Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Here's another one - https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4618

I remember getting pissed off at Nokia because they wouldn't include the rotation patch into the Diablo kernel and xserver. But it would be a supported mode in Fremantle and that was, er, the end of that bug. Now, the bug above points out something wrong with the way Nokia's doing this implementation and it's a WONTFIX. The WONTFIX issue never bothered me before (say, except for the diablo rotation bug) but if Nokia are already giving out the WONTFIXes - for legit bugs - in their new OS, then they can **** off.
I currently see two areas of big frustration for 3rd party developers: Theming not working for some widgets because of widget functionality that was never tested/covered by official Nokia applications, plus the portrait mode mentioned here.
For both issues several bug reports exist in maemo.org Bugzilla.
Feel free to vote for them.

Of course the best solution would be if Nokia covered every possible setting of any widget, but I guess that's quite unrealistic and costs a lot of time and money.
So at least the documentation should be TOTALLY CLEAR about what is supported and what is not.
And as far as I see this is what Nokia is currently made aware of and also gets discussed internally within Nokia - so it's quite good that people in the maemo.org community made some noise about this, but keep it constructive. :-)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Not to mention that currently filling the (JFFS2) root filesystem eats up RAM as well.
According to https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2615#c73 JFFS2 is not used in Fremantle anymore.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
According to https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2615#c73 JFFS2 is not used in Fremantle anymore.
Yeah, that's why I specified it explicitly ;-) I understand Fremantle will use UBIFS for the root filesystem, and that doesn't suffer from this issue.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Yeah, that's why I specified it explicitly ;-) I understand Fremantle will use UBIFS for the root filesystem, and that doesn't suffer from this issue.
Is that true? I thought it would use plain ext2 over a block device (à la Palm Pre).

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Is that true? I thought it would use plain ext2 over a block device (à la Palm Pre).
Yes, it's true. Check the kernel changelog.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Since the filemanager discussion was in this thread I thought it would be interesting to link back for people who might not read maemo news...

http://tabletui.wordpress.com/2009/0...-file-chooser/

So there *is* some additional magic going on, but we have yet to see how well it does in real life

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
As far as we know... The relevant parts of the Fremantle beta kernel rx51_defconfig are:
Code:
CONFIG_MTD_UBI=y
CONFIG_MTD_UBI_WL_THRESHOLD=4096
CONFIG_MTD_UBI_BEB_RESERVE=1
CONFIG_UBIFS_FS=y
CONFIG_UBIFS_FS_LZO=y
CONFIG_UBIFS_FS_ZLIB=y
CONFIG_EXT2_FS=m
CONFIG_EXT3_FS=m
Which means the kernel can't mount an ext2/ext2 root filesystem (there's no initfs either in Fremantle).

Keep in mind also that ext2 & family (especially the journaled versions!) are not very well suited for a raw flash device (SD cards that do their own wear leveling are a different story). The UBIFS page has a lot more info than you probably ever wanted to know on the subject ;-)

Oh, and I should add UBIFS was developed by Nokia.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
So there *is* some additional magic going on, but we have yet to see how well it does in real life
Just to be clear, wazd is in no way associated with Nokia or Maemo Devices.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Portrait mode in Conboy focusing on reading notes? Alright, makes sense. In such case portrait mode is probably associated with one hand usage / on the go. What about offering the notes sorted by last edited with a visible button offering to change view to last opened sorting? This would most probably satisfy use cases like shopping list, speeches, memos, classroom notes... Probably better than defaulting to alphabetical sorting.

Probably that makes sense for landscape too?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Just to be clear, wazd is in no way associated with Nokia or Maemo Devices.
That's right. He works for Mer Devices.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: