Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
about screen size and resolution:

is there any reason why they'd stick with 800x480 on such a small screen? it already was luxury on the current tablets, but seriously: which kind of application would benefit from such a high dpi value? I don't see the point of it any longer. very confusing.
3.5" is the size of the 480x320 iPhone and iPod touch screens. I own an iPod touch 2G, and believe me, I can think of plenty of benefits of a Nokia Maemo 800x480 OMAP3 iPod touch clone (no keyboard). For me, smaller and lighter is better; like Benson said, I can always move it closer to me face. My n810 and my n800 are tanks compared to my iPod. So, the screen size is actually something I like, it's the hardware (or lack thereof) surrounding it that I would have a problem with.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I know of a *possible* additional device. There were hints. But whatever it is/was/may be, it was kept much, much better hidden from the Nokia rank and file than Rover (RX-51) was. My queries went nowhere.
Aha! Some (unofficial) confirmation at last that Rover and RX-51 (the Lead device) are one and the same...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I'm just highly doubtful I could use Rover as my auto's GPS device, the way I do with my N810-- the latter being just barely acceptable visibility-wise.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by Aisu View Post
Hm... did you just confirm you know of another maemo device?

I sure hope so. I won't buy this... thing.
No, he said "one of the other devices", with an S. Thus, he is confirming more than one other Maemo device.

Last edited by mullf; 2009-05-25 at 16:51.

Originally Posted by EIPI View Post
Aha! Some (unofficial) confirmation at last that Rover and RX-51 (the Lead device) are one and the same...
I'm no longer bound to secrecy. You can thank Nokia for making me jobless.

However, I'll still only go so far. The possibility of going back to Nokia is slim-to-none (more device business layoffs coming) but I still need to network in that space...

Originally Posted by mullf View Post
No, he said "one of the other devices", with an S. Thus, he is confirming more than one other Maemo devices.
Please read more carefully. I didn't confirm that.

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
No, you didn't confirm that.

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
OK, so we gather now that Nokia's announcement of Maemo 5 left out the fact that the lead device would be a phone as well. I think some indications in SDK's pointed to that. What remains to be seen now is what the RX-71 is all about.

The Following User Says Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
After a little thought. The only way it (having voice and 3.5" screen) makes sense with the N97 so close in launch is if this is a transitional device. The reason could be that on super-high end phones (like the N97 is for Nokia) you can't experiment. If it sucks, it damages the whole generation devices and even the brand itself. Hence, make a shadow N97-with-maemo device and experiment with Maemo telephony in public. If this chimera device works out, the next Nseries generation can move to a Maemo derivate (which would be the final, fifth generation) without fear of user acceptance. This strategy is only valid is there IS another device in the queue, as Rover is not more a N810 replacement than the N97 is.

Ahh. Nothing like the smell of fresh speculation in the morning
Ding! And what you say matches with my thought that the N97 probably was originally a Maemo device. Makes me wonder if that device that Eldar was talking about earlier this year with the morphing keyboard was a higher end Maemo 5 device. uhmmmm...

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
IIRC RX-71 may well be that top-secret device. Details were locked down tighter than Nokia's support for Ovi.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile