Active Topics

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
I've been looking for something to do with my girlfriend and her nieces this coming weekend when we're up in Lake Tahoe and - it just struck me that it might be a great idea to try out geocaching.

The girls are 8 and 9 years old and are pretty much constantly tethered to their DSi's and surprisingly tech-savvy (they figured out how to work my N810 the other weekend without me even telling them how...) so this might be something that will combine a bit of gadgetry, outdoors fun and a sense of adventure

I've read a bit about the application GPXView and that looks very tempting. I love the idea of having a directory of caches with directions/photos and hints. Wonderful!

Thing is, I've never used my N810 for anything GPS-related apart from turning it on and looking for it searching for a location fix

What do I need to start?

My assumption is:

1) I need to have Maemo Mapper installed and the maps for the area downloaded.
Q: Where do I get maps that are of a level of detail that is suitable for geocaching?

2) I need to get something called .gpx maps.
Q: Do I view those maps through the Maemo Mapper application?

3) I'm a little bit worried about the reliability of the GPS in the N810. I will obviously not drag the girls deep into the woods requiring a GPS to find my way out...I'm mostly thinking about disappointment in them if it fails us.

Anyway, any step-by-step for kick-starting my geocaching would be greatly appreciated as I'm hoping to do a trial-run on my own tomorrow afternoon if I can get all the necessary pieces together.

Thanks in advance.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
GPXView will load the .gpx or .loc files for GeoCaching. I haven't used it (yet) for geocaching, but I entered in some coordinates and used the compass to navigate while driving.

A good combination would be Maemo Mapper to get a visual representation of where you need to go (with street view, satellite and topography maps if they are all still working) and GPX view for a more traditional geocaching experience.

One catch to get the compass to work correctly is you need to be moving so the GPS can tell which direction your heading in order to calculate which way you need to go. I think there is an option to lock the compass.

If you sign up to geocaching.com you can search and download geocaches in .loc format (.gpx with a subscription). These can then be imported to gpxview. There is an option to check all and download at the bottom of the page after you do a search.

As for the reliability of the GPS, if your really worried, you can get an external bluetooth, but I've never really had any problems with the GPS. Once you get a fix, it holds that fix pretty well. Unless you go somewhere that messes up the signal (blocked or reflected GPS signals) that you should be fine. The only place I've encountered unreliable GPS data is when driving in downtown areas of big cities.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson L. Squeeko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by Nelson L. Squeeko View Post
GPXView will load the .gpx or .loc files for GeoCaching. I haven't used it (yet) for geocaching, but I entered in some coordinates and used the compass to navigate while driving.

A good combination would be Maemo Mapper to get a visual representation of where you need to go (with street view, satellite and topography maps if they are all still working) and GPX view for a more traditional geocaching experience.

One catch to get the compass to work correctly is you need to be moving so the GPS can tell which direction your heading in order to calculate which way you need to go. I think there is an option to lock the compass.

If you sign up to geocaching.com you can search and download geocaches in .loc format (.gpx with a subscription). These can then be imported to gpxview. There is an option to check all and download at the bottom of the page after you do a search.

As for the reliability of the GPS, if your really worried, you can get an external bluetooth, but I've never really had any problems with the GPS. Once you get a fix, it holds that fix pretty well. Unless you go somewhere that messes up the signal (blocked or reflected GPS signals) that you should be fine. The only place I've encountered unreliable GPS data is when driving in downtown areas of big cities.
Thanks, this will be my project for tonight.
Too bad that the gpx maps requires a subscription. I'd be a very infrequent user until I've figured out if I, or the nieces, like this.

Thanks again..and to the download page I go
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I just started doing geocaching maybe a week and a half ago. I thought it would be fun for the family... but I'm not too sure. My kid just got bored of the looking around... frustrated when we couldn't find a few caches because the N810 GPS isn't as good as I would like. It's great until you get under about 10-20m away and then it's anyone's guess.

My wife has really taken to it... and I'm enjoying it. If you're going with your family, I suggest a self-imposed time limit on each cache to avoid the kids getting frustrated... and perhaps a more accurate external GPS unit.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I just started doing geocaching maybe a week and a half ago. I thought it would be fun for the family... but I'm not too sure. My kid just got bored of the looking around... frustrated when we couldn't find a few caches because the N810 GPS isn't as good as I would like. It's great until you get under about 10-20m away and then it's anyone's guess.

