Active Topics

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Spain
Originally Posted by cb474 View Post
I think the sort of more advanced users who are attracted to this sort of device, will have higher expectations and if they feel simply abandoned by Nokia that will not be a good fist step with Maemo. Nokia needs to please the early adopters, to help generate interest and buzz about Maemo.
Agreed

I think Maemo may suffer from taking this step when Android is already strong. Nokia should realise that and make an extra effort to please the community and attract developers. Lots of people from the Linux community are waiting anxiously for the N900 to be released, but if it turns out to be just a "prototype" for whatīs to come when Maemo6 is released, I think early adopters will turn their backs on Nokia forever.

I hope they are smart enough to provide enough continuity to N900 users... After all, we are talking about a very expensive gadget, one you donīt want to through away after 1 year!

The Following User Says Thank You to GodLikeCreature For This Useful Post:
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by GodLikeCreature View Post
Agreed

I think Maemo may suffer from taking this step when Android is already strong. Nokia should realise that and make an extra effort to please the community and attract developers. Lots of people from the Linux community are waiting anxiously for the N900 to be released, but if it turns out to be just a "prototype" for whatīs to come when Maemo6 is released, I think early adopters will turn their backs on Nokia forever.

I hope they are smart enough to provide enough continuity to N900 users... After all, we are talking about a very expensive gadget, one you donīt want to through away after 1 year!
What exactly would you like Nokia to do? They have given out N900s to hundreds of developers, they are constantly working on improving the developer tools. They have given plenty of information on what's to come in the next version so that the developers can prepare.

I don't know if N900 will run Maemo 6, but if I had to take a guess I would say it won't be supported officially. But still, would you have preferred them to skip Maemo 5 and N900 completely and move straight to Maemo 6? The "Who will ship first? Pandora or Nokia Tablet"-thread would be going forward at full steam for a year more.

There will be big changes in Maemo 6 compared to Maemo 5. If they are doing it, it's probably for the better. They still have a chance to do big breaks like moving from GTK+ to Qt but it will be a lot more difficult after Harmattan. I personally would hate if compromises would have to be made in Harmattan just for it to run on older hardware.

I think early adopters are generally aware of these realities but still choose to get an N900 because it is what works for them and they know it's not going to suddenly stop working after a Maemo 6 is released!

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
but if it turns out to be just a "prototype" for whatīs to come when Maemo6 is released
"Prototype for what's to come"? Ha!

It might actually have a subset of the N900 features. You just don't know.

Originally Posted by jsa View Post
What exactly would you like Nokia to do? They have given out N900s to hundreds of developers, they are constantly working on improving the developer tools. They have given plenty of information on what's to come in the next version so that the developers can prepare.

I don't know if N900 will run Maemo 6, but if I had to take a guess I would say it won't be supported officially. But still, would you have preferred them to skip Maemo 5 and N900 completely and move straight to Maemo 6? The "Who will ship first? Pandora or Nokia Tablet"-thread would be going forward at full steam for a year more.

There will be big changes in Maemo 6 compared to Maemo 5. If they are doing it, it's probably for the better. They still have a chance to do big breaks like moving from GTK+ to Qt but it will be a lot more difficult after Harmattan. I personally would hate if compromises would have to be made in Harmattan just for it to run on older hardware.

I think early adopters are generally aware of these realities but still choose to get an N900 because it is what works for them and they know it's not going to suddenly stop working after a Maemo 6 is released!
In my opinion, if they are making all this noise about the N900 being more a little computer than a mobile phone, and about the strenghts of Maemo being almost a full blown Linux implementation, itīs hard to understand that such device would be condemned to such short life and suffer from the same shortcommings as other "just mobile phones" out there.

I mean, in practical terms, a cheap new (yet powerful) Acer laptop today costs around 500 euros, and you may even find cheaper offers. Obviously, not only is it a much more powerful device, but you could easily use such laptop for 3 of 4 years without an issue, always using the latest from the Linux community...

How can Nokia justify no extended development support for an N900 considering how much they are charging for it and how they are advertising it? Come on, they want this to look like a real breakthrough, so it better be treated as such...

And you are definitely assuming a LOT about early adopters. I donīt deny some people can afford an N900 now and assume such important shortcommings, but I am sure many people are hesitating to buy an N900 due to its uncertain future, and I am among them.

At the end of the day, we are talking business here. Nokia has an opportunity now to start on the right foot, build a very strong user base which is full of satisfied customers, then build on that. If they try to attract users at all costs, they may end up with a lot of people feeling left out, and we all know how powerful that can be.

I really hope they take care of their users and prioritise their interests over having the latest technology.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GodLikeCreature For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
"Prototype for what's to come"? Ha!

It might actually have a subset of the N900 features. You just don't know.
Relax, I am not assuming anything. "If" states thatīs a condition. Just giving my opinion about a potential outcome.

Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
Don't forget the different delivery channel for the Maemo OS - it's a binary that gets 'flashed' onto the device. It ain't like a linux distro that can accumulate a DVD-worth of legacy cruft to support Pentium3 machines onwards. Size constraints are a very significant factor.

If Maemo6 is well architected, then it may be reasonable to expect an N900 build to be hacked, stripping away any N920-specific hardware dependencies (multitouch frex), yet retaining the desktop sophistications that are envisioned.

Maybe.

The answer is simple:

When has Nokia EVER backported a newer (major version, not just bug fixes) firmware onto older hardware? .. NEVER

I doubt the reason's have been technical but solely about $$$. Encourage older users to buy newer devices, less testing and support for Nokia, designing the same software for both resistive and capacitive.. etc etc.

Unless it allows them to make more $$, I really don't see them doing it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bugelrex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
Unless it allows them to make more $$, I really don't see them doing it.
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me....they ain't a charity. We buy a device in a box...not a lifetime commitment.

Their enlightened stance on open source software is what gives the user community the greatest hope for longevity. I applaud them heartily for that.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
When has Nokia EVER backported a newer (major version, not just bug fixes) firmware onto older hardware? .. NEVER
Um, two Hacker Editions and, well, Mer (if indirectly) seem to refute your point.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Um, two Hacker Editions and, well, Mer (if indirectly) seem to refute your point.
isn't that a community effort instead of Nokia? (dunno, just asking)

Tags
compatibility, future, harmattan, harmattan is for new $$$, maemo, maemo 6, n900, speculation, upgrade