Originally Posted by mrbrt View Post
If you guys are going to try soldering, I'd really recommend using Kapton tape. It's a high temperature resistant tape that can prevent you from damaging any of the adjacent components inadvertently. Btw, an SMD soldering guide with Kapton tape: http://ultrakeet.com.au/index.php?id...=kaptonMasking

Have you guys had any luck with using the tabs? If you are going to try and flash it using the extra pads, make sure you connect the GND (ground) pads as well. The VCC (5v) might be optional, but I'd rig everything in properly.
You just reminded me. Used to use that stuff too when repairing broken tracks and worn contact pads in quartz watches.

Like the humor that's been interjected into that guide though.

First, excuse me if this is considered crossposting.
Though, I discovered that you can use the pads beneath the battery to actually gain access to the USB and charge your device.
I describe this in more detail here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...818#post997818

I just mention it here as it may be of interest for you as well.
I didn't post it here as this thread is about fixing/re-attaching the existing USB to the mainboard instead of using an alternative method.
So imho all stuff about creating an alternative way for charging or getting access to the USB should go into the other thread linked above.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 232 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Austria, Amstetten
are there fuses for the 5v wire?? i tried to fix my n900 by myself an had everything soldered together but usb was not regognised.... BUT

when i use a cutoff usb cable and short the Data wires it boots when i put in a battery ... that means the data pins are correct soldered ...

but i have connection with gnd and +5v (from cut off usb cable to testpoints on the pcb) too.

that means:

the usb is soldered it correctly.

data wires are regognised

issue could be an fuse...

i never saw an fused gnd

so it must be a fuse somewhere on +5v...
or an broken USB cotroller.

someone know where the fuses are??
how can i test the usb controller??

19 Lockerz.com Invites Left -- PM me if you need one...

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7...enixsiggi1.gif @ mods plz allow me that pic....

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Stuttgart/Germany
Originally Posted by ~phoenix~ View Post
are there fuses for the 5v wire??
so it must be a fuse somewhere on +5v...
or an broken USB cotroller.

someone know where the fuses are??

how can i test the usb controller??
there is a fuse on USB VBus 5V, directly after the microUSB socket. That part is called "F5300". You'll find it in the "N900 RX-51 Full Schematics", page "GAIA_05" and "Rover_Component_Finder" pdf.

I also want to test USB connectivity, I think also USB power is required. As I mentioned before I couldn't get an USB connection with just the two data pads.

A fuse can be shorted, when you know what you do after that! I broke a fuse in my old N810, when I inverted 5V and GND accidently..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lazart For This Useful Post:
The pictures from http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=12 that a lot of people seem to refer to are no longer available. If primo still watches the thread, could you put them back up or has anyone else similar pictures?

Thanks

Sorry. I did a cleanup on the server and noticed that I removed too much. Pictures came back

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mipo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
oMFG my usb broke again F***********

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
oMFG my usb broke again F***********
Just wondering, did you file down the microUSB connectors on your data cable and charger?

PS: I'm a fellow Hamiltonian BTW! I'm travelling in Asia for the next few months.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by Xagoln View Post
Just wondering, did you file down the microUSB connectors on your data cable and charger?

PS: I'm a fellow Hamiltonian BTW! I'm travelling in Asia for the next few months.
I tried to soldering it back on but my soldering is too big to fit in the small space. I can only mount the ground.I'm guessing sending it again for repair.

Fuc* put it back in and my screen gone funny turned it off and turned it back on it back to normal again.. Pewff

Last edited by maxximuscool; 2011-05-19 at 03:05.

Good news guys. I have successfully reattached the MicroUBS back onto N900 board with a soldering iron.

It's charging and accepting data transfer.
Cost $59.95 for a soldering iron and hours of works. lol.
Photos are up soon.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post: