Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Mer, yes, but I don't think the ti driver will be a big improvement: it will only help with desktop effects, and once the novelty wears off it will work equally well without.

Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by luca View Post
Mer, yes, but I don't think the ti driver will be a big improvement: it will only help with desktop effects, and once the novelty wears off it will work equally well without.
True, however many have said the same thing about Beryl/Compiz-Fusion/Compiz on the Linux desktop, but I use it every day and have come to find myself using many of its usability features daily...I actually find that I miss it when I don't have it available.

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Keene NH USA
Wow! go to the bathroom....come back.....and look what happens!!!

actually....i have been away from the forums since late Spring. i spent the Summer and early Fall doing all the stuff i usually do....including travelling and going camping . everywhere i travelled to saw me and my trusty n800 surfing the net looking for directions, checking my emails, checking the weather or looking what was playing at the movies in a town i was visiting.

i just happened to pop in yesterday to look what was new at Internet Tablet Talk and noticed that there was hardly anything left for n8xx users and most threads seem devoted to the phone and n900 stuff.

my n800 has kept me connected to a portion of my online life while i was on the road or away from home. i was amazed at the number of places i could get wi-fi connections. i was able to surf while camping at two different places over the Summer. my n800 was the perfect companion for my daughters and i when we were in a motel room.

when not able to connect to the net......i have used it to read eBooks and play music. my daughter also used it to play games while we drove along. we also used it to watch a few movies at night while camping.

my n800 fills the niche i wanted it to. i dont want to lug around a laptop and my NIT fits easily in all of my back pockets way better than a netbook.

i dont want it to make calls. i have a cheap, no frills cell phone for that.

i am not a programmer and i find the current method of using the "application manager" to add and remove programs runs as good or better than old windows 3.1 and very doable for me.

i am all UP for trying this MER thing when it is ready. after reading this thread.......am i correct in assuming that MER will be an OS that will replace diablo eventually?

will MER be something that i have to install on one of my n800's SD cards and run as part of a dual-boot system? or will it be a new firmware thing that will replace diablo like diablo replaced chinook ?

will MER be something that you real smart guys, tech geeks and nostalgia zealots work on going into the future like those guys that still do stuff to those old sinclair zx80's?

will there be a website for MER that will let us less tech gifted people learn how to install and use MER and where the application manager of MER goes to update or get us programs that folk write for it?

someplace like the internet tablet school or thoughtfix's blog where newbies can learn from the more experienced on how we can keep using our n8xx's as far into the future as we can?

both of those resources are what convinced me to by my n800 and try something Linux as apposed to windows and to NOT get into the money pit i had seen my freinds with ipod touch and iphone fall into.

i know i ask a lot of questions.....sorry....but one last one.

does it make sense or does someone think that MER can be made into a distro that will work on an inexpensive netbook. like one of these i hear about that use ARM chips for long battery life, run cooler, instant on and lighter?

thanks in advance - chriS

Hi everyone,
are there any news about installing Maemo 5 on Nokia N810?
What about Mer? When will be available a new Mer edition (with Maemo 5)
Thanks!

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Threads merged.

Originally Posted by lucag View Post
are there any news about installing Maemo 5 on Nokia N810?
What about Mer? When will be available a new Mer edition (with Maemo 5)
Please read back through this thread.

I've read almost everything....
So, When will be available a new Mer edition (with Maemo 5 and it's UI)?
Thanks

I bought my N810 7 months ago and lost it after 3 days. I just found it now and found out that my 2 year old son had hid it inside the closet in a dark corner! Anyway, my question is:

I see now that there is Maemo 5 and I think I have OS2008. I am having problems installing some applications and it keeps saying application package required.. Can I install Maemo 5 on my N810? I am using a Windows installer. How can I download Maemo 5 and where? If I put in my device's serial # it will automatically take me to OS2008. I appreciate any help!

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
you cant. hack could be possible but performance would suck totally.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 374 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hungary
I found this, if I use Maemo 5 root image, will it work on N810, of course, all the N810 drivers are included into the fremantle rootimage. Has anyone already tried to creat a rom?

http://wiki.maemo.org/Modifying_the_root_image

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
No. ARMv7 vs ARMv6+VFP.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Tags
770, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, n800, n810, os2008, upgrade