Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Stop blaming the kind of people here and start answering questions with details.

You're wrong about the CPU, you're speculating about the apps with no concrete idea of what's to expect; you're hoping it does what you wish it will do just like other people are withing that PR1.2 and whatnot will do what they want to do.

I'm cut from a different cloth. I don't deal with speculation very well. You may wish to find out more details first.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
@lcuk you can find all symbian source code and packages in below link, getting that running on n900 would be a lot of HARD work
http://developer.symbian.org/main/source/index.php
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Your not wrong there lol porting symbian to linux is not an easy task in any way but its a shame the linux os for the n900 is not structured properly because its wide open to damage caused by the apps developed changing its structure instead of working outside of it leaving the basic os intact and unchanged.
who said anything about porting to linux.
I spoke about booting symbian on the n900

you know, like we have been told we can dual boot dev versions of meego alongside maemo..
tripleboot (or if space constrained just single flashable image choice of X operating system)

open source to me means open choices.
give us the option, the hardware is capable.

(I speak as a fremantle OS developer and adore maemo on n900, I just don't see why there should be real technical roadblocks)

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
who said anything about porting to linux.
I spoke about booting symbian on the n900

you know, like we have been told we can dual boot dev versions of meego alongside maemo..
tripleboot (or if space constrained just single flashable image choice of X operating system)

open source to me means open choices.
give us the option, the hardware is capable.

(I speak as a fremantle OS developer and adore maemo on n900, I just don't see why there should be real technical roadblocks)
Money. What is the business case for Nokia to do this in tight economic times?

Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
Money. What is the business case for Nokia to do this in tight economic times?
He said technical roadblocks. Money isn't a technical roadblock.

When you swipe your finger across the homescreens on the N900, the transition follows your finger and the background and widget layers move at a different rate. And it does this very smoothly. When you swipe your finger on a Symbian^3 homescreen, it waits until your swipe is complete before the transition occurs.

Although the support and applications are lacking, Maemo 5 just has more potential as an OS than Symbian^3, IMO.

Symbian^3 is a nice improvement over S60v5, but it's still the old Symbian running Avkon. If anything, I would wait for Symbian^4 because of its compatibility breaks.

- mp

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Here are some of my thoughts on Symbian^3:

"Part One":
http://peakmob.blogspot.com/2010/09/...-nokia-n8.html

"Part Two":

http://peakmob.blogspot.com/2010/10/...-batch-of.html

Mainly this is stuff I don't like, but I hope everyone feels like I gave it an honest shot.

Like I say in the second post, I don't mean to flame for the sake of flaming. I call out the things I don't like to have decent grounds in claiming that S^3 is already too old and clunky to compete or ever win my heart.

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/14/nokia-n8-review/

verdict is hardware is awesome, software not so much. cant say im surprised.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by Empower996 View Post
When you swipe your finger across the homescreens on the N900, the transition follows your finger and the background and widget layers move at a different rate. And it does this very smoothly. When you swipe your finger on a Symbian^3 homescreen, it waits until your swipe is complete before the transition occurs.

Although the support and applications are lacking, Maemo 5 just has more potential as an OS than Symbian^3, IMO.

Symbian^3 is a nice improvement over S60v5, but it's still the old Symbian running Avkon. If anything, I would wait for Symbian^4 because of its compatibility breaks.

- mp
OK, so the swipe test proofs Maemo has more potential than Symbian^3 Like the lack of kinetic scrolling on the S60V5 (they all got it now, even the 5800).

I think we will see lots of updates on Symbian^3, and by the time Symbian^4 comes, there won't be that much difference.

I believe Maemo is officially dead as far as Nokia is concerned and from what I gathereed from the reviews/articles I read prior to buying my N900, I don't think they ever had any real plans for it to be a commercial platform like Symbian, otherwise they wouldn't have left it as open as it is.

So being a primarily community run platform, Maemo, like Marmite, is something you either love or hate, depending on what you actually want from your phone. Personally, I'm on the love side of the fence. I just hope that the N900 isn't the last phone to support this truly amazing OS.

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on May 2010 @ UK, London
I have had the N8 since yesterday (13-10-10). I just love the N8, but the N900 still draws more attention. You ask me why? Well, I think that the hardware keyboard and the 'open-ness' of Maemo on the N900 are features which are too good to leave behind. I also love the Maemo community (Yes I know that there are people who are overly positive or overly negative, but hey, at least there is a community)

There is one problem with the N8 so far. There seems to be a problem to connect to wireless networks (WLAN). You can read about it here and here.

Last edited by kevinp93; 2010-10-14 at 21:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to kevinp93 For This Useful Post:

Tags
clueless, delusion, funny farm, home of, therapy