Notices

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Alright, progress - while digging around for the much more important thing (how to auto-enable conky rotation from within conky), I stumbled upon keyboard state being open/closed.

/sys/devices/platform/gpio-switch/slide/state

(In case anyone wanted to know.) So we're one step closer to fully properly rotating Conky.

I'm not ignoring the thing above about $alignr and the values being wierd - I just haven't had time to look at it at all.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2010-10-31 at 15:51. Reason: $alignr comment.

Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
No problem. It's just that I would like to know what I'm doing wrong. I like to learn Some other time.

Well, as you may have seen I posted a thread asking for help. I simply have no idea how to set the auto-rotate flag from the command line, and I have no clue what other documentation I can conceivably look through, so I should have a bit more time to experiment with the alignr and the new features of conky in general over the next few days.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
Values are from 255 to 478 And it looks aligned, not 100% but it doesn't differ that much as values are. On the original file, values were 525 and 490. But I split those uptime/batt and load/processes lines so I can move the graphs .
And now it does look OK but I don't know why my alignr values are all different.
I struggled to get $alignr working properly under the old conky on n900, and I think on my PC too. I ended up using $goto instead.

You've also got to look at the font you are using. Using a non-monospace font can also mess up your tables. On my desktop I ended up using my font (HandelGotDBold) everywhere else and then a monospace on for the table.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
hey guys,
sorry, i was moving to a new house the last weekend so i didn't have time to see what's going on here.
I got enough work done to fix the problems with the .conf file installing and the auto-install for the dependencies just won't work until this is move to a repository. I thought it's not worth doing a new build because it's easy to copy the .conf file, and I assumed the dependency thing is fixable on my end, so I could do that too.
Anyways, I'm sure your ghost conky process is all from when it doesn't load the .conf correctly on your first attempt, if you didn't have a valid .conf installed it just runs invisibly I guess. So either kill it or restart to fix that. Although conky runs in a background process and is launched by a shell script, I have never seen it launch extra processes except when I break the .conf file.
Also the alignr stuff I think is simple, the # you specify is the number of pixels you want to count backwards from the right edge, so if I say something like alignr 500, it's the same as a goto 300, except the text flows the opposite direction. Only reason I used it was so I can align by the unit symbol (%,M) to the right edge of the bars, and a 2 or 3 digit number won't change that.
You can only specify one alignment type per line of text, so I write the text with one alignment, and then on the next line specify a negative vertical offset (pretty much a random number, trial and error) and write the rest of the text.
Okay, I should probably get back to work now, I can't really do anything with conky until I put my computer desk back together, and I lost some screws somewhere. Moving sucks I'll see what I can do about the portrait mode soon though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Well, all you really need to do is link the hildon-always-rotate flag that every app running on the N900 has somewhere, as I understand it - and tie it to a setting that can be set with a yes/no in the conf file. We have the rest already (though if you know how to make conky report whether the window is rotated in landscape or portrait - as opposed to the device's raw accelerometer-determined position), and set that as, say, $orientation variable and $if_portrait and $if_landscape variables (or $if_orientation [portrait/landscape]), that would make things more convenient and less processor intensive to the average portrait-capable configs.

But the latter isn't as necessary. No rush though. It's workable as is. You already contributed ridiculously by making this port.

Also, thanks for clearing up the alignr thing.

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sweden
Hello Do you plan to upload this in the repos to be able to install via App Manager?

Thanks

I believe he will eventually.

Meanwhile, Titan just responded to my pm. He released the latest power kernel. And guess what? That one thing we were missing in kernel, top I/O per process, is supported now. Rejoice, Conky users. You can now get that much more stats from your N900s.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat really?
that's awesome. there goes my night.
latest 1.9.0 build supports image variable $image now
you will have to install "libimlib2" though

i really didn't want to update the kernel, but i got it working now. that boot menu is a ***** to reconfigure!
gonna start looking at that iostats thing now.

damn, top_io just shows the difference between the io value from the update interval as it refreshes. so if you refresh it every second, it's gonna show 0 most of the time
the "diskio_avg_samples" config setting has no effect on this, it's just for the other (non top related) disk io stats. like the graphs for the whole device or whatever.

Attached Files
File Type: txt conky.conf.txt (8.3 KB, 152 views)

Last edited by Creamy Goodness; 2010-11-12 at 08:03.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Repos please! Great app.

Tags
conky