Poll: Will you buy the Nokia N900?
Poll Options
Will you buy the Nokia N900?

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
"Soooo, you're suggesting only POSITIVE" ... i mean do not make negative comment based on rumor ...
but this is the same things for positive.

You can do explain your point of view, give your argument. But some here tends to say it s shame 'x whining reason' ... and that without any officials specs ...

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
[...] a developer discount program.
Can we stop calling it a "developer discount program[me]": the last one (N810), and possibly even the one before that (N800), were pitched at developers, bloggers, community advocates, bug triagers, community enhancers etc.

Basically, anything you can get karma for.

You don't have to be a developer to get karma, and you didn't have to be a developer to get a discount code. The "I can't contribute because I'm not a developer" meme should be long dead - it's not been in Nokia's criteria for who gets the cheap devices for a long time.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
How about buy if the price is right ?

I can't keep justifying my gadget fetish by buying $700 phones every 1 year ...
If price wasn't a factor, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Edit : that was the first vote as Other.
Has the $700 price tag been confirmed? It would be a shame if the price tag is so high.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by st5150 View Post
Has the $700 price tag been confirmed? It would be a shame if the price tag is so high.
why?? The iphone is 699, TP is 600, pre is 595, blackberry touch is around 600. is this in the same class, or well above it? the functionality has been greatly extended from the N800. If you want a sub 500 device, maybe an old Diablo device or an N95/N86 would serve you better. This isn't just a tablet, its a phone first, so it's in line.

(Maybe this is why Eldar has it and the cheapo guys in here don't...)

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
By Eldar, who is in the know. He's hardly ever wrong, and he said it first, but without seeing it, don'lt you expect it'll cost more than the N97. If you want it to sell, and you want Nokia to make money, it must be this price. I knew when i saw it I needed to save about 600-800 bucks, Nokia's price for all of its top of the line phones. Look on the bright side. E90 was 1200 dollars!

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
"Soooo, you're suggesting only POSITIVE" ... i mean do not make negative comment based on rumor ...
but this is the same things for positive.
You've left a very narrow margin for what you CAN talk about, then. As has been said many times before--you really can't make a decision one way or another on whether to buy JUST what has been confirmed. Secrecy breeds speculation and you can't run this kind of poll without either explicit or implicit speculation running the show.

Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
You can do explain your point of view, give your argument. But some here tends to say it s shame 'x whining reason' ... and that without any officials specs ...
I believe I have presented and explained my point of view about whether I'd buy or not buy this device along with explanation. Not everything about this device 'sucks'. You're hearing all the negativity about why I (so far) wouldn't buy this device based on what I know for certain along with what I'm likely to speculate about this device based on previous experience with Nokia devices and the company. It seems unfair to call it whining. I might just as well claim that you're whining. That would make the thread a real mess.

If you want an answer ONLY based on what we know so far, then why are you participating in a speculative thread about whether or not any given person would buy this unreleased device?

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
why?? The iphone is 699, TP is 600, pre is 595, blackberry touch is around 600. is this in the same class, or well above it? the functionality has been greatly extended from the N800. If you want a sub 500 device, maybe an old Diablo device or an N95/N86 would serve you better. This isn't just a tablet, its a phone first, so it's in line.

(Maybe this is why Eldar has it and the cheapo guys in here don't...)
That's not really a productive argument, given that a simply updated N800 device (newer OMAP, newer but similar hardware and design (dpad and two SD slots ftw).. maybe even with a few newer features or at least a better battery life) would not have costed anywhere near as much as the N900. If it had one or two internal USB ports, it would also have opened it up to a LOT more interesting hacks and upgrades, too.

Ultimately, if the N900 could have followed in the IT footsteps, it would have been incredibly useful and in its own category instead of what appears to be a 'me too!' in the iPhone competitors category.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Coming from the NIT side and not from the high end phone side, $700 seems way too high. I never priced high end phones. I was hoping the phone capabilities of the N900 would mean more people would buy it, the maemo community would grow and we'd all benefit from it. A $700 price tag won't achieve this. When I first heard about the N810 and Maemo, it was on sale for about $350 from Nokia's website. I believe $400 was the normal price on the website. Needless to say, if the price tag is $700, I'll be holding off for a while.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Can we see comments from others please...

Coming from the NIT side and not from the high end phone side, $700 seems way too high. I never priced high end phones. I was hoping the phone capabilities of the N900 would mean more people would buy it, the maemo community would grow and we'd all benefit from it. A $700 price tag won't achieve this. When I first heard about the N810 and Maemo, it was on sale for about $350 from Nokia's website. I believe $400 was the normal price on the website. Needless to say, if the price tag is $700, I'll be holding off for a while.
I don't know what country it is, but I am assuming United States by the use of the dollar sign. $700 is way to high if they want to compete with Android/Pre/iPhone/Blackberry, etc..

I think at most the 32 GB iPhone 3GS is what $399?

As for am I buying it? Maybe later in its life if I haven't gone with Android or an iPhone.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Tags
interest, n900, poll