Active Topics

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by bocaJ View Post
Sorry if there was some confussion, I didn't mean to imply that dormat was trying to rip people off, only saying that I'm not privy to people's thoughts.

Regarding whether the sale need be upheld, I think this is an issue of contract law. The relevant rule is that mistake is a defense to contract, but bad bargaining is not: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistake_(contract_law). Expansys made a guess about what price they could get N900's at and they also insured 99% of their contracts with language that said "we reserve the right to change the price before we charge you." Dormant was the other 1% not covered by that rule since they forced him to pay early. Now Dormant gets to take advantage of his business savvy, it's no more dishonest than someone who sold oil futures at $150/barrel shortly before prices plumetted to $38.

From Dormant's description, both parties had to jump through several hoops to make this transaction, a reasonably prudent person would conclude that a mistake should have been caught somewhere along the way.

Dormant is on the right side of this thing ethically and legally.
absolutely agree. And to add to that..there is a difference (morally and legally) between "theft by deception" and simply profiting from someone else's poor business sense/execution. Dormant's case is the latter from what I can see. An example of the former (and one for which Hogwash would be rightfully indignant towards) would be switching labels on an item and then demanding the price rung up due to the switch be honored. While one could justifiably hold the vendor harmless for an honest mistake in pricing and say it was, at the very least, unethical to pursue the completion of the transaction....decades of abusive companies who operated via bait-and-switch tactics and outright false advertising have created both a legal and ethical framework that favors the consumer in the U.S. The onus is on the company, in most cases, to provide correct pricing information in both advertising and at the time of sale lest they open themselves up to the legal scrutiny of consumer protection laws. They know that, we know that...since everybody knows the rules ahead of time there is no shame/immorality in playing by them.

The final nail in the coffin is, of course, when Expansys actually accepted payment for the item at the agreed upon price. Game, Set, Match.

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Can we get the thread back on track? This BS is Childish.
Agreed.

Did your N900 ship today?

Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
Agreed.

Did your N900 ship today?
Mine didn't...not even a CC authorization yet (amazon pre-order)

Sadly no, but I know it's coming, and that's the only thing I look forward to!

I finally preorder on amazon yesterday. Anyone one if I can buy extended warranty when I recieve my phone or I have to get with the phone at the time of my pre order?

Originally Posted by Romeo0119 View Post
I finally preorder on amazon yesterday. Anyone one if I can buy extended warranty when I recieve my phone or I have to get with the phone at the time of my pre order?
That's a good question, I want to know this also

It is kind of a waste of a thread to have a bunch of no's. It would have been more helpful if responses were in this kind of format:

Retailer purchased from
Date purchased
Payment method
Have they charged?
Extra payment steps?
Purchase, payment, or shipment issues?

Delivery option and courier
Date of shipment
Expected time of delivery
Destination (i.e. state)
Actual delivery date

And then people can edit their post whenever there is an update to their order.

This was really helpful during the N97 release when BrightPoint botched a lot of NokiaUSA pre-orders (they were systematically canceled) in which case I had the opportunity (I only say opportunity because a discount came out around the same time my order was cancelled) and I got to re-order. But I would not have known which number to call or that they systematically cancelled the pre-orders had it not been for a thread with this kind of information.

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by Romeo0119 View Post
I got my extended warranty for my N810 after I received it, from http://www.squaretrade.com... it was like $30 on a $220 item for 3 years with accidental damage included.

NOTE: I haven't actually had to cash it in, but they're pretty reputable from what I understand.

Originally Posted by remister View Post
That's a good question, I want to know this also
As far as I knew, Nokia Care is only offered by Nokia themselves. I am guessing you would have to find some sort of equivalent extended warranty plan that is offered by say Amazon or wherever you decide to purchase. But you can be sure you get an extra year warranty by using a credit card that has that extra benefit like American Express. My buddies bank credit card extends warranties on purchases by 2 years. So jealous..

Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
I got my extended warranty for my N810 after I received it, from http://www.squaretrade.com... it was like $30 on a $220 item for 3 years with accidental damage included.

NOTE: I haven't actually had to cash it in, but they're pretty reputable from what I understand.
Hmmm I might do that, how long do you have once you get your phone to buy it? I wonder if asuriance from tmobile would cover this phone, I already have them, and they cover some of the unlock phones from nokia like the N95 and E90 even though they are not tmobile phone.

Closed Thread

Tags
boost karma here!, collective psychosis, drillee machine, elvis has an n900, fictional hardware, fixed in harmattan, funny tag competition, gimmie-gimmie-gimmie!!!, godot, haiku, is it here yet???, just around the corner, n900 & prejudice, n900 holy war, n900 shipping, no!, peter is so hot, poetry, private investigator, spy satellite, time killer, tweets showcase, urge to kill rising