Active Topics

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2012/02/network.html

^^ Some news
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
... which you read as "it started it started out as a general UI for larger screens"?
No, which I read as being more informative than what you quoted from the website. Plus, I said AFAIK. Plus, what you quoted is what it purportedly is (present tense) intended for. Not how it started out.

Anyway, sorry if my earlier post offended you. I meant it to be light hearted, but maybe it came across wrong.

Here is the KDe announcement of Plasma Active:

http://kde.org/announcements/plasma-active-one/

"With release Three, we will begin implementing additional device form factors such as settop boxes or handhelds. Plasma is built with the philosophy of "highly componentized, re-usable and re-composable interfaces". This allows us to move from device type to device type...
Plasma Active One images have been tested and are supported on the WeTab, ViewSonic ViewPad, ExoPC tablets and the Lenovo Ideapad. More information on device compatibility can be found here. Plasma Active may install and work on other Intel-based devices as well. ARM device support is still in development. However, Plasma Active has been successfully installed and runs on Nokia N900 and other ARM devices.
So yes, I still believe it was on larger screen devices first, and then later partially ported to N900 (which didn't seem as complete as it is on Sparc). I'm still not sure how well it will work for 4 inch displays.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
So yes, I still believe it was on larger screen devices first, and then later partially ported to N900 (which didn't seem as complete as it is on Sparc). I'm still not sure how well it will work for 4 inch displays.
Not really ported, just installed on top of Mer on n9x0 without any modifications. It's pretty simple to try and see (YMMV). I haven't tried it in months so can't really comment about the diff.

But yes, that version of plasma is not designed for handsets. In any case the plasma stuff is open, highly configurable, modular, etc. so if one doesn't want to wait for someone to do the work for them one can start doing it now.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
There are some comments on openness here:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTA1NjY

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
i still dont understand why didnt they go with allwinner a10 tablet as it has an open source kernel(not to mention same price and more powerfull hardware)...is somebody here connected to the development and could explain this idiotism
http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/kernel_compile/

btw amlogic is 13$ a piece and allwinner is 7$, this makes the thing even more horrible, hope that this developers stop with endorsing this closed gpl violating piece of sh*t and switch to an actually open platform

Last edited by GrimyHR; 2012-02-12 at 16:36.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Well, they mention that if everything goes well with this one, they want to also provide more powerful hardware in of the blogposts.

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Well, they mention that if everything goes well with this one, they want to also provide more powerful hardware in of the blogposts.
dont care, untill they stop supporting this kind of gpl violating closed source manufacturers im not stoping with valid criticism...no one can justify their platform choice, at least no one who supports FOSS

more info for the choice they logicaly should have made
http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/
main part being:
Unsurprisingly, this CPU has been chosen as the first CPU for an EOMA-68 CPU module. The critical decisive factor however was the immediate support of Allwinner's Board of Directors for releasing full GPL Source Code, to help the RHT Initiative to foster better relations and closer ties with Free Software Developers.

Last edited by GrimyHR; 2012-02-12 at 17:35.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
The latest blog announces that the:
Spark pre-order registration is open!
Spark tablet pre-order registration is now open on the Make Play Live website.

This is a huge and exciting step forward for the project as it starts to bring our logistics together.

By registering now you will help us gauge initial demand so we can serve that demand appropriately. When order processing open, you will receive an email with the order link and a priority order code which will jump your order to the front of the line.

We will also have a little gift waiting for you in the Make Play Live store.

Over the next two months we will be unveiling more and more about Make Play Live on the website. Fun things like the Spark logo and branding will be unveiled; but important information will also start to appear, such as how you can get involved as an app developer, how to join our logistics network on the retail side and further details on our long term roadmap. I'll of course keep you all in the loop here on my blog as things move forward.

Head on over to Make Play Live to register your interest now and help us spread the word around the 'net and amongst your friends. Together we can make Spark a terrific success and show the world how great an open device experience can be.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
You'll also be supporting the mission of making open devices by helping us understand initial demand.
and part of your money will go to a manufacturer that violates gpl...
what a joke

Last edited by GrimyHR; 2012-02-16 at 21:49.