Posts: 96 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sweden
QUOTEfranklinn;336455
The MySymbian review is far too lenient ! Nokia may well have written it.

be careful with accusations like that, My Symbian is a hero in my book (imagine how much time spent putting that together )until proven otherwise

QUOTEfranklinn;336455
I think I'll stick to my brilliant N810 and trusted Symbian phone for now.[

No one forces you to do anything

Last edited by McChicken; 2009-09-30 at 13:24.

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
im really hoping for ATLEAST 1GB of application space (games count too right? (..because if Homeworld gets ported, it will chew up 500Mb...and i need my Homeworld on the go, 65Mb space would kill me)

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by My-Symbian.com View Post
P.S. I've heard about enabling the USB host not being possible on the N900 due to some hardware restrictions, but I kept it in the preview until I verify it myself :-)
Thanks for the great preview, Michael. If I might make two suggestions if you are going to update it: I think you should remove the USB host mode stuff in your preview until it is proved it is possible, rather than keep it in in your preview until it is proved it is not possible. You run the risk of misleading or disappointing potential buyers, otherwise.

Also, on the repository bit, you mention that the user can add loads of repositories. Although this is technically true, I imagine for most of your readers, this will be their first Maemo device (and possibly first Linux computer), and the general advice for new users is to stick to the Maemo Extras repository, at least at the beginning. I appreciate that it is good to emphasise that this device isn't limited to a single App Store, so maybe say something like "By default the device comes with a 'Maemo Extras' repository enabled, which is where most of the extra software will be found. You are not limited to this repository, though, and can add other repositories to the system. However, it is safest to stick with the Maemo Extras repository, at least until you are experienced on the device".

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by franklinn View Post
The MySymbian review is far too lenient ! Nokia may well have written it. I will take this review with a pinch of salt however thorough it seems. It appears Nokia has dropped the ball here - lousy keyboard with no Dpad, fragile screen which appears a fingerprint magnet, lack of basic features eg MMS, limited potrait mode etc.

I think I'll stick to my brilliant N810 and trusted Symbian phone for now.
Well good luck with that. Noone is forcing you to switch to the n900. Personally I found the review well written and balanced. I dont think Michal went out of his way to be a fanboy. He posted pictures and videos untouched and gave us a great way of knowing the quality of a major component of the phone.
He has since come back and given us his experiences with the battery etc and his roundup of the software was in depth and straight shooting.

I really dont see how you could fault the (p)review.

But as I said, noone is forcing you to get an n900, if you are happy with your 810 then more power to you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
I'm just saying that it's there so we shouldn't ignore it, otherwise there'll be a new thread every week where someone did something stupid and filled up / because they weren't worried about checking it.
Drink !

Anyway, from my talks with Nokia folks I'm still under the impression this thing is still pretty fluid, the "don't worry" means something along the lines of yes-it's-an-issue-but-we-are-aware-of-it-and-intend-to-deal-with-it.

Also, not mentioned, but if still remains an issue or fixed in Harmattan, with the given partition layout cloning/multiboot should be a million times easier than on N8x0.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by My-Symbian.com View Post
On my SW version, it seemed that "smart dial" worked with the hardware keyboard only, i.e. in the landscape orientation only. Actually, when I used the hardware keyboard to start typing (which opened the Phone app with the "smart dial" input bar) and then closed the keyboard, which caused the Phone app to switch to portrait, I could continue typing using the virtual keyboard, but it wasn't possible to open the virtual keyboard directly in portrait mode, as there is no text field to tap on, and the virtual keyboard opens only when you tap on an input field...
Do you mind filing a bug report. I think it'll be very useful to be able to use the t9 keyboard without opening and closing the landscape keyboard.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Really seriously, that's when I start worrying. Usually, when I hear phrases like that, it's from a salesman, and I walk away. In my experience, "don't worry" means start looking around, it won't work like you're being led to believe.
Your cynicism is certainly productive.

As my-symbian pointed out there are many ways this might become a problem for a typical user.
. . . and as I've tried to point out, we've been working to ensure that it wont be.

Tell me that any app that gets through Extras QA has a hard limit on the total size of files it can install or (at some later point) write in /. Tell me that a user will have to jump through multiple warnings and hoops to install a 3rd party repository. Even given all that, some users will blindly click and install anything from anywhere.
These users are an extreme minority, you make it sound as if every 3rd user is going to install 500 200KB packages or 100MB of 3rd-party packages from a non-Extras source. This is essentially absurd. Even with the more pressing limits of the N800 and N810, only a very small minority of users ever really hit the wall with space limitations.

We're working to prevent this from multiple angles. I'm not trying to sweep it under the rug, but given the work that's been going on to deal with the limits, it's certainly not a severe enough issue to make it appropriate material for a product preview where the majority of readers will not be equipped to understand the warning and head it appropriately. The likely reaction is going to be "Man, I don't want to buy this if it's only got 65MB of space for stuff." rather than, "Ah, there should be plenty of application space available, I just need to be careful about where I get my applications from." and that doesn't help anybody.

I'm just saying that it's there so we shouldn't ignore it, otherwise there'll be a new thread every week where someone did something stupid and filled up / because they weren't worried about checking it.
Unless we insert a long explanation about /opt, NAND memory and eMMCs into every preview and review that gets released? I think not.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2009-09-30 at 19:53. Reason: Type/clarification

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Anyway, the perfect place for game data such as 500 MB Homeworld would still be the 20-something GB VFAT data partition. So, don't worry!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 232 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Chicago/D.C./Katowice
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Anyway, the perfect place for game data such as 500 MB Homeworld would still be the 20-something GB VFAT data partition. So, don't worry!
mmmmm homeworld

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
I don't want be an alarmist but I have my doubts about this opt thing yet.

I am concerned because:
  • *Some* of the Qt4 libraries are going to be installed to /usr/lib [1]

People will develop in Qt more and more, so there will be popular Qt applications, and the users will want to install them. If they depend on (for example) libqt4-svg libqt4-opengl libqt4-webkit libqt4-gui and libqt4-network, almost 40MB of / will go out.
  • It isn't decided yet if Python packages will use /opt (hopefully) [2]
    The most useful python libraries will use ~30MB

But plans could change, so take it with a grain of salt.

[1] https://garage.maemo.org/pipermail/q...er/000872.html

[2] https://garage.maemo.org/pipermail/p...er/000940.html

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post: