Active Topics

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I guess I don't understand this thread, but just in case I do understand some of it, I will say that for most problems including the reboot problems I had (five of them with the earlier firmware) I never needed access to my Linux system (although I have one) and the worst and most extreme thing I ever had to do to get a working system was reflash using the Nokia software from a Windows computer. So I would feel quite confident in Iraq that I could keep my N800 running just fine.

(It is amazing what disparate problems we can have starting from such a similar environment!)

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by hircus View Post
You do highlight a problem -- when I got bitten by this bug myself, I sent my device in for servicing, and the repair center was not aware of this common problem -- they asked Nokia to replace the device, but I found out about the software issue first and asked for the device to be returned unrepaired.

Nokia definitely should ensure that
1) their repair centers know how to diagnose the tablets
2) common problems are highlighted on their support page
3) a live CD should be provided that you can just boot and will automate the repair task

After all, I can't imagine how much they are losing from users returning devices that are fine hardware-wise.

The new firmware is supposed to be less prone to the constant-rebooting issue, though.
You bring up good points, and I like your suggestions.

As you noted, the rebooting issue isn't solely a hardware problem, given that the vast majority of cases can be fixed via firmware. And as I've noted, this issue isn't as widespread as some posters have made it out, especially the hardcore cases. Thus the need for rational dialog on the subject as opposed to hand-wringing and hyperbole. Posts like yours are very helpful in that regard.

I share your concern about the repair situation. It's in a company's best interest to provide thorough communications and respond effectively to feedback, or else they'll certainly spend an inordinate amount of time on in-house repairs that are unnecessary. Nokia can do much better in that area, and to that extent I'm offering what I can. Unfortunately, I can't provide an official final word; that's for Dr. Jaaksi.

As I told another poster, when I put my consumer hat on I'm willing to let certain shortcomings with the N800 support slide due to the newness of the platform. However, if these issues aren't ironed out by the next gen device, I'm going to be right there with the people I think are going overboard right now.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I guess I don't understand this thread, but just in case I do understand some of it, I will say that for most problems including the reboot problems I had (five of them with the earlier firmware) I never needed access to my Linux system (although I have one) and the worst and most extreme thing I ever had to do to get a working system was reflash using the Nokia software from a Windows computer. So I would feel quite confident in Iraq that I could keep my N800 running just fine.

(It is amazing what disparate problems we can have starting from such a similar environment!)
Hi geneven,

I guess you were directing this at me considering you mentioned Iraq. The point is, I could not get it running after reflashing, reflashing, reflashing, reflashing, reflashing, and finally reflashing. Six, count'em six reflashings and no joy. Sorry but I do not share your optimism regarding just reflash and go. Needless to say, I will take my Mac with me and have my N800 as an extra device. Once these issues are worked out, and I am pretty confident it will eventually, I will have a bit more faith in the N800 as a quasi-replacement device.

Cheers.

Hey Sapporo, I've bounced around various "places" in Iraq with my N800 and no problems. Some things I will suggest for that environment:

1) Keep that sucker in a ziplock bag when you're not using it (keeps most of the dust out)

2) Put a screen protector on it

3) If military, keep it in your hooch and don't take it outside the wire. It's a distraction you don't need. If not military, then do whatever.

4) Don't put it in your battle-rattle (read: LBV/body armor). It will only get crushed. After seeing an iPod die this way, I don't keep any electronics in my gear.

It's great for reading books and watching videos on long flights though. Right now I'm running through several seasons of "Top Gear".

Originally Posted by hircus View Post
You don't need to return them due to reboot issues -- most of the time, what you need is to use the Linux flasher to set the device to R&D mode, turn off the lifeguard reset option, and then return the device to normal mode.
I'll be sure to give this a go next time...hopefully there is no next time though...thanks!!!

Hello All,

I've had my N800 for about 2 days and it has been restarting randomly quite a bit. I've reflashed twice. On the last flashing the device crashed while I was setting the language from English(UK) to English(US). Should I take the unit back and request a replacement? Or call Nokia? Any suggestions? I really like this device but not if its this unstable.

Thanks for any help...
-dustin

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by fadeddata View Post
Hello All,

I've had my N800 for about 2 days and it has been restarting randomly quite a bit. I've reflashed twice. On the last flashing the device crashed while I was setting the language from English(UK) to English(US). Should I take the unit back and request a replacement? Or call Nokia? Any suggestions? I really like this device but not if its this unstable.

Thanks for any help...
-dustin

You are under warranty for sure. I would not even bother to mess with it (some will suggest you get a Linux CD and go into some R&D mode to possibly fix this issue) unless this is something you like to do and have the time to do it. I had the same thing and took mine back and got a brand new one.

P.S. Have you verified that you are using the latest firmware?

Thanks for the advice, but this seems like a real issue with the device. The above recommendation basically disables a watch for system faults (such as service crashes due to lack of memory) that restart the machine. This reeks of bad design. The watchdog is only supposed to kick in when something bad happens, not when I'm switching from UK to US keyboard styles on initial setup. Is this common? In the threads on Maemo it looks like the guy had went through two units and both had this problem...

Any thoughts?
-dustin

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I don't believe in disabling the Watchdog function, and I have never even tried to do so. I don't understand why you all are having such problems; I have been indiscriminately installing every beta whatever I can get my hands on, with no serious problems since I did the firmware upgrade.

I have refrained from going into red dot mode, or whatever you call it, or doing any other obviously risky things. I use my N800 many hours every day and have since January.

If you haven't already done so, reflash to the newest firmware.

Depending on what you do, you can easily hose your N800 and create a dependency issue.

Start over and make incremental changes--good luck!