
hacking, scamdroid, tethering