Active Topics

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Themes are effectively applications, so should be in downloads.maemo.org, as could userstyles (and, if desired, backgrounds or - more likely - collections thereof).
User stylesheets I disagree with, in general; while Brontide has a nice modular approach, you only have in general one userContent.css. Brontide's userContent.css includes other files that do all the styling, so it becomes plausible (given that approach) to do it.

It requires, however, some such well-known package containing a core userContent.css or script to generate one before you can reasonably install various stylesheets. Unless you've got that, they're just so many recipes you can borrow from to build your own monolithic userContent.css; while not impossible, putting them in maemo.org/downloads seems bad to me.

Last edited by Benson; 2008-05-21 at 18:53. Reason: Confused about who did the css stuff.

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
The whole point should be that maemo.org doesn't have a place for things like themes and NumptyPhysics levels levels so why not make a place for them here. Also if people are coming here for them wouldn't it make since to make this a one stop shop for the programs that use those and any other programs. We can't make maemo.org add a ton of new features, but reggie can add any features like that over here if he likes.

@Texrat I don't disagree with you a Maemo App is something written for Maemo OS.

As a side not if I wrote a new in Flash the I planed to release to Maemo would that not be considered a Maemo App? I mean I can take a Python program and get it to work on other OSes, but that isn't what this discusstion is about.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
The whole point should be that maemo.org doesn't have a place for things like themes and NumptyPhysics levels levels so why not make a place for them here.
If that WAS the whole point then I doubt there would much (if any) argument.

As a side not if I wrote a new in Flash the I planed to release to Maemo would that not be considered a Maemo App?.
I would say no, and so would maemo folks.

The whole point should be that maemo.org doesn't have a place for things like themes and NumptyPhysics levels levels so why not make a place for them here. Also if people are coming here for them wouldn't it make since to make this a one stop shop for the programs that use those and any other programs. We can't make maemo.org add a ton of new features, but reggie can add any features like that over here if he likes.
We can request that they be added to maemo.org, though, and even if they're not, syndication could make ITTSS a "one-stop shop" without fragmenting the developers.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gnuite For This Useful Post:
I think I have decided the best thing for me to do is to shut up on this thread it seems that no matter what I say on this topic I wrong. So no need for me to say anymore we will just have to keep digging through forum post for anything that maemo.org doesn't have on there site it looks like.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I think I have decided the best thing for me to do is to shut up on this thread it seems that no matter what I say on this topic I wrong. So no need for me to say anymore we will just have to keep digging through forum post for anything that maemo.org doesn't have on there site it looks like.
Andrew, a defeatist response is surely no solution. If nothing else, your challenges make people refine their argument.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Originally Posted by pipeline View Post
Additionally (and probably unpopularly) i think relying -solely- on repos hurts tablets. I think whenever possible, tablet developers should make some attempt to release a version which statically links any necessary libraries so that there is no dependency hell.
Not unpopular with me. Almost like a lot of the software doesn't want to be installed. I am sure there are many people that just completely give up trying to get somethings installed.

Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
We can request that they be added to maemo.org, though, and even if they're not, syndication could make ITTSS a "one-stop shop" without fragmenting the developers.
What i consider syndication is we have the exact same thing that Maemo.org has. If I am wrong then let me know. So in that case ITTSS would not be a one stop shop. Also even if reggie was to syndicate the stuff from maemo.org it would take weeks to work it out since for one they two sites use differant programs. So wouldn't it make since to go ahead and post the programs here until some thing like that could be worked out. If there was a way to post something on maemo.org and have it show up here, and have the ability to list stuff here that isn't on maemo.org that would be a good idea. I'm sure it can be done but it would take time to work out.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Andrew, a defeatist response is surely no solution. If nothing else, your challenges make people refine their argument.
Well I feel that I have been personally attacked by atleast one person in this thread. BTW its not you. I guess I should just get over it and try to help work something out.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
I'm confused:

How can itTSS syndicate "developing" themes and NumptyPhysics levels, if they are not on maemo.org in the first place?