My wife has really taken to it... and I'm enjoying it. If you're going with your family, I suggest a self-imposed time limit on each cache to avoid the kids getting frustrated... and perhaps a more accurate external GPS unit.
Thanks, I'm going to try it out - assuming I can get all the things I need installed tonight. There seems to be about 10 caches just w/in 10 miles of where I am so should be easy enough to try it out tomorrow...

G'day silvermountain,

I've been using a N810 for geocaching for about a year now; once you get yourself set up, it's a great tool for the job. Just don't drop it in a puddle!

To answer your questions:
- I use Google's maps. Before I go out, I fire up Maemo Mapper and just drag the screen over the area I want to visit; the maps get downloaded over my home WiFi link, and saved onto the MicroSD card in the N810. When I'm out, I can start up Maemo Mapper and all the maps are there. As you probably know, Google Maps come in a variety of resolutions, and you only want to download maps in 1 or 2 resolutions or you'll fill up your MicroSD card. Here in Australia, I'm using the "zoom=6" and "zoom=8" maps; one gets me to the general area, and the other lets me zoom in to get a greater level of detail. However, we're generally out caching in the bush here, where there may be only 1 road stretching for 30 miles between caches; it's probably different where you are, so you really need to use trial and error to see what works for you
- I download .gpx files from the geocaching.com site. To view them in Maemo Mapper, you need to first filter out all of the log entries in the .gpx file; if you don't do this, they won't load properly. Once you've done this, I start Maemo Mapper, and load in the .gpx file as a POI (Points Of Interest) file - the cache locations then show up as purple dots in Maemo Mapper
- I've found the N810's GPS to be extremely reliable (in fact, it does a better job than one of our dedicated Garmin units), but the battery life isn't great. I think I probably get about 4-5 hours before the batteries go flat, so I've got a Nokia charger set up in the car. When we finish a cache, I get into the car, hook the N810 to the charger, then go on to the next cache

To filter the log entries out of the .gpx file, I wrote a Ruby program which can run on either the N810 or on a PC. I had to download Ruby onto the N810 to get it to work, which was a bit painful; however, it can be done if you can find the Ruby installer for the N810 (sorry, I don't have the URL). If you want a copy of this program, let me know - it's pretty clunky, but works reliably and can strip the log entries from a .gpx file containing hundreds of cache entries within a few minutes. If you want to go out tomorrow, I'd suggest downloading a .gpx file for just a few caches, then deleting the <log> entries using something like Notepad. It's a bit trial and error, but you'll know you've got it working when you can load and see the caches within Maemo Mapper.

Finally, my boys are 11 and 12, and geocaching is one of the few remaining activities that we all enjoy doing as a family. My older boy would otherwise be out kicking a ball around, and my younger boy would play with his DS or be on the Internet - geocaching is one of the activities that just seems to work for all of us, all the time. Good luck, and I hope you have as much fun with it as we do.

If you want to communicate with me on geocaching.com about any of this, our caching name is "monch's mob".

Regards

David aka monch1962

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to monch1962 For This Useful Post:
The main thing i do with both my n800 and my n810 is geocaching. These 2 devices have lead me to over 500 find in 5 states. For a first timer i would suggest going for ones that are 1/1 or maybe 2/2 max (terrain rating / hide difficluty). And if you are going to bring kids try to do some of the larger caches because kids love the idea of trade items (where you trade something you have for something in the cache).

Now to your Questions.

I use anywhere from level 9 to about level 5-6 to drive around looking for caches. Level 9 is for when you are driving around on highways and Intersates. The lower the level the slower you need to be driving to prevent overshooting.

For your first time having GPX files would be great but don't go off and pay 30 bucks for one weekend. If you and/or your family becomes addicted the 30 buck is worth the money just because of the time it saves you. If you PM me with the zip code of where you are staying i will happily make you a GPX file for your trip.

The GPS on my N810 built in gps is good enough for your first shot at The Game. Watch out of heave tree cover and tall pine tree because they will kill your gps signal. I like using the bluetooth puck that came with the navacore system to prevent power drain from the N810. If your n810 starts saying low battery turn around ,walk out and charge it (its not worth getting stuck somewhere). the N810 does not have the longlife that the n800 has on low power.

Step by Step.
1. install GPXview and Maemo Mapper
2. download caches in ether GPX or LOC format to your N810. (GPX is better because it has all the info in it from the cache page.) Make sure it is in an easy to find to folder.
3. Lanch GPXview
4. Add you downloaded files to GPXview by
- menu
- import
- File/folder (File for something like a Pocket que (GPX) with 500 caches and folder if you have a lot of individual LOC/GPX files)
- Select what file/folder to import and wait
5. Select and open file/folder
6. Export to maemo mapper
- menu
- export
- Meamo Mapper POI
7. Find and select the nearest small, full sized or large cache (best size for first timers) with a max of a 2/2 rating. Use the Maemo mapper symbol in the Goto tab of GPXview to center maemo mapper on that cache.
8. Switch to Maemo Mapper to drive to withing a reasonable walking distance of a cache (no more then 100-200 yards with small kids). Use the compass in the goto TAB of GPXview to get from your parking spot to the cache. If you are looking for a larger cache, like an ammo can, you should see it or its hiding spot from about 10-50 feet.

Things to remember while Geocaching.
1. start slow. This is going to take some time to get good at it.
2. Keep safe. No cache is worth an injury (Not even a First To Find)
3. Have Fun. This is just a game. The fun is in seeing out of the way places and things while hunting small treasure chests full of cheap toys.
4. Protect the cache. Don't cause someone that does not know about geocaching to find the hide. Most of the low rating ones will not require spy like stealth.

Have fun on your first GPS vacation. May all your adventure be grand and full of fun and treasures.

If you need more help massage me here or 'bigscot' on geocaching.com

Last edited by new004lagmaster; 2009-07-01 at 08:34.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to new004lagmaster For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by monch1962 View Post

- I download .gpx files from the geocaching.com site. To view them in Maemo Mapper, you need to first filter out all of the log entries in the .gpx file; if you don't do this, they won't load properly. Once you've done this, I start Maemo Mapper, and load in the .gpx file as a POI (Points Of Interest) file - the cache locations then show up as purple dots in Maemo Mapper
If you use GPXview to export the GPX to Maemo Mapper there will be no need to go and strip the logs out. And as an added bonus the cache type is the POI marker.

Monch1962 is right on with the power limitations. The more you can charge it on the road the better off you will be.

ALSO do not be discouraged by DNFs (did not find), they happen to the best of us and will happen to you.

The Following User Says Thank You to new004lagmaster For This Useful Post:
- I use Google's maps. Before I go out, I fire up Maemo Mapper and just drag the screen over the area I want to visit; the maps get downloaded over my home WiFi link, and saved onto the MicroSD card in the N810. When I'm out, I can start up Maemo Mapper and all the maps are there. As you probably know, Google Maps come in a variety of resolutions, and you only want to download maps in 1 or 2 resolutions or you'll fill up your MicroSD card. Here in Australia, I'm using the "zoom=6" and "zoom=8" maps; one gets me to the general area, and the other lets me zoom in to get a greater level of detail. However, we're generally out caching in the bush here, where there may be only 1 road stretching for 30 miles between caches; it's probably different where you are, so you really need to use trial and error to see what works for you
Thanks for the reply!
My N810 is actually 'dead' right now, it ran out of juice and it's almost 2am here so I'll charge it up as I go to sleep.

Trying to download a map at say, level 12, results in an error saying 'Failed downloading 12 maps'. I keep getting that error message when trying to download maps.
Seems to happen mostly with Google maps...but not consistently...weird.... Oh well, I got SOME maps down.

EDIT: I just was able to download a lvl 8 Yahoo Satellite map. Looks good but will absolutely need something..closer to the ground..

Yes, I can see how I would benefit from a more detailed map but it also appears that any map at zoom level 5 or more granular will be enormous!

Thanks, great heads-up. I'll see if I can figure out what the log entries are and delete them in some text editor on the N810.

- I've found the N810's GPS to be extremely reliable (in fact, it does a better job than one of our dedicated Garmin units), but the battery life isn't great. I think I probably get about 4-5 hours before the batteries go flat, so I've got a Nokia charger set up in the car. When we finish a cache, I get into the car, hook the N810 to the charger, then go on to the next cache
Great to hear it's reliable - I'm just having a heck of a time getting a fix/lock. Then suddenly it happens..maybe 10-15 mins later. I'm hoping I'll have a better luck tomorrow when I'm outdoors with it.

Finally, I wish geocaching.com would allow new members to download 1 or 2 gpx maps for free to get a feel for how it works following the directions.

Thanks again!

Last edited by silvermountain; 2009-07-01 at 09:50.

Originally Posted by new004lagmaster View Post
If you use GPXview to export the GPX to Maemo Mapper there will be no need to go and strip the logs out. And as an added bonus the cache type is the POI marker.
Nice, thanks!